1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Thomson plasmas - anyone seen?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steve36, May 30, 2003.

1. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi,
    Unbeatable are advertising the new Thomson plasmas for quite good prices, but has anyone seen one ?
    The model I was most interested in may not actually be out just yet - Thomson 42WB02SU with the external tuner box.
    But for £3,300 it seems quite good, well without seeing one.
    I also assume these are ALiS screens with the confusion as to actual quality/resolution this involves.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve
    (still waiting for the perfect plasma !)

2. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Comet online have the 42WB02S for a bargain of £2499! I've just ordered one even though I can't find much information about it as I ordered a plasma from Comet online before and I returned it with no problem whatsoever. Called them within 7 days and said I wanted to return it (within my rights using the distance selling regulations) and they even picked it up for free. So, I'm thinking that even if I don't like it I'll be able to return it without a problem.

If anyone has got some information on this plasma then please share it! I've googled and not come up with much at all.

Oh, and delivery from comet is only £11.95.

3. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're confusing your consumer legislation.

Distance Selling Regulations only allows you to cancel something BEFORE the service/product is provided or delivered.

It's the Sale of Goods Act that may allow you to reject goods once you have received them, although if there is no fault with them you might be on dodgy ground. "It doesn't match my slippers" isn't a good enough reason for you to get your money back.

mike

4. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'm not a lawyer, but I believe you have 7 days after receipt of the goods (the "cooling off" period).

From the Distance selling regs, regulation 11 ....

chrise, he of citizens advice, can probably clear this up.

Cheers, Carl.

5. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes it is :)

6. spiider

spiider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. Sunil

Sunil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contrast ratio of 600:1 seems rather low for a new plasma...

9. lumpsucker

lumpsucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just returned some kit to 'Dabs' under Distance Selling Regulations after finding it was not compliant with my son's PC. Even got the postage back.

I actually reckon it could be the answer to the 'dead / stuck pixel' dilema. i.e. order it, have a good look at it, send it back under Distance Selling Regulations if there is a pixel problem and repeat the process using different suppliers until perfect pixel panel is recieved :)

must be worth a try cos I for one ain't about to part with £7K and be expected to put up with as many as 15 dead / stuck pixels just because thats the company policy.

Regards

Simon

10. psharrock

psharrock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    the DSD regulation allows 7 working days from the day after receipt to inspect the goods and reject them.

This period can be extended to upto 3 months if the retailer does not make you aware of the regulation.

The refund which must be given within 30 days, must be for the full value of the contract that was cancelled, this includes any services that were included in the contract. Eg Delivery etc.

There is however a debate as to if the DSD regulation applies once you have 'used' it. Part of the regulation states the goods must be returned to the retailer in the same condition for resale. Customers will not accept opened boxes as new and as such retailers make big losses when goods are returned under DSD. Therefore they are stating that once the box has been opened the regulation does not apply. This stance is backed by trading standards.

Until there is some case law the issue will not be clear.

Paul

11. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    CrumpetMan
    I look forward to your views on this product.
    I may check out one of the larger comet branches to see if they have one on display. Not that the displays often prove much, usually showing animated DVDs that even look bad on the worst plasmas.
    Regarding the distance selling regulations I am surprised that trading standards support the 'open box' policy.
    I read an explanation once that it was to allow customers to examine a product to assess it's suitability. That said a lot of the cheapest internet suppliers have a stated 20% restocking policy which IMO is in the very least not in keeping with the intention of the law.
    That said I have some sympathy with the internet suppliers that have to discount open boxes, but RICHER SOUNDS manage to have a no quibble return policy and stay in business, so it must be possible !

Steve.

12. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My understanding of the distance selling regulation was so that you could look at the goods as you can't really look at them properly from a picture on a website and in some cases you are not able to find a shop selling them either so you can't go there to check it out first. You have to open the box in order to look at the goods too.

The tv should be arriving today, I'll post my comments on it later.

13. spiider

spiider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crumpet keep us posted... £2500 for that screen is not bad... Give us your feedback on how it performs !

14. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It arrived this afternoon and at first I thought it was terrible because of a hissing noise which I thought was a cooling fan. But, it has speakers built in and they were causing the noise . They hissed no matter what volume they were set to. But after some fiddling in the advanced menus I managed to turn them off completely. Scart 1 was setup oddly so that my cable box outputting rgb looked green. That was soon fixed too.

The tuner has three scarts. All can be set to s-video or video and two to rgb as well. There's a couple of PC type connectors as well, one on the rear of the tuner and one at the front. Also an s-video at the front and various phono ones. No component.

On the screen there's two rgb PC connectors, a dvi and an r232 (i think it's called that, it's used for connecting to the tuner so the tuner can control the display - volume/menus etc).

There's a transformer buzz, but no more so than my old crt and not noticeable with anything above low volume. The picture is good IMO but then I'm only comparing it to what I've seen in shops (badly setup probably) and an Lg14 which I had for a few days. It's a lot better than the LG but I don't know how it would compare to a panny 5 or the hitachi.

For me, it was nice to be able to just take it out of the box and start using it straight away. I'm not into AV enough that I can really tell that much of a difference between various displays, I just wanted a big screen for as little as possible. Of course, I want the screen to be good enough to watch tv and dvds and it is.

If anyones got any particular questions then I'll try to answer but in a very non technical way :)

15. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    CrumpetMan
    Are speakers fixed ? oh dear, that makes it very wide.
    Next time you see an area of solid colour check how much it appears to move like water. This is not a major problem, but some newer plasmas appear to not display this problem as much as older ones.
    One other thing I noticed on a panasonic (possibly badly set up), was clearly visible bands of colour from top to bottom with some bright screens. Have you noticed anything ?
    How does sky look (whilst realising that sky generally does look pretty bad).
    If it looks a lot better than the LG and still only costs £2,500 then that sounds like a bargain to me, especially when you bought it from a major shop.
    On second thoughts don't do what I always do and look for problems just enjoy it whilst I wait for months for the new(?) panasonic plasmas.

Steve.

16. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No the speakers are actually internal, to look at it you'd think there were no speakers because you can't see them. The sound actually comes out of the rear of the display! the user manual recommends switching off the internal speakers so I don't even know why they're left on.

I'm going to make an effort to try and see a hitachi 3000 at the weekend to see if it is worth the extra 500-600 pounds. The brightness and contrast specs are both higher and it has got some good reviews. I like the idea of spending "only" £2.5k but I'm going to be keeping it for a long time so I may as well spend a little extra. I just didn't want to go over 3k.

17. spiider

spiider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    crumpet... £2500 is already a lot of tosh for a TV... I am also considering buying one (haven't decided yet on the brand)..

The only thing that put me off is that I hate watching a 4/3 picture on a 16/9 screen... and all the channels that I watch display only in 4/3...

So either black bars on the side or monster faces !

18. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the thomson has nasty grey bars on 4:3, I can't see how to change it but then I never watch in 4:3 anyway. There are various zoom modes but I tend to just leave it in 16:9 all the time.

19. CrumpetMan

CrumpetMan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, one more thing, the tuner box is pretty big and chunky looking. It must be about three times the height of my dvd player, approx 15 cm and it just seems huge!