Quantcast

New TCL TV - problem with auto brightness! Cant turn off!

engelien

Novice Member
Hi!
I have a problem with my new TCL ep685 - Whenever a scene goes dark, the screen dims darker. Its like some sort of auto brightness is always turned on.
I can even see it when Im in the main menu and opens a grey/ dark menu - the screen will dim darker.

Every "auto" settings is off, and I have tried every preset available. (movie, sport, HDR, Dynamic etc)
Is there a way to turn this OFF?

I would really appreciate your help!

arcanux

Same problem here TCL55EP660

Have a friend that have the same model as mine (TCL42EP660) and the "problem" is exactly the same.

In HDR content the "problem" is less visible but in "normal" content, sometimes the TV acts like a Christmas tree with the constant flicker of the backlight/contrast! In movies or show credits the panel goes completely berserk...

In HDR, if the panel goes too long with darker image, the panel remains in it´s dim preset and never recovers... only a TV reboot normalize the dimness...

In the Smart HDR image preset, it´s less visible like it was constantly in HDR mode but then, the problem i described above kicks in on prolonged darker image situations...

As Engelien already said, all possible options were tested and it seems impossible to switch off that behavior. I think it may be related to the Micro Dimming engine.

Already sent a couple of emails to TCL Europe support... all of them were completely ignored! Never got a response...

If someone can shed some light on the matter, would be much appreciated as TCL Europe themselves can´t be bothered...

[email protected]

Don't have your set but remember a little while ago someone posting a thread about something similar.

Quick search in this forum comes up with this

engelien

Novice Member
Same problem here TCL55EP660

Have a friend that have the same model as mine (TCL42EP660) and the "problem" is exactly the same.

In HDR content the "problem" is less visible but in "normal" content, sometimes the TV acts like a Christmas tree with the constant flicker of the backlight/contrast! In movies or show credits the panel goes completely berserk...

In HDR, if the panel goes too long with darker image, the panel remains in it´s dim preset and never recovers... only a TV reboot normalize the dimness...

In the Smart HDR image preset, it´s less visible like it was constantly in HDR mode but then, the problem i described above kicks in on prolonged darker image situations...

As Engelien already said, all possible options were tested and it seems impossible to switch off that behavior. I think it may be related to the Micro Dimming engine.

Already sent a couple of emails to TCL Europe support... all of them were completely ignored! Never got a response...

If someone can shed some light on the matter, would be much appreciated as TCL Europe themselves can´t be bothered...
Same here, I have sent several mails to TCL EU and US, and gotten no answer.
If someone here finds a solution in the future, please send me a message!

arcanux

Same here, I have sent several mails to TCL EU and US, and gotten no answer.
If someone here finds a solution in the future, please send me a message!
I´ve updated the Software to the newer one (RT51_Android P_V252.zip) and i can see some improvements...
Still on the matter of the update, forget the option to check updates from the network(directly from the TV)... it always says you have the most recent one :)

On the site i´ve downloaded the most recent one and been testing it...

TCL55EP660 - http://www.mediacenter.tcl.eu/uploads/common/RT51_Android P_V252.zip

Noticed 2 things right away:

1 - The TV boots a bit faster.
2 - If you switch off the TV while on Android TV Menu or App, when you turn it on again, it defaults to the Android TV Menu. Nice addition on my book... On previous Software (V179) always defaulted to the last Input.

On the subject of the Micro Dimming problem(assuming that is the issue), the "problem" persists but it´s less jarring as the transitions are less abrupt... On HDR content, the problem is not present anymore or i didnt notice it yet...

I think it´s apparent by now that it´s probably not a bug but simply the way the software manages the dimming... I wish TCL Europe could find a way to add the choice to disable it completely even if that resulted on loss of brightness/contrast control.

Hope that helps...

engelien

Novice Member
I tried the new software update - no difference on the auto dimming problem. TCL TV still dims brightness darker when a dark scene appears. Or a dark window in the app menu appears. I have tried the new update with every preset ( smart hdr, sport, movie standard..)

arcanux

I tried the new software update - no difference on the auto dimming problem. TCL TV still dims brightness darker when a dark scene appears. Or a dark window in the app menu appears. I have tried the new update with every preset ( smart hdr, sport, movie standard..)
Yeap, it´s almost certain that it´s not a Bug but simply the way the Micro Dimming engine handles things... TCL Europe sucks big time compared to the US division. Such a shame...

Nhtmd2

Seems like its a TCL issue.
I have a 55P8M and it presents exactly the same issue as yours.
Crazy/Random Micro Dimming in dark scenes through HDMI and USB.
Latest update applied.
Send some mails to TCL, but no answer

carpif

I bought the 55P8M model here (Arg.) and had exactly the same issue, actually I had to replace the first device that I bought since the flickering was terrific and very noticeable. In the second unit that the retailer gave to me the issue is much less evident but anyway visible and in some way make me worry if could be worst in the future.
As all of you mentioned, I've tried with many different combination of parameters and always the same result, in very dark scenes with some white content the brightness goes crazy.
The retailer gave the chance to try it this new unit and in case I'm not satisfied I could change for other brand (more expensive obviously), I always have Samsung TVs and this is my first TCL, I'm really happy with the Android TV integration ... soooo ... I don't know what to do.

