1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New system build major problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by realitybites, Dec 28, 2003.

1. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, have just treated myself to a new system and decided to build it myself. Have built a couple of systems before but a long time ago and p1 systems, big difference.

System consists as follows:

Item: Coolermaster Wavemaster TAC-T01
    QTEC 550 Watt PSU P4 ready Twin Fan Retail Boxed
    Item: A7N8X Deluxe SKT A NForce2 Chipset Motherboard VER: 2.0
    Item: AMD ATHLON XP2500+ 333MHZ FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton CPU – OEM
    Item: Corsair (VS1GBKIT400) 1024MB (2X512) DDR400 PC3200 Memory Module
    Item: Coolermaster CP5-8JD1F-0L Upto XP3200+ Silent Skt A Heatsink & Fan
    Leadtek Winfast 5900 LX
    Item: Coolermaster 80mm Aero Blower Case Fan
    Item: Innovision EIO AP1600 ATA133 Controller Card Retail Box
    Item: Alps 1.44 Silver Floppy Drive 3.5 Inch Internal – Oem
    2 x Western Digital WD1200JD 120gb Serial ATA150 7200rpm 8mb Cache- OEM
    Item: High Quality Round Idecable Ata133 90cm In Blue
    Item: High Quality Round floppy Cable 60cm in Yellow
    Item: Usb Easy Access Keyboard/105 Key Carbonite/silver
    Item: Ebuyer 56K V.90 Hardware Fax/Modem - Retail Box

I am now at my wits end with this, after many hours of configuring this and experiencing a multitude of probs (and ruining my xmas day), I thought I had it finally sorted. Now if I try to use it, I get a prompt that no keyboard is connected, but if I leave it for a while it gets past this and then proceeds to lock up partially into boot up. If I get to the stage of it loading the op sys, it comes up found new hardware and installs USB mouse and keyboard and then freezes. It seemed to me a heat issue, but after consulting the monitoringf software for this Mobo the temp is only at 32 deg and stable. Like I say it varies as to how far I can get the pc to operate for before freezing, yet yesterday I was running games with the CPU tenp rising to about 40 deg. Have tried disconnecting different cards but to no avail. Any help very much appreciated.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sounds to me like its looking for a PS2 keyboard because the usb option isn't enabled in the bios (I'm taking it the mouse and keyboard are USB and that its not already enabled).

Most mobos dont like having a usb device plugged in without being told!

3. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi John, thanks for reply, have been using system with keyboard for previous two days and all worked fine, just today nothing seems to function properly.

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get a No keyboard detected sometimes, and just have to turn off the power and turn on again am sure that the bois is set right, but hey who knows!!!

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Have you got ps2/usb adapters, I'd like to eliminate that....

These sorts of problems are always frustrating to try and sort out. I'd try these things in this order:-

Try reseating the ram.
    Have you got an alternative PSU you could try.
    Have you got an old spare hardrive you could try instead. (I see you have two WD, are they in a striped raid?)

6. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    80% likellyhood of bad memory, either poorly seated or incompatible. Try and get hold of a stick of Crucial memory and try that. Bet it cures it.

7. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies. Have a little more info, system worked for a short while (15 mins running a game) then froze. Reswtarted by holding down power button now I get no keyboard ans memory check failed at about a 10 to 1 ratio in favour of the keyboard. Have got rid of my last pc so cannot try different components. Frustrating is an understatement. Could I have a faulty motherboard? Problem with getting everything at once is you do not know (me at least) which component is causing the probllem. Still I have 3 days left to return the faulty item, but which?

8. BOD

BOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QTEC PSU created no end of probs for me - scrapped it and got myself an Antec Trupower. Never lookd back since.

You have a lot going on in that case and the QTEC is definitely not man enough for the job (btw - the 550w means nothing - its the amperage of each rail and the stability of the unit that matter).

9. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I haven't had any problems with either of the Qtec 550W's that I have in differebnt machines, voltages are nice and stable according to MBM.

If your getting a failed memory check then its either not seated right or failed. I would definitly try removing one of the sticks of ram and then try them one at a time first, then maybe download a ram checker to really test them.

If they test up OK I would be inclined to try PSU next.

10. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all replies, will try reseating the memory and use one stick. Should add if I haven't already also have 4 dvd writers in case! Have upped mem voltage, processor is being recognised as 2500+ ( though initially recognised it as 1100 athlon, FSB was set at 100 upped it to 166 and ok). Have a little more info. M/B has voice prompts to take you through boot sequence, it has thrown up CPU fan not working, memory check failed and no keyboard. Opened case up and it booted alright. Tried a game to test it out and was ok for about 15 mins then froze. With case off and using Asusprobe throughout (which monitors cpu temp, M/B temp and power supply fan and all voltages), everything was fine. Back to random reasons for not booting no keyboard being the main one.

11. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sounds like some duff ram, I would download and run mem test or similar, its just solved a random reboot query for my lads machine. You can get it here

If this doesn't throw up any errors then yoy need to go back to basics and disconnect some of thos dvd drives etc.

12. realitybites

realitybites
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, back to basics seems to have done the job :clap: :clap: have my son playing games on it at the moment for past half hour. Disconnected just two DVD drives and voila booted up no probs. Like I said if I had mentioned the 4 DVD drives :blush: it would have made this an easy job for all you out there. Unfortunately the Q-tec power supply does not have a suitable lead to connect to the m/b to monitor the voltages etc. Strange that my old 300 watt power supply ran my previous system. Graphics card also has to have power supply cable attached. So 3x120gb h/d, 4 x dvd writers, graphics card, floppy, 6 fans, 2 x USB devices drawing power with an oversized CPU cooler, any ideas on a suitable power supply. Again thanks for all the valuable info so far. Am off to get a new computer desk joystick and speakers.