1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Tag Videoscaler (Sil504 based)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by phil_evans, Oct 4, 2002.

1. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This looks impressive...

VP2048R

I'm new to these devices (iScan Pro etc) but is a SCART input a first on these things?

So I'm wondering, why bother waiting for a PAL progressive DVD player, when this will convert all sources to progressive and to the native rate of the panel?

I'm guessing the answer will be the price!:(

2. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Looks good. So I can take the output from an SDI modified DVD player, feed it into this and it will send the output to my projector at native rate through it's DVI input. Cool.

Allan

3. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I'm not mistaken you can already do this today via HCPC at probably a quarter of the cost. I'm not knocking TAG I'm a big TAG fan but it will not come cheap!!

Steve

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Yes you can do it with an HTPC...The HD leeza will have sdi in and DVI out. The new Faroudja -DVI has DVI in and out. The new RockPro will have all manner of digital ins and outs too I believe.

Gordon

5. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Steve,

Interesting comments about the cost. What is the cost of this board ? I thought it was going to be around £1k. Not sure you could build a HTPC to do this for £250. And the HTPC just does the video side of things, you would still need a surround decoder. This just seems a neat, one box solution, probably of very high quality.

Gordon, how much are those boxes you mentioned ?

Allan

6. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the RRP of the add-in prog-scan board is £1095 (going by Tag's website). Its already available for Tag's DVD players and AV amps. Add that to the cost of the video-scaler (VP2048R) without the PS board and I'd think we're talking in excess of £2500!

7. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Phil,

Ah, the £1k figure I had in my head must have come from something I'd read regarding the prog-scan board. If the cost of the scaler is going to tip things so high then it does seem a bit on the pricey side. Would still be interesting though to compare to the price of the HDLeeza and Rock thingy that Gordan mentioned.

Maybe I'll just rely on the Faroudja de-interlacer and scaling built into my projector for now.

Allan

8. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly well out of my price bracket - even the iScan Pro seems expensive to me!

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    You can build an HTPC for under £1500 or probably buy one nicely configured for a grand more. The HD Leeza is $3995 (with free sdi dvd player) in USA. Faroudja the same or more I think. Rock Pro doesn't have a price yet. Current one with SDI in is around £4500-5000 off the top of my head.

As has been mentioned. The TAG scaler needs either a progressive input to work or their own de-interlacing solution at an additional £1095. They say in their specs for the thing that it accepts 1080i in and scales that to match native resolution of your display. I find this weird as I'd have thought they'd have to de-interlace it first then scale. Perhaps they are treating 1080i as two fields of 540P and scaling each field that way... I'm not sure how that'd look.

I have no doubt it should look pretty good within their system. Those guys aren't daft and they have an Interpolator from Snell and Wilcox to use for target practice.

Gordon

10. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HCPC cost me about £1K with a DIGN case, in that there's also a M-Audio 24/96 Audiophile card @ about £150 which I can now lose after addind a H3D card with SDI in @ £500ish so for about £1.5K I've got a scaler with SDI, Component and SVideo in the option for DVI out? via my Radeon 7500 all with Faroudja processing via the FLi2200 chip on the H3D.

I do like TAG but you can be assured that if the PSM192 is £1k, the scaler will be a damn site more.

I think I will be more than satisfied with my stable HCPC with SDI in from my SDI'd Panasonic RA82 (no Chroma bug) and SVideo in for Sky, Tivo and Video (all switched via my AV32R)

Steve