1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Thomson RPTVs specs

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by eamann, Oct 18, 2003.

1. eamann

eamann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For anyone interested, here are links to the technical specifications of the new Thomson RPTVs (available on the Continent) featuring Hi-Pix technology which Thomson claims gives quasi HDTV quality.

First of all a DLP model and then a 52" one:
    http://www.thomson-europe.com/images/TNE/pdfcontent/vr/sm/en_44dlp540.pdf

http://www.thomson-europe.com/images/TNE/pdfcontent/tv/ps/en_52jw642s.pdf

I have demoed the previous generation 52 JW640S model and was highly impressed by the quality of the image and by the very wide angle of vision, both vertically and horizontally. The new Hi-Pix model should be in the shops this coming week and I am looking forward very much to seeing it.

At 2.900 euros for a 52" screen compared to 5.500 for the 42" Pana 20PA and 6.900 for the new 43" Pioneer, it is a tempting choice.

2. cybamerc

cybamerc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crappy res and no component.

3. data

data

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the 52JW642 in Germany and it has component input with progressive scan capabilities!

4. cybamerc

cybamerc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both PAL and NTSC progressive? How's the image?

5. data

data

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, for PAL and NTSC. But I don't have a source for progressive scan, so no idea how it looks like - sorry!

6. eamann

eamann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Data, thank you for that information. That answers one of the questions I had in my mind.

I would be glad to hear any comments you have to make about your acquisition. Does the Hi-Pix technology make a visible improvement?

I live in Brussels and am waiting for a shop here to stock one of the new xxxJW642S models before making up my mind.

Most of the people on this forum seem to be Toshiba fans, but I personally found that the Thomson xxx640S that I have seen gave a better image. In particular it did not suffer from angle of vision problem that I find with the older generation of Toshiba RPTVs - admittedly I have yet to see the latest model that Demon and his brother have just bought and with which they seem so pleased.

I wonder has anyone seen the Thomson DLP RPTV or read any reviews anywhere?

7. data

data

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I think so, but you should not expect to get a HDTV like picture. What you get is a very good 100Hz picture with no problem in fast scenes. The older technology DVM from the 640s wasn't very good with that. Also the picture quality on using zoom modes is very good.

Before byuing Thomson RPTs I've bought a Toshiba set. But within 3 months it died four times. Each time a got a new set and each time there was an other problem with it. As a result I won't by any Toshiba!

Haven't seen it yes, I think it will take some time until it will be general available.

8. eamann

eamann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your fast reply!

9. cybamerc

cybamerc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the DLP set also have component. It was the one I commented on in my initial reply. No mention of it in the PDF.

10. data

data

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No idea - sorry! But I can't beleave they won't give the same features to it as the CRTs.