1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new system setup.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SinisterRocket, Jan 6, 2004.

1. SinisterRocket

SinisterRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking of getting the following setup

harman/kardon DVD 506 limited Edition
    Link to 506 Details
    harman/kardon AVR 507 limited Edition
    Link to 507 details
    Infinity Oreus 7.1 system

Sanyo PLV-Z2

I know this covers many areas of the forum, but whats the thought on such a setup. The pirce for the above package is £2650 delivered.

Please provide your thoughts.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Superb if you can get your hands on it mate! Where is it £2650 delivered? Thats a cracking price but supplies of AVR507 are tight due to a couple of mishaps including a wharehouse fire apparently!

3. SinisterRocket

SinisterRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi hornydragon,

avsales is the place where i manged to agree this deal. I know you are a bit of an HK fan, can you tell me how the Infinity Oreus speaker range will sound with this amp, not had a chance to demo them.

4. tekmonkey

tekmonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a word from the wise, 'never ever ever' buy anything without listening to it first. Would you buy a car without trying it?

I'm not going to go into the whole going for demos at shops and then buying cheaper online farce!!

harman/kardon DVD 506 limited Edition
    harman/kardon AVR 507 limited Edition

From what I know there was a warehouse fire in the states and a large portion of said units were destroyed, and I believe the french snapped up part of what HK UK wanted! So unless they have got huge stock piles of them I would be very sceptical!

As for the Sanyo Z2, you can have a Infocus screenplay 4800 DLP for £1200!!!

Just a few thoughts,
    Regards,
    T.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    It was the Germans who prebought almost the whole European Allocation at the berlin trade Show!

infocus is OK but if you or a family member see rainbows then defo Z2

Oreus sound great with HK amps (thats kinda what they were designed for use with)

Subbing the infinity SUb for an MJ pro 50 or Ref 100 is worth considering, Possibly at a later date though!

6. SinisterRocket

SinisterRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finaly made the plunge. :D

Ended up going for a Z2, ISCAN and 6 foot electric screen(owl) for video.

For sound i went for a yamaha RX-V1400RDS Amp and 7 KHT5005 speakers. (I have a kef sub that will do for the moment.)

Ive blew my budget out the water but hey you got to love the credit card. :rolleyes:

Still need to get a DVD player, guess ill be looking for a cheap player with DVI out.

ps the Z2, ISCAN and 6 foot screen was £1700 from loud and clear which i thought was a good deal.

7. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    That looks like a fantastic deal. Can you post Loud and Clear's URL please?

Cheers,
    Joel

8. SinisterRocket

SinisterRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

URL for Loud & Clear

Does not tell you about it on the website, but if you phone the glasgow store they can advice you about it.

9. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks!

10. SinisterRocket

SinisterRocket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Well the best laid plans dont always work out:(
    Loud and Clear called me to tell me that they had undercharged me for the projector package. said the retail price should have been £2400 not £1700. They offered me a refund or going throught with the deal for £2050. including the amp and speakers that would have been £3850. Just to much for me to spend im afraid so i took option B and cancled the order.

Now for the good news.

I ordered the following from sevenoaks.

Z2
    Yamaha 1400 amp
    7 x B&W VM1 speakers
    1 x AS1 SW
    1 x pair of VM1 speaker stands
    7 foot electric draper screen.

all for the pirce of £3500.

I have now recieved all but the amp which i pick up at the weekend.

I have also recieved my yamakawa 365 dvd player. (just need to get a dvi cable)

Took the z2 over to my mates tonight to try out. Did not want to try in my house as im getting windows fitted this week and there is a lot of dustt etc. Also he has a HS10 so was a chance to compare.

First off let me say how happy I am with the Z2, love it infact :)

Overall the HS10 has a brighter picture, with better defined objects in the distance. The Z2 has batter black levels and contrast and is so much quiter. If sound was not an issue I would pick the picture from the HS10, while the black levels where not as nice the bright more detailed picture just edges it on picture quality. But as an overall package I would say its a tie as the sounds issue would get to me. Great Projector, the lens shift is great and so easy to use.

One thing im very happy about is how good the picture looked with some lights on. Dont get me wrong it will be getting used in a light controled room, but i am happpy that i will be able to use with some dimmed lights on when I have friends round to watch the football etc.