New system suggestions please.

You’re quite welcome anytime sir.

I’d be interested to hear how you get on with the Yamaha when you get the chance 👍
Hi @Paul7777x

Yamaha arrived this morning.
Just got it hooked up and played some tracks from Tidal master hifi.
One track in particular I played via bluetooth and through the Yamaha, ( Donna Summer - I feel love ) all I can say is "How can that be" Absolutely blown away at how much this could raise the sq even further. Looking forward to more listening.
Thanks again for the invaluable advice.

You’re very welcome sir, as ever.

I’m delighted you’re very happy, it’s always a slight risk recommending hifi with personal taste being variable.

However that’s almost all speaker/room dependant.

Very good electronics are simply very good electronics.

I was quite astonished by the SQ of my WXC-50. As a preamp and streamer dac it’s quite mighty.

The same is true of the WXAD-10 (though I doubt its preamp is as good)

Quite impressive for a bargain price. And it’s multiple abilities make it more so.

Last edited:
PS, on the WXC there are several what Yamaha laughingly call enhancements. And an eco thing...

All of them were detrimental.

If there are any such additions to the WXAD, you’ll find them in the set up web page, and all, I found, were better switched off.

You’re very welcome sir, as ever.

I’m delighted you’re very happy, it’s always a slight risk recommending hifi with personal taste being variable.

However that’s almost all speaker/room dependant.

Very good electronics are simply very good electronics.

I was quite astonished by the SQ of my WXC-50. As a preamp and streamer dac it’s quite mighty.

The same is true of the WXAD-10 (though I doubt its preamp is as good)

Quite impressive for a bargain price. And it’s multiple abilities make it more so.
Apologies for ‘jumping on’ the thread, but what’s the difference between the WXAD-10 and the iFi Zen Blue?
I’ve got a 20 year old Rega system (CD, Amp and Speakers) and want to hook up a streaming device to the Amp so I can stream from my Spotify account.

The Zen is simply a Bluetooth device. Connect it to your Rega amp and you’ll be able to stream anything from your phone or tablet, albeit at Bluetooth standard.

The Yamaha is a streamer in and of itself.

It includes Bluetooth, airplay, Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz and others. It is also a DNLA device too.

An altogether better prospect in every respect.

The Zen is simply a Bluetooth device. Connect it to your Rega amp and you’ll be able 5o stream anything from your phone or tablet.

The Yamaha is a streamer. It includes Bluetooth, airplay, Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz and others. It is also a DNLA device too.

An altogether better prospect in every respect.
That’s great - many thanks Paul!

Ah, of course. So no need to consider the tv.

Therefore only the laptop and iPhone.

With the WXAD10 you would only need the phone to control what the Yamaha streams. That’s more useful than it seems as it doesn’t drain the phone battery, nor will message/email beeps and phone ringing interrupt the stream.

And you can use the phone as the streamer too should you wish.

And, if your laptop is UPnP compliant, you can stream directly from it to the Yamaha too.

It’s a splendid box of tricks for a bargain price. It’s certainly what I’d choose if I wanted to stream for sane money.

Anyone know how I stream from tidal on my laptop to Yamaha AD10?

On my ipad or iphone it's streaming over Airplay.

Not sure how to connect over wifi

Well @Paul7777x
Hope you had a good Christmas and New year.
Looking for some further advice.
I have added a Rega Planar 1 to my system, with the carbon cartridge I was "happy" but not satisfied,
I replaced the cartridge to an AT-VM95E, while this did improve the sound I am still not hugely impressed. I have done some asking around local ( in Ireland ) dealers and almost all of them are agreed on the Oberon 5's as a fantastic speaker.
The think is I find the system is certainly lacking in treble ( cymbals etc )
On streaming from the wxad 10 it is there, but could be better.
On CD it is debatable.
On Vinyl. I really don't know what to say, some albums are "ok" for want of a better word. Others are just dull sounding. Plenty of bass, mids, but literally zero treble.
One dealer in particular said personally he would not have chosen the Rotel A11 tribute for playing Vinyl.
I had considered replacing the oberon 5's with B&W 606 s2 Anniversary editions, but as said above, all agreed on the oberons being a better option.
So,
The question goes, "where do I go from here."?
I did a google search for "Best amp for oberon 5 "
The Marantz PM7000N came up quite a lot.
As did the Rega Elix-R ( which you did suggest ) but as far as I can see there are no adjustments on the rega for bass/treble? I do like to have this option as no 2 people hear the same thing.
The Marantz in slightly more expensive, but I wont do anything for some weeks. ( thats if I can sell my A11 and CD11 .)
Open to other suggestions within reason.
Thanks again

Are you saying the Dali speakers are treble shy? This should not be case. Even though they are fairly warm sounding speakers, they emphasize the treble much more then other speakers.

New to tread. Which amplifier do you own now? It could be the DAC. Do I doubt it.

Placement? Around 50-80 cm is something I’d recommend. Even if Dali only recommends 20 cm.

Break in. How many hours have they got?

I see you own the Rotel. Not listed to it my self. But Rotel should suit Dali.

Never listen to what the store tells you...

I know the Marantz well. Lot of air in the midrange, treble. Might be better suited for the Dali speakers. Bass is full, deep sounding.

I fact I had the exact same speakers as you do, with my Marantz amplifier. Never thought the treble was shy, far from it.

It just shows sound is subjective.

The B&W speakers might suit you better. In my ears B&W has more treble then Dali.

Still you’ll lose the wide sound Dali is famous for. The Dali speakers are warmer in bass also.

You could try the Denon DRA 800H. Yamaha AS701, if you can find one.

Your Rotel amp has tone controls, surely the treble adjustment can give the increased high frequency adjustments you require?
All amps measure the same regarding frequency response nowadays (flat) so I don't believe an amp change will make much difference in that respect though there can be subtle changes in sound presentation.

