Question New television after 7 years with a Panasonic Plasma...

zarusama

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I'm new to this forum and I joined this community to ask your opinion about my next investment. I've been using a Panasonic TX-P42G20 since 2011 and while being very attached to it, I'm ready to jump in the 4K era, especially for HDR contents.

Knowing that an LG OLED is way over my available budget, I tried looking for a good television model under the 600£ limit, and I have found this TCL 55DP648 55 on amazon uk, but I can't find any review on the internet, probably because the british model number is different from the american one. Can you tell me if this is a good television or if you would suggest me something different at the same price? In my case, the television is mainly used to play console and pc games (through hdmi) and watch netflix/bluray.

Thanks a bunch :)

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
TCL haven't previously sold from UK retailers so it's interesting that Amazon is saying they're going to launch it later this month.

It's likely the replacement for last year's European model P6046 which I believe did get a couple of (non-english) reviews.

There's not a lot of HDR hardware ability in that budget yet, I wouldn't be in any hurry to upgrade from a decent quality TV. I'd give it another few years for the standards to get into place and the backlight production to go into full swing.

TCL haven't previously sold from UK retailers so it's interesting that Amazon is saying they're going to launch it later this month.

It's likely the replacement for last year's European model P6046 which I believe did get a couple of (non-english) reviews.

There's not a lot of HDR hardware ability in that budget yet, I wouldn't be in any hurry to upgrade from a decent quality TV. I'd give it another few years for the standards to get into place and the backlight production to go into full swing.
Thanks for the kind reply! So your suggestion it's just to wait for a better model? I thoughbt that model sold on Amazon was the new one (as stated in the name of the television, "
TCL 55DP648 55 Inch 4K Ultra Thin UHD HDR10 and 10bit panel TV with Smart Freeview Play - Silver (2018 Model)
), which in US seems very appreciated. I'd like to change my tv, but if that model isn't good enough (even compared to a 7 years old plasma television?), what should I buy then in your opinion?

Last year's North American P-series and European P-series were completely different models so I'd just ignore any reviews from the US unless you have evidence that they're the same TVs for 2018. I don't see any mention of that DP648 model on the US website:
Home Theater | TCL

It is a new model, but HDR is still an expensive technology and TVs at this price tend to have little to no extension in dynamic range even if they have the ability to receive HDR content. For example the P6046 has no wide colour gamut, no local dimming system, not even a higher brightness. It's HDR support is just an improved dynamic contrast system. And maybe not even improved, TVs without the increased contrast tend to dim the whole scene to try and maintain some dynamic range.

It looks like they have added a (slightly?) wider colour gamut to the DP648, but I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

I just don't see any point in buying into the first budget implementations of a new technology when you don't have to. The low end of new technologies almost always improve rapidly over the first five years or so.

Last year's North American P-series and European P-series were completely different models so I'd just ignore any reviews from the US unless you have evidence that they're the same TVs for 2018. I don't see any mention of that DP648 model on the US website:
Home Theater | TCL

It is a new model, but HDR is still an expensive technology and TVs at this price tend to have little to no extension in dynamic range even if they have the ability to receive HDR content. For example the P6046 has no wide colour gamut, no local dimming system, not even a higher brightness. It's HDR support is just an improved dynamic contrast system. And maybe not even improved, TVs without the increased contrast tend to dim the whole scene to try and maintain some dynamic range.

It looks like they have added a (slightly?) wider colour gamut to the DP648, but I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

I just don't see any point in buying into the first budget implementations of a new technology when you don't have to. The low end of new technologies almost always improve rapidly over the first five years or so.

I see, thanks! You've been very convincing. What are the options for an entry level television with good HDR/dolby vision support?

I see, thanks! You've been very convincing. What are the options for an entry level television with good HDR/dolby vision support?

Doesn’t exist at your budget. LG OLEDs and Sony XF are the starters for HDR/DV. Kick off @ c£1500

Doesn’t exist at your budget. LG OLEDs and Sony XF are the starters for HDR/DV. Kick off @ c£1500
I guess the only thing I can do is buying that model on amazon for now, I guess. At least it would be better than my old panasonic (hopefully) :/
Thanks!

I guess the only thing I can do is buying that model on amazon for now, I guess. At least it would be better than my old panasonic (hopefully) :/
Thanks!

Only better if fed quality sources, inc 4K discs - I’d seriously consider holding off and add to your budget with a view to buying either near Black Friday or in a year from now. 2018 sets will be reduced....

Only better if fed quality sources, inc 4K discs - I’d seriously consider holding off and add to your budget with a view to buying either near Black Friday or in a year from now. 2018 sets will be reduced....
Sadly I need to change my television by the end of the month. I'm sure I'll be able to upgrade to a proper OLED next year I guess. I'll use the television mainly for gaming in 4K HDR and 1080p :)

Hi Zarusama,

I, like you, was looking for a new T.V. to get me into 4k gaming on a budget. I went with the same T.V. you mentioned - DP648 and wanted to ask if you went ahead with buying it? If so, can I ask what your current settings are for console gaming? I am very happy with the T.V. but find myself constantly changing settings to see if I can get that little bit extra 'wow' from it.

Yep TCL models are very different here from in the USA, heard that even before they entered the UK market.

There are probably better TVs to be had under £600 and certainly ones that present less of a risk than the TCL.

Especially if you go for a clearance model from the 2017 ranges like the Samsung 55MU7000.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom