New system for £1000-£1500

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I am after an amp, sub and 5.1 (or 6.1/7.1) for my living room. I want them to go on the wall.
I have xbox 360 (component), Humax PVR (HDMI), Wii (RGB Scart)
My current set up is a Bose lifestlye 12 as seen in pic below. I wan't it for music and moves, as long as it kick the BOSE ass in sound.

bohane

Novice Member
or the acoustic energy aelite on wall 5.1 package on ebay here Acoustic Energy 5.1 Package 2 RRP £ 1544 on eBay, also, Speakers Hi Fi, Home Audio Hi Fi, Consumer Electronics (end time 05-Mar-09 10:18:55 GMT) i had 5 aelite on wall speakers and they are very good, im still using one as a center now. they are rated at 175w each and look tidy on the walls and sound awesome, i changed back to floorstanders as the kids have got older lol

that would then leave you up to £750 for and amp and cables, and remember the rrp for each speaker is £249 and the sub is £249 so its a half price steal. im not sure how the radius hd sounds, but im pretty sure it doesnt £500 better than the ae alternative. and it will kick the crap out of a bose system :)

these aelites have an impresive soundstage and give plenty of detail, they sound cracking with music on thier own but with a sub they blow your socks off, i had the acoustic energy linear sub at the time and they all tied in nicely together. the good thing with having 5 aelites is the soundstage is seamless, and that can only be a good thing ;) the sub however i have never heard myself but it extends down to 25hz and is rated at 150w so is pretty good anyway, but if you offer them an extra £25 (the diference between the neo sub and the evo sub in ae's ebay shop) you couls get the neo subwoofer which has an extra 50w of power. i have the neo sub and its a wolf in sheeps clothing :devil:

i know im always on here singing acoustc energys praises, and im sure people think i may be a rep for them lol but i really do rate their speakers and think that if more people actualy went and listened to them then alot more people would be having them in their front rooms....

good luck with your search, and the system i have mentioned is an outstandng value for money buy and after looking at your pics would look really good in your room. also you have a seven day refund polidy with ae so if you get them and dont like them you send them back for a refund.

andy

Last edited:

Andrew K

Banned
The r180 look pretty good for the wall.
There is also an offer at the moment that with a 5.1 set including the R370HD sub you get a free upgrade to the RSW-12 sub. Now that will really rock the place down.

The SR606 is about as future proof as you can go at the moment. Depends on your budget overall whether you can go further up the Onkyo range.

Let me know by PM if you need anymore help.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Can anyone recommend a good sub cable and speaker cables for a decent set up, thanks.

Last edited:

Robsk1

Take a look at Mark Grant Cables here.

You'll also find him on the Cables power buy forum too.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Take a look at Mark Grant Cables here.

You'll also find him on the Cables power buy forum too.
Thanks, I have used him before, very good stuff.
I have got an old molex HDMI cable buried in the wall, do I need to upgrade it if I am getting a new amp, the TV is only an old panny PV500.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I have decided on r225 for front and centre, r180 rear, rsw12 sub and 876 amp.
I just have to convince the missus now.

JSW

or the acoustic energy aelite on wall 5.1 package on ebay here Acoustic Energy 5.1 Package 2 RRP £ 1544 on eBay, also, Speakers Hi Fi, Home Audio Hi Fi, Consumer Electronics (end time 05-Mar-09 10:18:55 GMT) i had 5 aelite on wall speakers and they are very good, im still using one as a center now. they are rated at 175w each and look tidy on the walls and sound awesome, i changed back to floorstanders as the kids have got older lol

that would then leave you up to £750 for and amp and cables, and remember the rrp for each speaker is £249 and the sub is £249 so its a half price steal. im not sure how the radius hd sounds, but im pretty sure it doesnt £500 better than the ae alternative. and it will kick the crap out of a bose system :)

these aelites have an impresive soundstage and give plenty of detail, they sound cracking with music on thier own but with a sub they blow your socks off, i had the acoustic energy linear sub at the time and they all tied in nicely together. the good thing with having 5 aelites is the soundstage is seamless, and that can only be a good thing ;) the sub however i have never heard myself but it extends down to 25hz and is rated at 150w so is pretty good anyway, but if you offer them an extra £25 (the diference between the neo sub and the evo sub in ae's ebay shop) you couls get the neo subwoofer which has an extra 50w of power. i have the neo sub and its a wolf in sheeps clothing :devil:

i know im always on here singing acoustc energys praises, and im sure people think i may be a rep for them lol but i really do rate their speakers and think that if more people actualy went and listened to them then alot more people would be having them in their front rooms....

good luck with your search, and the system i have mentioned is an outstandng value for money buy and after looking at your pics would look really good in your room. also you have a seven day refund polidy with ae so if you get them and dont like them you send them back for a refund.

andy
This set looks better value at £699

Acoustic Energy Aelite 5.1 Speaker Package RRP £1700 on eBay, also, Speakers Hi Fi, Home Audio Hi Fi, Consumer Electronics (end time 26-Feb-09 15:50:32 GMT)

