1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New system - B&O and competition

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by OldSkoO1, Aug 8, 2005.

1. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Hi guys! I'm looking to buy some new kit.

Friends of mine seem to just buy all B&O and swear buy it. There more i listen to their setup the more i like it. Even the partners agree on the sound.

Although it sounded superb and fulfilled i'm really summing up actually how different it is to good quality AV amps / speakers kits. What kind of systems could i start looking at to compare. I dont just want to limit myself to B&O. I'm looking for some kit that will take care of music and film/surround sound needs when hooked up to cd player / dvd player; i'll probably get a new cd player too.

My knowledge is very limited really so some places to research would help loads! To me the B&O kit just seemed so appealing because it does what i need. It sounds great, looks so neat, tidy and sleek in a modern looking home, which is essentially what i am after.

Hope you can help

TIA! :)

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    What budget are you looking at here?

You are looking at lifestyle systems like B&O and BOSE more than the hifi kit most av forums owners will own. The nearest to that IMHO is the Cyrus kit

http://www.cyrus.co.uk/

3. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I think you should make contact with a local dealer and basically get them to give you a demo of the best equipment they can provide for the budget you have in mind. Research is a good idea but their is nothing better than getting some real experience of what more traditional hifi can offer against B&O etc.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    In my opinion B&O tend to be very good kit but massively over priced. Bose have a very distinctive sound which you either love or hate, I am in camp 2 on this issue.

As cheapskate recommends, contact a decent hifi store, say what you are wanting (hifi/ av etc) and your budget and get them to set up a couple of systems for you to listen to in their demo room. I would certainly expect you to find that another system will certainly sound better than B&O on the same budget but depending on what sort of style of system you want (sub/sat, full size etc) will dictate if you can find a system that will meet both your style and sound requirements.