1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New System

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stone Free, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Can someone tell me if you still apply the rule of thirds as with music to a buying home cinema system ? I.E 30% on Amp, 30% on Speakers, 30% on DVD player and 10% on interconnects.

I want to spend £1000 on the system, I already have a DVD player picked out so will only want advise on what to get for the last 70% (£700 if the rule of thirds still applies).

The main use of the system will be movies, but music ability is still very important to me.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    A display might be nice. ;)

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    You'll get a lot of different opinions about this, but I would suggest: 15% processor, 15% power amp, 30% front speakers, 8% surround speakers, 12% subwoofer, 12% DVD and 8% cabling. :)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    £120 for the subwoofer won't buy much, if anything, unless secondhand.

5. geoffzaid

geoffzaid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't really help with your %age dilemma, but I'm in the same position as you.
    Having spent 30 years getting to what I believe is as good as it gets sound wise (Naim/Linn system). I'm now confronted with the video (AV reciever/DVD scenario)
    Q. Do I sell everything and start again trying to encompass the visual side as well or do I get ready for the wrath of my partner and add a totally seperate system for visual. This inevitably means more boxes/cables and money. Hopefully not another 30 years to achieve what I need

Note: This is the first time I've used this site so I apologise if this is the incorrect connection medium.
    Hope you get the answer your looking for.

6. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Ian J - Does that mean that (a) You think that 12% is not enough for the subwoofer, or that (b) You would advise upping the system cost ?, or (c) both

£1000 was a bit of a stab in the dark, choosen because I have spent £1000 on the TV.

geoffzaid - Are you totally happy with your Hi-Fi setup ? Usually you would have to spend quite a bit more on AV kit to get good H-Fi ability equivalent to what you have already (This seems to be the general consensus from what I have read)