New system help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bellers, Jan 12, 2008.

1. bellers

bellers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So I paid a visit to Richer Sounds today because my hi fi has seen much better days. My budget is a maximum of £1000 and it must be able to connect to my PC (which is upstairs - I do have CAT5 cabling) and I would like 5.1 surround for movies too.

I was recommended the following setup and I would like your opinions please

Cambridge Audio 540R amplifier
    Cambridge Audio 540C CD player
    Symphony 200 speaker cable (25m)
    CA Atlantic interconnect
    Mordant 914i front speakers
    Mordant 304 centre speaker
    Mordant 302 rear speakers
    Logitech wireless remote

He said he would be able to do the whole lot for a grand (saving £200) so what do you think? Is it a good setup? Would you do things differently?

2. jagr

jagr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I am not recommending those speakers but Avsales have
    302 @ £69.95
    304 @ £59.95

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I'm not sure what the difference is between the V2 and V3 amps. If it's simply HDMI switching (don't think the CA does upconversion or audio via HDMI) I would save some money there and go for the V2. I heard on here of some folks getting it for £150 with a voucher. Worth looking into. I don't see a sub there, you'll need one for 5.1 otherwise you'll have a 5.0 system :D I would say it's a good deal though but if you're spending that sort of money on an amp, I would look at the Onkyo 605 but if music is your thing, the CA probably is the better bet. The Tannoy F1 5.1 setup might also be worth a listen.

4. bellers

bellers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your replys. The system will be used for about 50% music and 50% film/TV. I was thinking of holding off getting a sub for now unless it's necessary? What I'm really after is the surround effects and I don't want to annoy my neighbours with too much bass!

I have seen the Logitech remote at Amazon for £95 so sourcing the parts from different places could be an option if I make a substantial saving. Richer Sounds have offered me £200 off the list prices if I buy it all together.

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    You NEED a sub. Trust me. :D A Harmony remote is a worthy addition. I prefer the 885/895 to the 525 that I have, it has annoying clicky buttons but you can get a 555 for £42 or something at pixmania. I actually ordered a 885 but cancelled it the following day as I am holding off on a new remote until someone brings one out with bluetooth for the PS3. I'll live with IR and the 525 or my old Pronto until they do.

The CA are supposed to be really good at stereo playback but as I said, I would go for the V2 and if you need a HDMI switch box, simply buy one. I have an oppo hm31 and it cost me £65 or so.

6. rwniel

rwniel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    As it sounds like you don't need anything more than a 5.1 amp, I might have been tempted to say go with the CA 340R instead (rather than the 6.1 540R). However, I would instead reiterate many of the comments that davepuma made; the 540R V2 is even more of a bargain. Sure, the V3 model is very much a tweaked upgrade but not at 75% more cost IMO. If you're unsure, have them demo both amps and decide if you feel it's worth the extra. The CD player is naturally a good match for other Cambridge Audio equipment (both sonically and visually).

Likewise, I'd agree that you should really be thinking about adding a sub as well - have RS price match Bluestream AV on the Avant 309i sub and get it for £173.75. It's a good match for the other Mordaunt Short speakers. You'll need to add an inexpensive sub cable.

Finally, I would consider what I think would be a more balanced MS system given your 50/50 music and movies split; that's the 904i fronts/905i centre/902i rears ~ £400. Again, it's worth a demo though.

Robert