New to 360 - Basic wiring question

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Philgismo, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Philgismo

Philgismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a 360 and confused about connection to my TV.
    First, my TV (32" JVC) is not HD but it does have a component input as well as an S-video input. My Xbox came with the Component HD AV Cable. Right now I have it connected using the composite cables and it looks ok, but I was hoping to get cleaner output. Should I buy the s-video xbox cable?
    Or can I connect the Component cables from the HD AV Cable to my TV and keep the switch on TV and not HDTV?
    If I can do both, which is better.

Thanks,
    new to xbox360

2. s-bravia

s-bravia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you shouldnt expect the true power from 360 since your TV is not HD ready and doesnt seem to be able to handle it. Chaing cable or input wont make much different,i guess.

3. Binternet

Binternet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The chances are that your screen is capable of HD, its just that it does not have the DVI/HDCP connection to make it officially "HD Ready". Most screens of that size and age used 768 line pannels anyway and your component connection should be able to handle a 720p output so you may as well try. Just stick the component cables into the TV, flick the HD switch on and go into the setup bit of the dashboard and change the screen res to 720. If it does not work then you will get a far cleaner image by using the component connection at Standard definition rather than using composite or S Video anyway.

4. Philgismo

Philgismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV does have 600 lines.
    So I'll try the component cables.
    But should I move the switch to HD anyway?

5. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    You can still use the component cables for an SD screen, this will give you the best picture. Avoid composite at all costs.

6. Philgismo

Philgismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all,
    I connected using component cables, and the graphics are 100% better.
    I had to invest in a component switch box, because I had to re-wire all my other av components but it was worth it. Actually Circuit City had one for $20. Next I have to get a wireless adapter and get online.

THANKS AGAIN