1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Telly

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Jerrysimon, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

Well my 6 year old Panasonic 32" wide screen just blew it's tube :(

Buy Panasonic a good brand I thought. With a 5 year guarantee it cost me over £1100 6 years ago.

Anyway what to replace it with.

Things have moved on a lot in 6 years. For a £1100 I could get a good telly.

Thing is I don't want to pay that sort of money again :thumbsdow

Probably around £500.

Not sure if to drop down to a 28" with 100hz ? or by a 32" 50hz machine.

What ever I get will be much better I am sure.

I have a Tosh XS32 DVD/HD and my old Panny had dolby surround although now seems you but that seperately.

Any recommendations. May a Toshiba to match my DVD ?

Leaning towards getting it from JL :clap:

Regards

Jerry

2. billystevo

billystevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear your Panny has gone bust but if you think TVs are more reliable now than years ago , your wrong. All the major manufacturers have there TVs built in countries with low labour costs, resulting in a decline of build quality, bit like buying a British Leyland car in the 70ies. There is no reliable make in my opinion now, thats why we have so many horror stories on here.Best of luck in your search for a new TV. :smashin:

3. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    You absolutely sure it's the tube Jerry? :confused:

What were the fault symptoms?

What's the model number?

A. Dork

4. animaal

animaal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny enough, my 5 year old 32" widescreen Panny died recently too. I don't remember the model number, but the screen wasn't very flat, and it was 50Hz.

My symptoms: When you turn on the TV, the screen appears all green, can't even see the picture. Then it goes into standby mode after 7 secs or so. After many attempts, the TV will eventually stay on, and the picture goes normal.

A TV repair guy told me that model has a Philips tube, and that it is a known problem. It got worse and worse.

5. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Need to check the model number when I get home.

Basically what happened was the picture started to flicker lighter then back to normal.

Eventually after about three days, suddenly it went almost white with ghost images on it and then switched off.

From then on if you turn it on it starts really white again with ghosty image and after a few seconds, the picture goes whiter and whiter then collapses and switches off :eek:

The engineer is checking he thinks it's the tube but said he needs to speak to a panasonic engineer as it may be the transformer ? has blown or the tube is knackered. Minimum cost if it is a transformer is £120 + VAT or a tube not worth repairing. I am not a tv tecky so am in their hands :(

This is a 50z machine too I think and it has a big big curved tube :D

Regards

Jerry

6. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Still waiting to here if it is the tube. In the meantime I have been speaking to JL about the Toshiba 32" 32Z44B.

I actually got them to price match down to £420 from what they are selling it at £549. It required a bit of persuation but they agreed the price. Strange they don't say anything about the fact their 5 year warranty must be worth over £100 :clap:

Regards

Jerry

7. Hotshot147

Hotshot147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well done mate who are they price matching against please.

8. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Huges Electrical :smashin:

9. Jerrysimon

Jerrysimon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well just heard back from the engineer and my Panny is officially beyond economical repair :mad:

So I need advice.

1. I have been borrowing a 28" telly at the moment and wondering if I could cope with a smaller screen :eek:

2. The Toshiba 32" 32Z44B from JL at their price match looks like my best deal to date :)

3. The sound concerns me as it's only 10w/channel and I am use to dolby surround. Should I just not worry about that and get an add on 5:1 cinema setup later ? I already have yamaha rears and a center ?

4. As I said I have a Tosh xs32 dvd/hdd recorde (again from JL) and it would be nice to match it all up for remotes etc.

Any advice on alternatives at around that price would be appreciated although I think this is probably the best deal I am going to get :thumbsup:

Regards

Jerry