1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new system, help needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Striki, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Striki

Striki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i have to build a cinema system to my brother house and i don't know were to start.
    The room is about 8m long by 4m wide. The budget is about 17000GBP.
    He wants a plasma instead of a projector as he will watch tv in it, and the brand of the amplifier and dvd as to be the same. The amplifier can be a integrated one or poweramp with a processor in separates. And of course there's
    always the speakers.
    i would really be grateful if you could give some help/suggestion.
    Thanks
    :thumbsup:

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Striki,
    What are you looking for 5.1? 7.1? Any Stereo CD requirment? What's the budget for the Plasma? How much do you think you'll have left for the Audio side of things?
    Does the 17k include cabling? Sorry for all the questions but the more we know the more we can help.

3. Striki

Striki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi knightshade, thanks for the reply. The system will be 5.1 for now, but it's better it can be upgradable to 7.1 later. It's just for cinema use almost exclusively, no cd requirements. I think the budget for the plasma is around 5k. 17k are for the all system, including plasma, amp, dvd, processor, speakers , subwoofer. The cables are the only thing not included. Again, thanks for the reply.

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    With the kind of budget your looking at I'd look to manufacturers like LINN, TAG Mclaren and top of the range Yamaha.
    Beyond that with the amount of money your looking to spend you need to spend some serious time in shops listening.
    Speakers you wouldn't go far wrong with PMC or Monitor Audio Gold Reference series. It's a good size room so floorstanders wouldn't be a problem.
    Would your friend be prepared to buy secondhand? With the budget you have you can get a good system. Second hand you could really go to town.
    Sorry I can't help you with the Plasma.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    With that sort of budget,don't forget Meridian,who can provide you with a complete solution in terms of processor,transport,and speakers,with superb sound and build quality to match.
    You could also take a look at ATC for speakers.
    What you really need to do is to listen to as many different combinations as possible,using a friendly dealer to let you audition them in the home first,and be sure to take your brother along with you....the higher the budget,the greater the need to choose carefully,and take some time over it.

I'm sure that plenty of people will suggest good plasmas for you,but I'd suggest you want to leave at least £3-4K for a decent one,and leave yourself therefore about £13-14K for the audio side of things,which should get you something pretty decent.....as Knightshade has suggested,if ex-dem or used is a possibility,then your budget will go further still,and may stretch to include Lexicon,Krell,Bryston etc.

6. Striki

Striki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys!! You've been really helpful. Now i'm going to see and listen all the combos i can come across. THANKS :thumbsup: :thumbsup: