Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I am wanting a new hi-fi system
Total budget around £8500

Been out of the game for a while but my previous setup was a Meridian 506CD
arcam 9 pre & Power. Bi-wired to Castle speakers

Will be located in a large open plan area on wooden flooring

Currently considering a Roksan Caspian M2 with Roksan pre & power amps and floorstanders which I have no idea about really

What other alternatives should I consider
I have all CD's so no need for a turntable

Looking forward to hearing your ideas

Andy

The Roksan Caspian M2 electronics have plenty of drive. I've heard many electronics at this price point and have been surprised at how capable they are and more so when you add a pair of speakers which are a challenge to drive

I would say that the Caspian has no difficulties against its Arcam rivals even though I'm a fan of them

As an alternative, have peep at some of the more unusual brands like Anthem and Lyngdorf which are redesigning stereo in the home by using tech to bring another level of audio to your room and speakers dynamics

Many people who hear them are astonished at what they bring to the table

I would start here every time.

Before I considered spending anything I’d learn a little about these.

The room is the biggest pain in the arse in any hifi so it’s best to deal with that first and forever.

TDAI-2170 | Lyngdorf Audio

I'll take a different approach, first ask yourself what you want the Amp to do - yes - drive speakers but what ELSE to you want it to do?

What are the range of Input Sources? TV? CD? Turntable? Network Player? Other?

For a near infinite variety of music, Network Streaming is a real plus. These devices generally run in the area of £250 up to about £1500 depending on how far you want to take it. Though in the Premium Class I have seen Network Players as high as US$18,000.

You could potentially ask the same question of the Speakers, what is it you want them to do? Killer Bass? Silky sweet Mid/High? Demolition volume levels? And similar? What you want them to do will determine what speakers you buy.

As a starting point for budgeting, this is how I typically break down a Stereo System.

1x to 1.5x = Turntable
1x = Network Player
1x = CD Player
1x = Amp/Receiver
2x = Speakers

Again this simply establishes perspective in the beginning. When it comes time to shop and/or purchase you can deviate as you see fit.

If we assume the budget you stated is simply for Amp and Speakers, that totals 3x, or -

£2833 = Amp/Receiver
£5667 = Speaker Pair

So now we have a general proportion of allocated money.

I'm fond of saying -

You can't get what you want until you know what you want.

So think long and hard about what you want the system to do, what features you want it to have, and if there is any new equipment, like a Network Streamer, that you might want to add to the system.

Though going against, the Amps suggested and implied -

Rotel RA-1592 Integrated Amp w/DAC, 200w/ch - £2095 -

Rotel RA-1592 Integrated Amplifier

As to speakers, any preference for design or appearance?

KEF R11 Floorstanding Loudspeaker

DALI Rubicon 8 Floorstanding Loudspeakers

Totem Forest Signature Floorstanding Loudspeakers

DALI Epicon 6 Ruby Macassar Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) - Floorstanding Speakers - AudioVisual Online

Monitor Audio Platinum PL300 II Piano Ebony Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) - Floorstanding Speakers - AudioVisual Online

Monitor Audio Platinum PL300 II Piano Ebony Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) - Floorstanding Speakers - AudioVisual Online

Taking a slightly different approach -

Tannoy Legacy Series Cheviot Loudspeakers (Pair) - Floorstanding Speakers - AudioVisual Online

Tannoy Legacy Cheviot Speakers (Pair)

I would be perfectly happy with a pair of these -

Revel F208 Floorstanding Loudspeakers

The REVEL Performa3 F208 (2x8) are very highly rated speakers.

FOCA
L are impressively clear speakers.

Focal Electra II 1028 Be Speakers (Pair)

Well under your budget, but I won't say NO to a pair of the Klipsch Forte-III speakers either -

Klipsch Heritage Forte III Speakers (Pair)

Again going to the extremes to make a point - JBL S3900 (2x10") -

JBL S3900 Speakers (Pair)

With Speakers, as with Amps, you have to focus on your vision of the speakers, and what you expect to get from it.

You are in a price range, where no matter what you pick, it is going to be good. So the subtlety, the nuance, comes from you and your specific wants, needs, priorities, and preferences combined with the type of sound and type of music you listen to.

For myself, though it is easy to speculate, the ROTEL RA-1592 combined with the REVEL Performa2 F208 would be a formidable system. Alternately at a low price point, same amp but the Klipsch Forte-III. Take the money saved and add a higher end Network Player.

I think the Rotel and the REVAL F208 would take you to just under £8000. That leaves you £500 for wire and cable plus other accessories.

The Rotel and the Klipsch Forte-III would take in the vicinity of about £6000, and would leave you more than enough for accessories and a good Network Player.

Just a few random thoughts for perspective.

Steve/bluewizard

Hi.

I am wanting a new hi-fi system
Total budget around £8500

Been out of the game for a while but my previous setup was a Meridian 506CD
arcam 9 pre & Power. Bi-wired to Castle speakers

Will be located in a large open plan area on wooden flooring

Currently considering a Roksan Caspian M2 with Roksan pre & power amps and floorstanders which I have no idea about really

What other alternatives should I consider
I have all CD's so no need for a turntable

Looking forward to hearing your ideas

Andy

Do you still have the Meridian? Keep it if so, you’ll struggle to find anything significantly better - maybe a new DAC as an upgrade?

Do you have a dealer near you? With that sort of budget it’s worth a visit to one to try out a few different set ups.

I’m with @Paul7777x, the Lingdorf would be my starting point given the large space and wood floors (far from ideal).

So, assuming, based on your initial post you are after a cd, amp and speakers for £8500 I would add a cd transport to the lingdorf and use the dac in the amp keeping the signal digital until the last point in the chain.

This may be a bit off the wall but a Cambridge CXC (£300) will extract the 1’s and 0’s off the cds fine and plug into the lingdorf (£2800 plus £350 if you want an hdmi input for a tv). Leaving about £5k for speakers. Note, if you need a matching cd then the lingdorf is £2400 or there is a second hand one for sale at the moment for £1400.

It is generally agreed that speakers make the most difference to the sound of a hifi so this is where I would decide on 3 or 4 and try and do an audition. On my list would be PMC Twenty 26, ATC scm40, spender d7 and monitor audio pl200 or 300. Fanthorpes have some good ex demo deals on at the moment. Let your ears decide.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice so far.

To clarify a few points the Hi-fi is solely for CD's so no TV connection needed

My Meridian has an issue so wil need replacing so £8500 is for

CD Player
Power Amp
Pre-Amp
Floorstanding speakers (Looking at wood surround)
and Speaker Cable (bi Wiring from the 2 amps)

Will certainly take a look at Lyngdorf as I am not familiar with them at all

Music wise is varied from Guitar, Electronic, vocal
Taste is mainly the following artists

Lou Reed
Leaonard Cohen
Talking Heads
OMD
Richard Thompson
and so on

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel