New system

rickydowning

Novice Member
My dad is after a new system that’s “good for everything” (used and surround sound as well as listening to music off Spotify and cds)
I currently have the full sonos surround sound system. He likes the sound from this, however I’m thinking more a long the lines of the setup in th link below. My question is, will this sound better than the Sonos? I like the idea with the amp that anything can be connected to it, including Alexa.

Jester1066

My dad is after a new system that’s “good for everything” (used and surround sound as well as listening to music off Spotify and cds)
I currently have the full sonos surround sound system. He likes the sound from this, however I’m thinking more a long the lines of the setup in th link below. My question is, will this sound better than the Sonos? I like the idea with the amp that anything can be connected to it, including Alexa.
Hi

The system you linked to above will sound absolutely fantastic for movies. I have a very similar specced Home Theatre setup. Will it sound better than a Sonos? As long as you can position the speakers correctly etc it will.

Is it possible for you to post a picture/ floor plan of your dad's room, showing where you intend to position the speakers?

There are a few things I'd ask the dealer to change/remove in the kit you linked to. The 1st being the subwoofer. I'd ask for the speakers & AVR without the sub. You can get much better performing subs for less or similar money from dedicated subwoofer manufacturer like SVS, Rel, & BK Electric etc. I'd also upgrade the C150 Centre speaker to the better C350.

If you have any local audio shops such as Richersounds, Sevenoaks, AudioT etc, I'd ask if you can demo this setup before purchase.

Finally. While good for movies, most Denon AVR's are considered poor when playing music (compared to a dedicated integrated stereo amp). If your father wanted to improve stereo performance, he could add an integrated Stereo Amp with HT Bypass to the Denon quite easily. In fact it's what I've done myself.

To begin with though I'd start with the standard 5.1 setup, assuming you can place the speakers correctly.

Hope this helps.

gibbsy

Agree with the sentiments above, the Denons are not great at stereo music. I have an X6500 but don't use it at all for stereo music. Brilliant with film and TV and really good with multi channel music such as SACDs or video concerts. As in the above I also use an integrated stereo amp with HT by-pass for music.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom