New System Build

hawksa

Standard Member
Reaction score
Planning on a new build replacing everything on my existing PC except for the case. How does the following sound?

Motherboard - ASUS P6T WS Professional iX58 Socket 1366 8 Channel audio ATX Motherboard

Processor - Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Memory - Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 Memory CL9(9-9-9-24) for i7 motherboards

HDD - Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM

PSU - Be Quiet 600W Straight Power E7 PSU

Monitor - Samsung SM2333SW 23" TFT Monitor 1920x1080 300cd/m2 20000:1 5ms DVI/VGA Gloss Black

Sounds pretty good to me:) Are you going to strap a Titan Fenrir onto that cpu and overclock it?

I wasn't planning on overclocking but now you have sewn the seed.....

i7 920 - it would be rude to not overclock it ... :D

What about extra case fans (decent ones) as the 920 will generate a bit of heat.

Would also suggest a 2nd HDD for apps/swap drive if you are doing video work - read from one disk, write to the other = much much faster.

Most cards will drive 1080p 2D no problem at all these days, so unless you want it for games (3D) there is little point getting an expensive (and noisy/hot) graphics card.

I'd swap out the PSU (Be Quiet 600W) for the Antec TruePower NewTP-650.

I've seen good reveiws for both but customPC carried out pretty comprehensive tests recently which indicated stability issues with the BeQuiet under high loads. Plus the Antec's a bargain! :)

Corsair arent the top "manufacturer"

Be Quiet aren't that bad but ther are Enermax, Seasonic (Corsair's OEM) etc.

Nice spec though OP, what GPU you thinking of pairing with it?

Mb i would go for the Gigabyte UD7 for a i7 mb , is a bit Dearer but this is a good upgrade , 24 Phase, Usb 3.0 and sata 3.0 ect .

or if you can hold off and want to spend a bit of money get the asus rampage III extreme thats gonna be a mad motherboard its got the updated x58a chipset, usb 3.0, sata 3 and pci-e 3.0 so with this m/b you will be furture proofed for a very long time :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom