1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tiny offer and its a SAMSUNG? any good?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hearts, Dec 15, 2004.

1. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Tinys new offer 42inch £1298...They say and I quote " The very best 42inch screen Latest generation Samsung Panel with progressive scan"
    Any one go onw? is it any good? Any of you techies any ideas? Is it a bargain or a waste of money?

2. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Personally I would spend the extra couple of hundred pounds and go fo rthe panny from av sales or novatech, both deals are a bargain.

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Extra COUPLE of hundred?

The Novatech deal appears to still be around at £1599 - good value, although you may still need to add a terminal board or converter to that for connecting some components.

As for AV-Sales, you would be looking at the PW7 - an extra SIX hundred quid, and that is just for the panel, no feet / mount, no terminal boards, no converters, etc.

Although it is almost certainly worthwhile spending more than the Tiny, even if it is just to go for a genuine Samsung.

4. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It basically comes to this ......
    £1200 down the drain or £1500 well spent

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Maybe I should put this in my sig..... ?

"I wouldn't touch Tiny with a barge pole" :thumbsdow

6. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have no problem with that viewpoint. But tell me one place that you can actually get a 42" Panasonic screen - new - in a usable configuration (ie. feet or mount, and inputs or converters for a 'typical' installation) for £1500.

Richer Sounds are the only ones that claim to have the PW6 that I know of and selling at £1499 - but that is without the necessary accessories. The Toshiba PW6 rebadge is now £1600, and still without accessories.

Novatech is £1600, and is a fairly complete package - except it is rather limited in RGB/SCART inputs, which would then incur additional cost.

AV Sales no longer have the PW6, so you would have to go for the PW7 starting at £1849 - one terminal board of choice, but no feet / mount.

I am *NOT* saying that that isn't money well spent. But it isn't £1500.

7. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So some varied opinions there.......but what is wrong with the Tiny? what makes this a bad buy and the Panny you recommend a good one?
    Has anyone actually got one of these ? If so whats it like? Anyone even seen one?

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    £1997 inc the PTAE600 tuner has loads of connections add £90 for a mount and you are away with everything
    (not advocating the tuner here but it can be useful especially for less technical users or those who want silly things..... like analogue text..........

9. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Some good deals on the PW6 have come and gone recently (Richer Sounds were flogging them for £1300 last week).

However it is true that Panasonic panels are sold somewhat incomplete and that by the time you have a workable set the cost will have escalated to £1800 or more.

My advice however is is to steer well clear of Tiny, dubious quality products and non existent product support.

10. Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Exactly, they've gone down the pan once and the company that has taken over doesn't have a great reputation either. There's a lot of scepticism of Tiny and it's not because they have a silly name.

11. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    AH ok thanks lads and no offence but ....prejudices against Tiny aside (and I know they are well founded) What about the actual Plasma. Is the Plasma any good? I know the company is shi"e but whats the product like.

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Go get a demo mate.....

13. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not a bad deal, but then EIGHT hundred pounds more than the Tiny. That is nothing like saying 'spend an extra couple of hundred on the Panny'.

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's really only relevant if someone reputable is selling the same product at the same price.

15. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not necessarily - if the product was good, which by definition would include being reliable, the reputation of the company could be considered largely irrelevant.

16. hearts

hearts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you Grahamtriggs exactly my point.

I don't want a reference for the company I want an opinion soley on the product.

17. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Whilst they claim to build with their own electronics, the results are almost certainly not any better than a 'genuine' Samsung (PS42V4SX) - which can be had for less than £1500, and in theory you should be able to price match in JL and benefit from their better warranty conditions.

It is too early to say if reliability (or after sales support) is up to scratch. So in this case you can hardly afford to disregard the reputation of the company - again, you are just better off elsewhere.

The LG is about the same money as the Samsung. The only direct comparisons I've seen have come out in favour of the LG, but I have no experience of the Samsung from which to offer a personal opinion.

There is no doubting that the Panasonics are excellent panels. But unless you can find one of the 'end of line' deals that have been around recently, you are looking at something in the region of £500 premium over that of even the LG/Samsung. What that means to you is something for you to decide.

18. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 'quality' of Samsung panels is well documented throughout these forums where you'll see many examples of these panels taken back to the store for exchange.

The 'reputation' of Tiny as a company who treat it's own customers with contempt is also very well documented throughout the net (just do a simple search).

Unfortunately the chances are that if you ask a Samsung owner (who spent around £1500 on his/her panel) you won't necessarely get a true reflection of the panel's ability to reproduce quality mages.

Of course, it also depends on your own criterias are when chosing a panel (cost/quality). It's a difficult balance to strike, especially with products which are still evolving.

Ultimately it's you money and your choice.

19. mpadgett

mpadgett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the lg 42PX11. a top quality screen, and all you need out of the box, for less than £1500. I did and im not sorry

Mick

20. blued

blued
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll second that Mick. It does all it needs to for me and looks great on the wall.
    £1550 all in including a wall mount I ordered from Keene.

21. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Look at this forum - even the better-known makes go wrong occasionally, so yes it is relevant. If you want to ignore the advice of several people here about the lack of after-sales service, that's up to you, as long as you don't whine about it when it all goes badly wrong for you.

22. ScoobyZ

ScoobyZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I have to post as I used to work for Novatech.

I sat next to someone who sold a respected corporate customer a plasma (LG) from Novatech. It went wrong 3 times. Each time the customer had to pay a £300 collection and return fee for the warranty. He needed the plasma for the business as it was in the lobby so paid with the view of complaining about the fees once it was finally sorted. I believe that they refused to pay both LG and Novatech and the customer was seeking legal advice. However I do not have the outcome of what happened as I left the company.

Thing to remember that this was an account customer that spent a great deal with Novatech on a monthly basis. Imagine how they will treat you if it goes wrong.

My advice would be to stear elsewhere for such an expensive purchase although it is your choice.

23. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    I am sure if you put a wanted thread in the Calssified section you would get a Panny at a good price, people on here always wnt to upgrade.

I have been thinking about getting a 50" one myself recently, although probably wait till after christmas, depends if you mind buying one a few months old?