New System for £700

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by horse39, Feb 15, 2014.

1. horse39

horse39
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,
    I'm looking to replace an ancient Sony surround sound system of approx 14 Years old.
    My budget is around £700 and i'm contemplating a HTIB as in Sony 7100 system or separates.
    On the separates side I was considering a Yamaha RXV-475 and a complimentary set of 5.1 speakers.
    My listening would be a mix of TV, Films & Music - although I'm not exactly an audiophile, I would expect quality sound. Network streaming would also be a plus.
    I can't audition as I live in a remote area but would be depending on feedback to my query.
    If you could recommend good value packages (amp & speakers) and the best place to buy online - I would really appreciate it.
    Thanking you in advance.

2. Wheel spin

Wheel spin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes
    Yes Horse,
    I was pretty much on the same boat as you. I live in a rural place that the men still wear bell bottoms, flat form shoes and sport bury Reynolds mustangs. Anyways, if I were you I'd be lokin at the tannoy hts101 pack with either the yamaha rxv675 or the Sony 1040 amp. Both are excellent performers and have connectivity and functions galore. My friend who only lives 4hrs away has these speakers coupled with the older rxv673. Am pretty impressed with this setup. Much better than what I expected to hear!! Richer sounds arnt badly priced at the moment and they deliver to all corners of the uk and beyond. Ofcourse this is only a starting point. Good luck and happy hunting buddy!!

3. AngryBadger

AngryBadger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have the RXV-475, a Tannoy TFX 5.1 speaker package and a Pair of Tannoy Mercury V1i separate speakers. I got a deal at £600 for all 3. I love the setup, the sound is great, the V1i speakers give fantastic sound when playing standard stereo, and work well with the rest to give 5.1. I use the other 2 speakers for the "Zone 2" feature on the Yamaha to be able to play multiple stuff in multiple rooms. The connectivity of the Yamaha is great, I stream music straight to it using Plex Media Server and control it via the app for my iPad / iPhone.

I got mine from Richer Sounds, went in and basically said to the guy what I was looking for and ended up getting this. The total at the time came to nearly £700 and basically dealt at £600. I would suggest just find your nearest Richer Sounds (or similar store, I'm not touting them at all) and just have a chat about your requirements and they should help you out. Even if you don't want to buy anything in store, it can give you a good idea of what you need to buy online.

The Yamaha RXV-475 I feel is a great bit of kit, and for what you are saying your usage is going to be it will do perfectly!

If you have any more questions about it, just drop me a line!