New to all this....help!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by twotonemark, Jul 13, 2003.

1. twotonemark

twotonemark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've been reading through the forum on and off for a few weeks and was going to buy a Sony Dav800 system but changed my mind and have ordered a Pioneer DCS 303 from http://www.homecinemaheaven.com .
    Have also ordered a new Toshiba 28" tv (28zh36) http://www.home-entertainment.toshi...NZDTA?OpenDocument&Product=WEBR-5NZDTA&Stand=.

I'll get to the point now!
    1)I want to now if I buy R1 dvds will there be any difference in picture or sound compared to R2 version when played using the above equipment??

2)Anyone bought from HomeCinemaHeaven and anybody got opinions on Toshiba TVs for picture quality (100hz).

Sorry if this is a no-brainer but I'm new to the world of AV.

Any help much appreciated. (Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong section.

Cheers,
    Mark:)

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    It comes down to each indevidual disc you buy. Discs are often issued with different PQ and sound on different regions. I tend to use dvdcompare to see which version gives best PQ/sound for the price. Region 1 films are NTSC whereas REG2 dvd's are PAL. Your TV is new and should cope with both formats.
    The bulk of my collection are reg1 mainly due to the fact that dvd's tend to be cheaper to import and are released a couple of months before the reg2 is issued. Often there are many variations of the same film available. Each with different sound and picture formats. Directors cut and special editions are prime examples. Try getting disc that are anamorphic and have DTS sound tracks . These tend to be better than DD and non anomrphic transferes but there are exceptions to this rule.

3. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings

I'm no great expert, but, given that the DCS303 is multi-region, it will play R1 content OK. These discs of course will be in NTSC format, so you will need to configure the player and the TV to accept NTSC. I think you will have problems however if you try to play RCE discs. Perhaps other forum members can help on this point. I don't know about your second point. Anyway good luck

4. twotonemark

twotonemark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your speedy replies guys.

5. twotonemark

twotonemark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: My Pioneer system turned up today:clap:

I'm loving every minute of it:)

First dvd to go in was Swordfish just for the explosion at the beginning...the dogs you not what:smashin:

Then tried my region 1 Fast & Furious which played in black and white till I figured out to switch it to PAL:blush:

After that it was Star Wars the pod race:D

All thats missing now is the new widescreen tv..I'm still using an old Amstrad 28" I picked up in Safeway over 4 years ago:rolleyes: Come on tv hurry up

:mad:

Any other happy DCS 303 owners out there?

6. stubags

stubags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just thought I'd add my two penneth.

Supposedly PAL picture quality is better than NTSC. The NTSC line structure is certainly more visible, I beleive there are less lines to NTSC (although I'm sure that there will be more hi-definition discs coming out in future, but then our tvs won't cope with that anyway).

Also, your TV might not be as good at decoding NTSC as it is PAL but maybe issues like this have all cleared up now.

Imports aren't cheaper of late I find. In fact, the internet for buying discs is increasingly threatened by the prices on the high street (if you shop around) I find. However, one thing that concerns me is the cutting of the film, apparently the uk theatrical versions of the Indiana Jones movies due out in November were heavily cut, so I'll want to know whether the dvd will be the full version or not, otherwise I'll buy US.

You should email your supplier of the dvd player to see whether it plays RCE - it probably will since the main problems were with Toshiba's (I've got one - oh dear), but even recent ones of those cope now.

Lastly, you had to select PAL for F&F because your current TV can't cope with NTSC output right? You probably realise this so sorry to teach you how to suck eggs, but you might want to set the player not to convert once you get your new set. Even though NTSC is not supposed to be as good a picture as PAL, I prefer it - it kind of shimmers....

Hope something in her helps - probably not, but it was better than starting my work for the day!

7. twotonemark

twotonemark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

Regarding my region 1 f&f my previous dvd player(ALBA) was multi-region straight out of the box and played the movie fine on the same TV. So thats why I was confused when yesterday the new player was in b&w.

I agree with you that imports aren't as cheap as the high street but the only advantage is the New/Pre-releases in the US are mostly readily available months before here. I've been looking on www.cd-wow.com and its R1 new/pre-releases are priced around £14.99 with free delivery. I suppose it depends how badly do you want a movie that has a couple of months to pass by before its released R2.

RCE? Is this more advanced regional coding to stop multi-region/chipped etc players playing R1 discs?

Cheers,
    Mark.

8. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Hi Mark,

RCE is Regional Coding Enhancement and is as you suspect, a more advanced version of the normal regional coding. It's mostly used by Columbia (Sony-owned) and Warner but not on all titles. Most MR players these days should handle them OK.

Steve

9. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To anyone else out there looking for a new system:

May I recommend the new Tosh 330 with an Acoustic Energy Aego P5 (now only £500).

It is a very limited system, additional components are very limited, future upgrades would require a totally new amp and speakers but for the money the performance is great, and its really really ickle!

Should be able to get alot of change from £650.