As did the Rega Elix-R ( which you did suggest ) but as far as I can see there are no adjustments on the rega for bass/treble?
No Rega has tone controls. New Elicit-R around the corner so it seems but likely to be more expensive that the outgoing model.

@Helix Hifi
Yes, The Dali's are very much treble shy, in fact I had an old system hooked up to a pair of old Bose 4000XL speakers, we all know how Bose is for Bass and not much else. Well, TBH the Dali's are not much brighter. Don't get me wrong, they sound much better, but still lacking treble.
I wondered was it my hearing that is causing it as I am 63, with high pitched tinitus 24/7.
BUT, I have a Seat Ateca FR with the Beats audio sound upgrade and I can clearly hear more than enough treble in that.

I did fire Dali and email and explained the situation. The reply said they could need up to 150 hours to come alive. I certainly have this many hours playing time done.
They also suggested that maybe it is a furniture thing,
Actually, this was one reply I got from them.

This does sound like a room with a lot of furniture that will act as absorption for sound waves. If you keep finding the sound lacking of treble (I bet you also find the sound a bit dull or dead, which is also a typical symptom of a room with a large amount of absorption) I suggest you contact your dealer for advice on what you options might be.

I am at a loss. as I live at least 100km from the closest store to go for an audition, so it is not a case of hop in the car and go for a listen.

@RugbyAl
Thanks for the reply. I have tried every control I can on the amp. Currently treble on 6 and bass on 3.
this is where it seems best.

No Rega has tone controls. New Elicit-R around the corner so it seems but likely to be more expensive that the outgoing model.
New Elicit will be £2000.00 (was £1679.00) but now with 2xDigital Inputs and a Headphone socket.
Elex-R is now £1045.00 (was £949.00).
Brio is now £700.00 (was £599.00)
Apollo CDP is now £700 (was £629.00)
New Saturn will be £2000.00 can't find any info on it) the current Saturn-R Dac CDP is £1679.00.

Last edited:
As a side note,
If,, IF I decided enough was enough and stick with the current setup as really the Vinyl side o=is the biggest let down.
If I added a phono preamp. to brighten up the sound.
Something like the Music Fidelity V90-LPS ?
I have been told this would "should" improve the highs.

Well @Paul7777x
Hope you had a good Christmas and New year.
Looking for some further advice.
I have added a Rega Planar 1 to my system, with the carbon cartridge I was "happy" but not satisfied,
I replaced the cartridge to an AT-VM95E, while this did improve the sound I am still not hugely impressed. I have done some asking around local ( in Ireland ) dealers and almost all of them are agreed on the Oberon 5's as a fantastic speaker.
The think is I find the system is certainly lacking in treble ( cymbals etc )
On streaming from the wxad 10 it is there, but could be better.
On CD it is debatable.
On Vinyl. I really don't know what to say, some albums are "ok" for want of a better word. Others are just dull sounding. Plenty of bass, mids, but literally zero treble.
One dealer in particular said personally he would not have chosen the Rotel A11 tribute for playing Vinyl.
I had considered replacing the oberon 5's with B&W 606 s2 Anniversary editions, but as said above, all agreed on the oberons being a better option.
So,
The question goes, "where do I go from here."?
I did a google search for "Best amp for oberon 5 "
The Marantz PM7000N came up quite a lot.
As did the Rega Elix-R ( which you did suggest ) but as far as I can see there are no adjustments on the rega for bass/treble? I do like to have this option as no 2 people hear the same thing.
The Marantz in slightly more expensive, but I wont do anything for some weeks. ( thats if I can sell my A11 and CD11 .)
Open to other suggestions within reason.
Thanks again

I must say I find your problem an odd one. I’ve never heard of Dali speakers described as treble shy.

Nor have I ever heard of Rotel amplifiers being anything but very well balanced across the entire frequency range.

Have you a photo of your set up from your listening position?

There is definitely something up somewhere if you need the treble up to 6! And have to notch the bass up 3.

A photo would certainly help.

Ps, have you changed or added or moved any furniture since August when you were happy with the sound?

Or have you changed the position of the speakers?

There is definitely something up somewhere if you need the treble up to 6! And have to notch the bass up 3.

A photo would certainly help.

Ps, have you changed or added or moved any furniture since August when you were happy with the sound?

Or have you changed the position of the speakers?
Hi @Paul7777x
The only thing I moved is the Amp/CD player to a new unit.
Speakers are where I put them originally, ( I know probably not the best place ) each side of the couch. Both around 20cm from the wall. I did move them around the room but found little to no difference.
I will post photos tomorrow.

There is something wrong in the room. I’ve owned the exact same speakers before, and even though they are great speakers, I find them tad harsh in the top end.

The speakers I have now, is much more softer in tweeter. There are times I miss the boldness, attack in top end off the Dali speakers, but if you can’t listen to bad recordings, good recordings over long session, then I figured I needed something else.

Don’t misunderstand me, they are great speakers. I got used to sound, owned for one year.

I really low them on Floyd, Rage Against The, Machine. Leonard Cohen sounds fantastic. Rock in general. Jazz, acoustic not so much.

So perhaps I’m to harsh on how they sound. But Dali are great speakers. If in the future, you can upgrade to the Dali Opticon 6MK2, and don’t believe you we’ll be disappointed.

20 cm. Try place them around 80 cm, if you can. My bet is the sofa takes the edge of the sound. Therefore they lack energy. Also in fact gives more muddy sound, which you believe is more bass.

Just my 2 cents.

It may possibly be worth trying a factory reset on the amplifier.

And having a listen with the tone controls set back again to neutral.

0885F713-CF8D-4DA7-AB5E-1665F2E69664.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom