Question New to 4K

Bluebell

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've recently had to buy a new TV as my old plasma screen broke down and couldn't be repaired. I'm not that savvy when it comes to AV matters so would appreciate some advice. My new TV is 4K. The installers did not connect up my existing DVD player because the connectors were wrong, but they did connect my existing Sky box. Am I right in thinking that I need to upgrade to a 4K DVD player, and also possibly a 4K Sky box, in order to get decent picture quality?

Hi @Bluebell and welcome to the forums. Just a couple of questions to be able to help you better.

What DVD player do you have

and what is your tv ? :thumbsup:

Hi there, thank you! My DVD player is Sony DAV-S800 and my TV is Sony Bravia OLED KD-48A9.
I see that DVD player as a home cinema set up is that right ? If so it is a fairly old system with not many of the modern connectors. I’ve had a look at the manual here
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4236/42361891M.pdf
I‘m wondering if you could connect it to your tv via video one outputs (see page 23 of the manual.
You would need an adaptor along the lines of that shown In your tv manual
https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...798150a78dcdac8e1166f7d227f86e8/50156621M.pdf item 7 *5 refers. But I couldn’t guarantee that would work.

Your tv will upscale the pictures received from your sky box and DVD player (if it works) to 4K. (but of course it won’t be true 4K) If you want to play 4K blurays you will need a 4K disc player (games consoles for example the Xbox one s, also capable of playing 4K discs).

The end of the day you will have to decide what you want. (Bear in mind you will also be able to get 4K from some of the TVs build in apps such as Netflix, subject to subscription.

I have the Sony xf9005 with a sky hd box, plus an Xbox one S for disc duties and am more than happy with the picture quality.

Hope that helps. Please feel free to ask further questions f you need to. :thumbsup:

Disc playback - your DAV DVD player (system) is pretty limited in terms of video connectivity and video output quality so whilst it would be possible to connect the DVD Player video Out to the TV it is always going to look pretty 'soft'.

If you are happy with the sound quality of the DAV system you could add a Blu-ray or 4K UHD Player to the system (connected to the TV via HDMI) and retain the DAV for audio playback (using Optical Digital Audio from the TV to the DAV) it all depends on how important Disc playback is for you, many folk have moved over to streaming only!

TV - if you use that as the Hub with the single Optical Digital Audio connection to the DAV you can enjoy 4K and upscaled to 4K video with the audio quality you currently enjoy.

Joe

I see that DVD player as a home cinema set up is that right ? If so it is a fairly old system with not many of the modern connectors. I’ve had a look at the manual here
https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4236/42361891M.pdf
I‘m wondering if you could connect it to your tv via video one outputs (see page 23 of the manual.
You would need an adaptor along the lines of that shown In your tv manual
https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...798150a78dcdac8e1166f7d227f86e8/50156621M.pdf item 7 *5 refers. But I couldn’t guarantee that would work.

Yes it's a 5:1 surround sound system. I've ordered one of those cables from Amazon and will give that a try.

Your tv will upscale the pictures received from your sky box and DVD player (if it works) to 4K. (but of course it won’t be true 4K) If you want to play 4K blurays you will need a 4K disc player (games consoles for example the Xbox one s, also capable of playing 4K discs).

The end of the day you will have to decide what you want. (Bear in mind you will also be able to get 4K from some of the TVs build in apps such as Netflix, subject to subscription.

I have the Sony xf9005 with a sky hd box, plus an Xbox one S for disc duties and am more than happy with the picture quality.

Hope that helps. Please feel free to ask further questions f you need to. :thumbsup:

If I get it working, I will run with it for a bit and see how it goes. Thanks for your help 😁

Disc playback - your DAV DVD player (system) is pretty limited in terms of video connectivity and video output quality so whilst it would be possible to connect the DVD Player video Out to the TV it is always going to look pretty 'soft'.

That's kind of what I thought would be the case.

If you are happy with the sound quality of the DAV system you could add a Blu-ray or 4K UHD Player to the system (connected to the TV via HDMI) and retain the DAV for audio playback (using Optical Digital Audio from the TV to the DAV) it all depends on how important Disc playback is for you, many folk have moved over to streaming only!

Yes, I hoped that might be an option, I do like my discs!

TV - if you use that as the Hub with the single Optical Digital Audio connection to the DAV you can enjoy 4K and upscaled to 4K video with the audio quality you currently enjoy.

That would be an ideal outcome, so fingers crossed it all works out. Thanks for your advice 😁

Well, cable has arrived today after a false start ordering the wrong one. Connected it up via Video 1 outputs, but not getting any sound or picture. Looks like these two are incompatible :(

It looks like you have a couple of options for outputting video from your DVD system to the TV. As your TV has a composite video input, then I would have though it should support the resolution your DVD player will output and should work - it might just be a case of configuring everything correctly.

The first and simplest thing to try is the Monitor Out - Video (usually yellow) RCA jack on your DVD system, as that's the one recommended for connecting a monitor in the manual. You would normally connect that to the composite (RCA) video input on your TV but it doesn't look like your TV has the usual combined component and composite inputs, but rather a single (yellow) 3.5mm audio/video AV input instead ?

If that's the case, then your '3 x RCA to 3.5mm jack AV cable' should be suitable.