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member

bohane

Novice Member
it is good value, but the center speaker is the aelite center so wouldnt be wall mountable. the ae's do look good on the wall, and are good value,now it all depends on if you think the ma's are worth that much extra dough ;)

andy

EDIT...or you could just go for 5 aelites (£99 each) and get a bk monlith :devil:

Last edited:

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
now it all depends on if you think the ma's are worth that much extra dough ;)
I hope so, they have been recommended and with the amp and sub it should sound sweet.

bohane

Novice Member
im sure you will be more than happy with them either way ;)

andy

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
im sure you will be more than happy with them either way ;)

andy
I have definately decidied on the Radius HD, RSW12 sub and Onkyo 876 amp, just trying to get the best price now. Thanks for your help.

bohane

Novice Member
it should be a killer system :) good luck with the bargain hunting, i know how hard it can be to get monitor audio speakers at a good price...the words blood and stone come to mind lol i couldnt even find an ex dem set of br5's for less than £300 and they were badly scratched/knocked lol

andy

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
it should be a killer system :) good luck with the bargain hunting, i know how hard it can be to get monitor audio speakers at a good price...the words blood and stone come to mind lol i couldnt even find an ex dem set of br5's for less than £300 and they were badly scratched/knocked lol

andy
I have got a good price on the full set with the amp, I am waiting for some money to come through before SWMBO will let me purchase.

bohane

Novice Member
ahh, i see....i know that feeling, my missus always try to fnd 'better' things for me to spend the money on instead, but she never gets very far with it ;) let us know when you get it all sorted and what you think once its set up :)

andy

DelsFan

Standard Member
Let us know how you rate the Monitor Audio speakers compared to the (admittedly less expensive) Bose system. Many of us don't think so much of Bose, but few of us have lived with one of their systems and then changed to a different system. So I, for one, will be glad to hear your comments.

IF you can swing it, I'd think the HD series Radius speakers would give a noticeable improvement over their regular Radius series speakers, for just a little extra.

GREAT call on the 12" sub - you will never regret that move. And you've seemed to have future-proofed yourself with the Onkyo; it will easily power the small speakers you are considering now (I've always thought sparkle and delicacy and accuracy from your good speakers comes from having power in reserve in your amplifier). If you upgrade speakers in the future, that receiver will still power large bookshelf speakers or small to medium sized floorstanders - but I'm betting with the 12" sub you won't have the desire to upgrade your other speakers unless you quadruple the size of your room...

I know that you have made up your mind; maybe for someone else, two options that I hear good things about and which have really small footprints, like your present system:

HT Express Pro Complete 5.1 / 6.1 / 7.1 Home Theater System

Home Theater Speakers

I know all the Gallo speakers are superior products at their price point, but they must also cost more than the MA stuff.

Good luck; and share your thoughts with us after you've lived with your new system for a week or two.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Let us know how you rate the Monitor Audio speakers compared to the (admittedly less expensive) Bose system. Many of us don't think so much of Bose, but few of us have lived with one of their systems and then changed to a different system. So I, for one, will be glad to hear your comments.
I have just got back from a demo on the radius stuff. It wasn't an ideal set up, the fronts were the old 225 and not HD and the rears weren't even Monitor audio. The amp was also the 606 so not ideal really.
I watched some transformers on BD using TrueHD, some dolby digital demos and some music.
He had the volume set around 50, not sure what these go up to.

Transformers sounded very good and the bass was punchy, but it didn't blow me away, same with the dobly digital demos. Music sounded very good and I listened with the sub off and on, much better with the sub and the sub didn't over power the music.
Basically I am on nights so only got an hours sleep this morning before going down.

Thoughts:
I think the RSW12 definately needs setting up properly as at one point I was stood up and saw the sub moving with not much oomph coming from it.
I think the 876 amp would improve things quite a lot as would running in the speakers at a reasonable volume and bedding them in.
I didn't get to hear the HD's but the shop owner reckons they use the same drivers, I would like to hear them side by side asI reckon they will have a bit more top end.
I had a look at the 225HD and did look nice, a small improvement over the standard speakers.
The installer guy set them up quickly this morning and didn't use the audessey EQ and it was the first time the amp had been used.

Overall a bit disappointed, with the full Radius HD set up I want and setting up with the audessey EQ, tweaking and sub position and on spikes and the 876 amp I would expect the system to sound much better, it is all to do with personal preference and I have not been put off by the demo.
Compared to the BOSE, the BOSE is pretty good TBH and stands up fairly well, the bass is no match from the BOSE but I wouldn't expect it to be, even though there seems to be less dead spots from the acoustimass. I will hopefully be purchasing shortly and I am looking forward to tweaking and hopefully will be a different story once you get it set up in your own home.

Last edited:

WarPig843

Novice Member
Post back with your results, and a photo of your room of course. Im thinking of getting a similar system.

Best of look:)

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
Post back with your results, and a photo of your room of course. Im thinking of getting a similar system.

Best of look:)
It will be a few weeks off yet, I am getting a new floor so I have to decorate about 5 rooms including the living room. I will hopefull get the speakers soon and put them up for a trial run before I take them down to decorate.

Jazz Monkey Jr

Distinguished Member
I am getting the amp and 3 225's a week monday when I come back of hols. I will then get 2 180's and RSW-12 sub when I get more cash.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published