New system

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dobbo, Apr 23, 2003.

1. dobbo

dobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Number of queries

1) Does size matter ? - I have the option of buying small surround speakers ie Keff KHT2005 / Klegg now or wait for my extension when I can get larger speakers (permission from wife)

2) Buying the hardware how should I split my money between dvd / receiver / speakers

3) Who is going to win the DVD Recorder format - ie I do not want to get stuck with a betamax or will it matter?

4)What would be a decent starter system for about £1400.

5)Does anyone know much about the new Toshiba DVD Recorder that is coming out - and will this one record in 5.1?

Help !!

2. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dobbo, I reckon size (for speakers) matters, however a good Sub with smaller mains/surrounds works. Centre speaker is focal point for speach so it is always important to get a good centre speaker.

Personally the split of cost for equipment comes down to which bits will you replace more often.

So in ascending order (ie last will be changed most)

Speaker cable
    Speakers
    Amp
    DVD

I would invest in some good speaker cable and speakers. Amp needs some good investment but new technologies (like DPLII) apear every few years. Finally DVD has lots of new features regularly so will need upgrading more often, (DVD-Audio, SACD, DVD+/-R).

Whos going to win the DVD recording war (I think the whole thing is dull). I reckon multistandard machines will win. Like some of the Sony PC drives. No clear technical advantage for either.

Good starter kit, thats tricky. I would get seperates (amp DVD etc). Look in Home Cinema Choice for their speaker packages under £1000, Recivers and DVD machines. I reckon you can get a good setup for £1400.

Only DVD recorder I know of is the Kiss one which has 5.1 optical input. I think thats in HCC this month as well.

Rog

3. dobbo

dobbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I reckon will have to wait for the surround system for a while

To be honest I will not want to replace any of the equipment as I do not think there should be too much need - I will not be keeping up with new features for DVD or amplifier

I think some of the features will not really be beneficial in long run

I have also thought about the Denon AVF 100s but was wondering about the speakers as it is not the run of the mill technology.

Incidently what have you got?

I used to have Boston Acoustics speakers which gave a decent enough product for the size of room I had (I had a Toshiba DVD and TV)

I am now getting to replace everything and I am allowing for a TV at about £800

I am interested in the digital recorder - even looking at the PACE system - because I think something will replace videos - it is just a matter of time