When selecting the right AV input on your TV, you normally have to select the composite (red/white/yellow) inputs rather than the component inputs but as your TV doesn't seem to have the component option, then it might simply be a case of selecting the AV input.

The other option is to use the VIDEO 1 out (red/white/yellow) jacks, but I can't see a need to output audio from your system to the TV. It's worth a go though if the Monitor jack option doesn't work.

Whichever option you chose, you might find you need to change the video output of the DVD system using the Function button. Make sure you read the notes at the bottom of page 22 of the manual as they might be relevant.

If you do manage to get this working, then I would just consider this a temporary solution. You will get MUCH more out of your new TV by moving over to digital sources such as a 4K Blu-ray player and Black Friday might be a good time to buy.

It looks like you have a couple of options for outputting video from your DVD system to the TV. As your TV has a composite video input, then I would have though it should support the resolution your DVD player will output and should work - it might just be a case of configuring everything correctly.

The first and simplest thing to try is the Monitor Out - Video (usually yellow) RCA jack on your DVD system, as that's the one recommended for connecting a monitor in the manual. You would normally connect that to the composite (RCA) video input on your TV but it doesn't look like your TV has the usual combined component and composite inputs, but rather a single (yellow) 3.5mm audio/video AV input instead ?

If that's the case, then your '3 x RCA to 3.5mm jack AV cable' should be suitable.

When selecting the right AV input on your TV, you normally have to select the composite (red/white/yellow) inputs rather than the component inputs but as your TV doesn't seem to have the component option, then it might simply be a case of selecting the AV input.

The other option is to use the VIDEO 1 out (red/white/yellow) jacks, but I can't see a need to output audio from your system to the TV. It's worth a go though if the Monitor jack option doesn't work.

Whichever option you chose, you might find you need to change the video output of the DVD system using the Function button. Make sure you read the notes at the bottom of page 22 of the manual as they might be relevant.

If you do manage to get this working, then I would just consider this a temporary solution. You will get MUCH more out of your new TV by moving over to digital sources such as a 4K Blu-ray player and Black Friday might be a good time to buy.

Hi Mike tried all those options, but no luck. As you say, it would only be temporary anyway so I don't think I'll waste any more time on it. I've made my mind up this afternoon what player I'm going to go for, so best thing is to get that ordered up and take it from there. Thanks for all your input (and output!) 😁

Next question - I'm going for the Sony UBP-X800M2 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Player. Presumably I'll need to buy a special cable to connect that up to the new TV (Sony Bravia OLED KD-48A9). What sort of cable is that likely to be?

Next question - I'm going for the Sony UBP-X800M2 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Player. Presumably I'll need to buy a special cable to connect that up to the new TV (Sony Bravia OLED KD-48A9). What sort of cable is that likely to be?

Likely to come with a 18gbps hdmi cable anyway, Check what's included.

That would be an HDMI cable. If one doesn’t come with the player one of the Amazon basicHDMI cables will be fine. :)

Point to remember is that the Sonos does not do DTS audio formats.:)

Can you explain the implications of this please?

It depends on what disks you are going to play in the 4K player, DTS is a little superior to the more usual dolby digital tracks.

You will need a modern AV receiver and seperate speakers anyway as the speakers you get in a thin flat screen TV will not do justice to the lossless HD audio tracks you get on 4K bluray disks.

It depends on what disks you are going to play in the 4K player, DTS is a little superior to the more usual dolby digital tracks.

You will need a modern AV receiver and seperate speakers anyway as the speakers you get in a thin flat screen TV will not do justice to the lossless HD audio tracks you get on 4K bluray disks.

Your TV can do Atmos audio so should be fine with any 4k Disk However a proper Atmos AVR will likely do more justice to the audio. However it should work.

OK so I'm going to have great quality pictures, but the audio output may need beefing up, I see. I hope to use the player to play audio CD/SACD so that is a distinct possibility. 'AV receiver' is like the amp in my old audio separates system and that will take the sound, amplify it and send it to more sophisticated speakers. Think I understand, thanks so much for your patience!

If SACD playback is important to you, make sure you check any player specs carefully - I don't think all players support it.

The one I've chosen does (one of the main reasons I chose it) 🙂

That should give the best possible digital audio from optical media.

You might want check out Flac lossless

and Amazon HD Music (which has 24 bit 192 khz refresh_

Do you have raecent iphone ?

That should give the best possible digital audio from optical media.

You might want check out Flac lossless

and Amazon HD Music (which has 24 bit 192 khz refresh_

Do you have raecent iphone ?
I will check these out, thanks. I have iPhone 11.

That would be an HDMI cable. If one doesn’t come with the player one of the Amazon basicHDMI cables will be fine. :)

Point to remember is that the Sonos does not do DTS audio formats.:)
Can you explain the implications of this please?
Sorry, I’ve been in the Sonos Arc folder too much. The comment regarding DTS only applies if you go for a Sonos Arc soundbar. :)

The 4K television of Samsung is one of the best television experience I have ever experienced the picture quality is without any doubt best you can get in any television 4K quality is simply beyond imagination. All the quality is also very good and it is one of the best products I have bought this is the best and it will remain the the best product ever offered by Samsung. It has a very large display, its best for the people with a large rooms 43 inch display is excellent for playing game through your Xbox and PlayStation. This product by Samsung I completely recommend you to buy it as it is really very good.

who said anything about Samsung?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom