New Technology against Old?

jagr

Hi,

A friend of mine has been offered an ex-demo Nakamichi AV10 for
around £250, the dealer says the stereo performance is well regarded.
He is very tempted by this. Yet the Nakamichi doesn't even have component switching!!
I have told him to buy a newer model amp like a Denon or Yamaha.
He is interested in Music (60%) and movies (40%).

Any opinion's or recommendations?

Thanks

ChrisNic

Havent any experience of the Nakamichi but I would imagine that it would give any budget reciever a real fun for their money even if it is a few years old. It doesnt have all the bells and whistles of modern recievers but it was an expensive unit new and would certainly be worth listening to.

[email protected]

I would think for music (stereo) the AV-10 would give most budget receivers more than a run for their money ... streets ahead I suspect. However, I also suspect that the newer models would be superior in surround.
If memory serves I believe there were also build issues with some of the Nakamichi's (not sure which).
If video switching is the only issue, then decent switch boxes are available on the market.

jagr

If video switching is the only issue, then decent switch boxes are available on the market.

He is not concerned about component switching, I was just pointing out that my previous Yamaha 620 had component in and out.
His budget is around £400 for a surround Amp/Receiver.
He has JM Lab Chorus 707 front speakers with the matching centre CC700 (if memory serves me right). For surrounds/sub he has the Boston Micro 90 Sub package.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
i'd tell him to listen to it and see what he thinks.......dont buy something just cuz its cheap....lol

tbh it might be worth him looking at a Cambridge Azur stereo amp....then eventually get a home cinema amp for around £300 later on.....if music is important i'd go this way....

K

KingKong24

The Nakamichi AV-10 was an expensive amp in its day - £800 - £1000 in the UK, $2,000 in the USA. It has a seperate DAC for EACH of the 5 channels, and has a reputation for making average speakers sound much better than they should. Check out epinions.com for some American - most of them seem to really like it. I certainly do.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom