1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New system - please help

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by hannanp, Jun 21, 2005.

1. hannanp

hannanp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new to the world of HTPCs and am planning to build a system to allow me to access DVDs, photos and internet from my TV.
    I would like to have the minimum hardware visible by the TV with the PC stashed away elsewhere.
    The system on which I intend to build the HTPC inlcudes 100Gb disk, Radeon 7500 graphic card, creative SBlive sound card, 512mb memory and I'm intending to upgrade to HCE2005.

I'm planning to add a TV receiver card (WinTV-PVR-150MCE) connected to the input from Sky (does this need to go through a sky box or can I get freeview through a direct connection) upstairs

I'm also planning to access it via the Linksys WMCE54AG Dual-Band Wireless A/G Media Center Extender connected to the Tv downstairs.

Do I appear to have missed anything? Do I need an uprated sound card or do I just use the digital output from the extender and not worry about a new soundcard?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Paul

2. pickaxe2000

pickaxe2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you ever buy a WMCE54AG? Have you managed to set it up?
    I have bought one, but are having difficulties.

Thanks

Axe

3. robpow

robpow
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Hi Paul,

My comment would be to only buy components that you know will work together as MCE is one picky little box of tricks. I'm on my second MCE box for that very reason and would recommend you getting parts from a MCE buidler for that extra level of confidence. Of course, you might get lucky and have no problems whatsoever with the parts you had in mind :)

My MCE machine is based on an Optronix motherboard with an AMD64 3000+ CPU, 512 MB RAM, a 320 GB WD disk and two Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T Freeview tuners. Everything else is integrated on the motherboard.

Good Luck!

Matt