1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New "titling bug" on Panasonic ES10?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jonathan S, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Jonathan S

Jonathan S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    A month or two ago my ES10 DVD recorder (which I bought new) was apparently cured of the "External Link" bug through Panasonic's upgrade disc. But since then I've encounted a new (if very occasional) problem: the machine has started to enter its own, highly inappropriate titles on the menus of discs as I finalize them! (These titles do not appear until the finalizing process starts, so they cannot be changed or removed.)

Today, for example, I copied a serious Japanese drama (from VHS) and the machine titled it "Abbott & Costello"! I happen to loathe Abbott & Costello so have never recorded or even played any of their films on the ES10.

In fact, I've never used the "enter title" facility - I always leave the menus blank. The machine is not tuned in or connected to any broadcast input - I use it solely for copying tapes. There are no "saved titles". All I can think of is that the machine has picked up a bug from the upgrade disc - perhaps information from an ES10 owned by a previous user of the disc?

Has anyone else had this problem, especially after using the upgrade disc?Any thoughts or solutions would be welcome....

Thanks

Jonathan

2. Zebadiah Twine

Zebadiah Twine
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've used the upgrade disc and recorded from VHS but not had that experience. Whenever I record something that I want to keep I rip the recording to my PC and make my own DVD from it.
    I've had titles given automatically to programs record from satellite TV, but they've always matched the program and not been dependent on finalization.

3. Jonathan S

Jonathan S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for your reply, Zebadiah.

In case anyone shares my curiosity about this, I now think the titles are coming from Ceefax TV schedules which were recorded, perhaps in corrupted form, within the analogue signals of the programmes I'm copying. (I often checked schedules while waiting for a programme to start.) It only happens with off-air BBC programmes - and the other day it did get one right!

Does this seam feasible?

Jonathan

4. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Hi :hiya: , I'm about to take delivery of an ES10. Could you tell me which version of the firmware is on the Panasonic Upgrade disk so I can check it against mine when it's delivered.

Knowing my luck it'll have been sitting in a warehouse somewhere for a few months, and be running a well old version!

Cheers

5. Jonathan S

Jonathan S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi - I don't know which version - Panasonic didn't give any details on the upgrade disc or accompanying letter. Perhaps best to get the disc anyway and if UNSUPPORT or U11 is displayed then it's already up-to-date.

Jonathan