Slovakian

Novice Member
I have same problem with dimming on 55ec780. I can not switch off this dimming. I try software update but not help. TCL support please make new update.

Jeanremix

Novice Member
Hi to all,

Exactly the same problem here on a new TCL 50ep680.
Brightness drops with dark scenes, and increase a lot for biegtg
Every dynamic option is removed, and I can see it in all modes.

Hope to find a solution soon!

I got a 55" DP660 two years ago and can confirm watching movies is like an annoying kid who just became tall enough to reach the dimmer (unless I turn lights on which ruins the experience).

Service is terrible, I've had more luck RMA-ing chinese produced novelty items bought through ebay resellers.

What it comes down to when updating is this:
  • Find the product page of your model by googling (TCL search is useless).
  • Go to the downloads section.
  • Press the software button to get a (very large) zip with an instruction pdf and a bin file.
  • Follow instructions to install on your specific model using a USB stick.
  • Weep because it only partially fixed the issue.
From firmware V5.0.0 to V5.5.1 the fading time is more consistent, fades down slower, and up faster.

Some auto dimming is still present even with all options turned off, but now I can actually watch a movie without turning the lights on to force the brightness from cycling anymore.

Spagett

Hello gentlemen, I registered just to give you the good news.

Like you (and probably every person who bought a TCL TV) I had the auto brightness problem and I spent many hours trying to find the solution. And there it is:

You need to access the hidden menu by entering the Settings menu > Picture > Advanced Settings > highlight Contrast > enter the code 1950.
Once there you need to go to Param setting > DBC (Dynamic Backlight Control) > turn off the Energy saving.

And... there you go.

I have a 43P8B model bought in Japan but I'm pretty sure it's the same with the western ones.

The fact that they hid something this important somewhere basically no one will ever search is beyond me, though.

Anyway, hope it'll work for you as well!

Jeanremix

Novice Member
Hey, thanks a lot for your help. However, I tried that already... the eco setting is off... and it is still doing the same.
That is ridiculous.
I can't figure out why they implemented this feature.

Spagett

I'm sorry to hear that, I was certain it'll be the solution.

Maybe it depends on the model or on the combination of settings used... but it'll be weird since I probably have the same as most of the people here (all "dynamic" settings turned off) and I didn't change anything else from the hidden menu.

8ighTK

Novice Member
I agree with Spagett, but instead of turning off Energy Saving (in my case on P648), you need to turn OFF 'DBC Enable'. This definitely resolves the issue! No more auto dimming for me!

Found myself onto this thread having done further research into my issue and exploring secret / hidden menus!

8ighTK

Novice Member
@Jeanremix

Not sure if it works on your model, but on my 65DP648:

Go to your Settings menu
Under Picture, go to Advanced settings
With Contrast highlighted, press 1 9 5 0 on your remote
This will bring up the hidden menu in top left of your screen
Using your remote, press down until Param Setting is highlighted, then press OK
Navigate to DBC > press OK > DBC Enable = off

Hope that helps!

engelien

Novice Member
I got the ep685 model- tried the secret DBC settings and it was OFF by default on my TV. Tried turning it ON and OFF again, but I still got crazy dimming. Keep posting guys, I will try everything!

valianliu

I´ve updated the Software to the newer one (RT51_Android P_V252.zip) and i can see some improvements...
Still on the matter of the update, forget the option to check updates from the network(directly from the TV)... it always says you have the most recent one :)

On the site i´ve downloaded the most recent one and been testing it...

TCL55EP660 - http://www.mediacenter.tcl.eu/uploads/common/RT51_Android P_V252.zip

Noticed 2 things right away:

1 - The TV boots a bit faster.
2 - If you switch off the TV while on Android TV Menu or App, when you turn it on again, it defaults to the Android TV Menu. Nice addition on my book... On previous Software (V179) always defaulted to the last Input.

On the subject of the Micro Dimming problem(assuming that is the issue), the "problem" persists but it´s less jarring as the transitions are less abrupt... On HDR content, the problem is not present anymore or i didnt notice it yet...

I think it´s apparent by now that it´s probably not a bug but simply the way the software manages the dimming... I wish TCL Europe could find a way to add the choice to disable it completely even if that resulted on loss of brightness/contrast control.

Hope that helps...
Hi there, thx for your sharing. I would like to know where to find the latest firmware? I saw the mediacenter.tcl.eu need an account. Do you have any access to it? I would like to find firmware for other models. Really appreciate if you could help.