1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New system based around the 436XDE - Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by BeelzebubUK, Sep 18, 2005.

1. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hello. Going to be moving into a new house by November so have decided to replace my ageing bits with a brand new system. Have been reading lots of threads on here for the past couple of weeks and now fairly certain about what I want to get. But want to double check.

Its going into a lounge thats 10'3" x 16'5". Plasma will be hanging dead centre off the 16' wall. All the components will be mounted in a cabinet in the corner of the room.

At the moment I'm looking to get the following :

Pioneer PDP-436XDE
    Pioneer 868AViS DVD Player
    Yamaha YSP-1000 Digital Sound Projector
    Rel Q150E Mk2 Subwoofer
    Optimum 5 shelf AV stand

Already have a PS2, XBOX and DVD Recorder that will be connected as well.

As there will be only a few cables required I can make sure to get some quality ones although haven't investigated that yet.

I'll need :

HDMI from DVD to Plasma
    RGB Scart from Sky+ to Plasma
    Digital Coax from DVD to Speaker
    Optical from Sky+ to Speaker
    RGB Scart from PS2 to Plasma
    Component from XBOX to Plasma
    Optical from Plasma to Speaker
    Subwoofer cable

That lot currently comes to about £4800 with wall mounts for the speaker and plasma and I've also got to figure in installation cost of the plasma and cabling on top of that so guess I'm looking at least £5100+ which I should be able to afford although the main things to buy first are the plasma and speaker.

On paper the components are very good and have good reviews so should be OK but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I am wondering if I should do away with a corner AV unit and just get a low double width one to put under the plasma instead....this would save having to hide cable runs.......anyone done this and have any pictures ?

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    That lot all looks good but cables are going to be expensive if you really need the AV unit in the corner of the room. Low double width is the way that I would go if that is acceptable visually.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You'll be needing a 7m link cable from screen to media box too, that's pricey. Proprietary cables are a bit of a rip off. If you are going to channel the walls for cables, what's stopping you doing a proper surround system, it'll knock spots off the Yamaha thing. Sky+ is RGB scart, not component. You could make one of the consoles component though, and very cheaply.
    So, bringing the AV rack to the plasma saves you a night out immediately, but I'd spend it on speaker cable instead. Even if you can't afford decent speakers now, I'd still do this.

4. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit off topic... Whats in the other end of an RGB Scart? I mean the end that goes into the Reciever???

5. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    MAW - I could have sworn there was component out on the Sky+ but you're absolutely right :oops:

Piers/MAW - Theres no pressing reason to have the AV unit in the corner other than aesthetics as theres nothing else to go under the plasma. Already have a nice low unit that my 32" CRT sits on. Although I'd rather leave as much room as possible between the chairs and screen for a good coffee table.

Could possibly go for something like this which is only 400m deep :

[​IMG]

I'm still debating whether I want to go with the YSP or a standard 5.1 speaker setup. I'm just not really a fan of having speakers hanging off walls although wouldn't mind some flat speakers like the Pioneer S-V70-III's. At least with the YSP I can sell it at a later date and get a proper speaker setup if I change my mind.....but would rather do as little work to the walls as possible.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Pioneer speakers, YUK!!! Mission FS1AV? they have stands as an option, flat wire under the carpet or behind wood floor beading could work then. 400mm deep is far too shallow for anything serious in the way of AV kit. You need about 500mm inc plugs on the back, and a glass rack looks lovely in the shop, but scruffy as hell in your house when all the interconnects are there! Oh god, living up to my avatar, sorry! There are ways and means with glass racks, a back board with the cables threaded thro holes might work.

7. BeelzebubUK

BeelzebubUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    hehe don't worry...I just like the look of the Pioneer speakers but wouldn't have considered them.

I know what you mean about glass racks looking messy.....guess it was another reason to have it in the corner.....think I'll use my big clunky unit for a while. It will give me time to look around rather than rushing into buying something.

I like those mission speakers....very unobtrusive and with the floor stands right against the back wall the cabling will be easy to hide as I am having hardwood flooring put down on the ground floor. Will need to have a listen to them though before making a decision.

I just knew buying speakers would be a pain in the ass :)

Thanks for the advice :smashin:

8. kev777

kev777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've just got the 506 and paired it with the Denon 2910 and the picture is superb. I was thinking of getting the 10m link but figured routing out the walls would be too much of a mess.

I got the audio side of my stuff from creative audio, they do good packages and you can save £££ plus their service is very good.

I got the KEF 5001/denon setup which is very good.