New technology for LCD's!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Ramspeed, Mar 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Looks like all the big companies are throwing all their efforts into solving the one remaining problem with LCD's. Motion smear/blur with horizontal movement. Philips ClearLCD (i.e. a scanning backlight) is one well documented solution. But a lot of other people are going with frame doublers. Samsung just anounced their Smooth Motion driver and German company Micronas (www.micronas.com) have just announced TruD which does the same thing. Inserts frames. So 60hz gets doubled to 120hz (50hz to 100hz PAL). Good bye blur apparently.

2006 will be the year that LCD takes over.

2. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Would not recommend ClearLCD. The new ClearLCD sets already have a known design fault. Plus another bug which has yet to be idenitified as either a software bug or another hardware design flaw.

3. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Doubling the frame rate will not address the poor black level detail which most LCDs still suffer from (or blacks which turn grey when moving out of the sweet spot) + poor contrast ratio) - most notably on large LCD TVs (i.e. 37-42"). Plasma still way oustrips LCD in this department.

At least the Samsung & Micronas solutions are simpler will not introduce the risk of flicker as with ClearLCDs scanning backlight.

4. Teppic

Teppic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

No.

No no no no no! :thumbsdow

That sounds like an awful idea for solving what little motion blur there actually is on LCD's these days. Having seen how badly the same idea worked on CRT's, i couldn't think of a worse idea - especially since one of the side effects is that it can cause blurring in the first place! I mean if it can cause a CRT to blur then what hope does an LCD have? :suicide:

To my mind that's just a bad idea from the start.

5. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    To defend LCD's - plasma's burn in and cause permanent damage.

Ask plasma's owner's. (turn down brightness, don't watch channels with logos', don't play games for more than 1/2 hr etc...)

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I'm very skeptical about these people. Their claim of good deinterlacing sounds worth a look, but they seem to be throwing a bunch of other (probably) useless features in our face like "Sharpness Enhancement". Their cheesy video with the women smiling is interesting too, their "Sharpness Enhancement" example seems to be adjusting the contrast as well.

All of these blatant tactics are fair and well for trying to sell TVs to the average Joe/Jane but won't a company that makes a chip like this be aiming at electronics manufacturers?

"Real Motion": I'm not sure what this is. Is it some sort of solution to remove judder from 60hz movies? Or is it one of those weird looking things that creates new frames to try and artificially up the frame rate? Their description seems a bit muddled... first of all it talks about the 60hz judder (a non issue for sped-up PAL movies) but then it goes on to talk about motion vectors. Which is it?

"Sharpness Enhancement": OK, just let me turn it off :smashin:

"Contrast Enhancement": likewise

7. Whappers

Whappers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can you expand more please?