1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new system

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by smudger, Feb 21, 2005.

1. smudger

smudger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a newbie to av forums, i have been reading various threads for a few weeks now. I am about to buy my first plasma, i am after a 42", but am undecided which one to get. I have about £2000 to spend have looked at sony KEP42M1S and lg RZ 42PX11 are these any good or are there better out there for this money, allready have a separate surround sound, phillips dvd recorder, x box, and freeview but considering upgrading to sky....please help as mind is in bits.. :lease:

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Welcome to the forum :clap: :clap:

Try taking a look at the sponsors ads - click on "our advertisers" at the top of the page. For £2,000 you will get a really good plasma but it probably won't be either of the ones that you have mentioned :D

3. smudger

smudger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have been looking through the threads and is the Panasonic TH-42PW7B a better plasma than the ones above

4. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Panny is a highly regarded plasma on these forums. Suggest you take a look at this thread - its long, but well worth a read.

For what its worth, I have been lurking here since last July. I've posted a hundred plus threads and read ten times that, demoed 5 different units, and my system is due for delivery tomorrow.

Read some stuff, but do go and demo! Its absolutely vital! There are a lot of differing opinions round here and, whilst they are immensely useful, they can also confuse you - if you see the options for yourself you will be able to make an educated decision rather than an educated guess!

Good luck...

PS. I bought a 42" Panny PW7, Denon DVD-2900, and Denon AVR-2805 in the end. Can't wait until tomorrow - it feels like Xmas Eve!

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Smudger,

I appreciate the problem - info overload and nowhere (with a very few exceptions) to see what can be done. If only you were in the West Midlands (or are you??) I could show you what no dealer was able to show me when I wanted to buy - hence why I am doing it now.

6. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anybody actually seen the Sony set up well though?

I'm having one delivered in a couple of weeks and THIS REVIEW seems good.

I'd be really interested in any comparisons with the PW6/7.

7. smudger

smudger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am based in the north east so dont know anywhere that will have the panny set up

8. smudger

smudger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just read that review noodle you will have to let me know what you think, where did you order yours from ?

9. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you end up going for the Sony, take a look at the black one as well. It's much nicer looking IMO.

I'm getting one "free" with a re-mortgage with Scarborough BS.

More details HERE

:thumbsup:

10. smudger

smudger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    very nice keep me updated when it comes, ive seen one set up in comet and it looked ok but not much to compare it with

11. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, I've seen them in John Lewis etc but none had a decent source connected to it. The review gives me confidence though.

When it arrives, I've got an Arcam DVD player and Sky+ at home with decent cables so I should be able to give you an idea of the possible results.

This will be my first plasma but I'm a pretty fussy bugger, so if I'm happy, there's a good chance you would be too.

12. Selectortone

Selectortone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panasonic PWD7 gets a pretty good review on that site too: 97/100 for picture quality.

I've had my PWD7 for 3 weeks now, clocked up 130-odd hours and I'm very pleased with my choice - the picture just seems to get better and better as it gets run in.

I spent a long time comparing panels in shops like Currys and Dixons - not the best way to see absolute picture quality but still an even playing field on the basis that they were all getting the same crappy composite feed.

To me the Panasonic panels (Vieras in the shops) just seemed to have more depth. What swung it was one Saturday when I was out shopping with my wife and daughter - not readers of this forum and totally unbiased. They both said exactly the same thing.

My PWD7 is fed via a JS-Technology RGB>VGA box for NTL cable and a component card for my Panasonic E55 DVD recorder. I could have saved the best part of £200 (RGB>VGA box and Van Damme VGA cable) by using the component output of the E55 for the cable box as well but I prefer the extra flexibility.

Including a desk stand and good quality component and VGA cables my total investment is a shade over £1800 (bought the whole lot from AV-Sales) and I'm well pleased with value for money - I spent nearly that much on a Philips 32" widescreen TV eight years ago.