New system suggestions around Riga Planar 3

curd

Standard Member
Hi all, first post! :)

After recent move and new rooms geography, I'm setting up a new vinyl-only system.
I got my hands on a used Rega Planar 3, so I'm very excited about that!

After reading the Rega io review here, and seeing that price, I figured that would be a no brainer. I also intend to use this to record my vinyl, so I figure I need something like the Rega Fono Mini A2D MM which has a USB out. However, this will mean that I then have two Rega phono prestages, which seems not really efficient...

Any suggestions around what I'm doing? Any way of doing this better and not pay for same features twice?
I don't know yet which speakers to pair, but I'm definitely considering the Kytes.

Kindest regards,
Wim

Costello

Welcome to the forum. Fellow Rega user here. On to what are you recording your vinyl? (I won’t bother asking why……😉).
The Planar 3 is a lovely turntable. If you could up your budget a little, you could get a used Brio. As good as the Io is, the Brio is a step up in terms of performance. Not only will your turntable thank you, but you also get a “record out” output on the rear.
Do you have a working budget?

Upvote 0

curd

Standard Member
Thanks Costello!

I was already considering the use Brio path as well :)
not a definitive budget, but definitely under 1K

I'd be recording on my MacBook Pro. Most of my music is electronic and somme only available on vinyl, and I'd like to have it with me digitally wherever go, and also for dj-ing ;-)

I have a decent Native Instruments sound interface, so if the Brio has the record out output, I don't need the pre-stage for that correct? :)

Upvote 0

Costello

The Brio has a built in phono stage (a very good one) so you wouldn’t need another phono pre-amp. The record-out outputs are 2 x RCA phono plugs so you’d just need the necessary cables.

Upvote 0

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Also a Rega owner... Welcome aboard.

What cartridge is on the one you have? If you're unsure about the condition of the stylus and fancy an upgrade, look closely at the AT VM95 range. The E is the "base" version really, and is insanely good for the money - and a straight swap on the Rega arms with no need to adjust the height - just alignment and tracking weight.
The joy of the AT carts is they all share the same body, but you can fit a much better stylus as funds allow - ML or SH will be amazing on the P3 with the Brio.

Upvote 0

curd

Standard Member
The Brio has a built in phono stage (a very good one) so you wouldn’t need another phono pre-amp. The record-out outputs are 2 x RCA phono plugs so you’d just need the necessary cables.
Excellent. I'll do that. I'll wait for a good 2nd hand deal on the Brio then. Cheers!

Upvote 0

curd

Standard Member
Also a Rega owner... Welcome aboard.

What cartridge is on the one you have? If you're unsure about the condition of the stylus and fancy an upgrade, look closely at the AT VM95 range. The E is the "base" version really, and is insanely good for the money - and a straight swap on the Rega arms with no need to adjust the height - just alignment and tracking weight.
The joy of the AT carts is they all share the same body, but you can fit a much better stylus as funds allow - ML or SH will be amazing on the P3 with the Brio.
[edit]
It's an AT30E

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind!

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom