GreenGiant1888

Standard Member
I have recently purchased a Hi-Fi set up and am awaiting delivery in the next few weeks.
  • Sonus Faber Lumina II speakers
  • REL HT1003 subwoofer
  • BlueSound PowerNode 2i
The system is mostly for music listening however it will also be connected to the TV therefore the Amp/Streaming Device needs to have a HMDI port.

When I was demo'ing the system the dealer recommended that I go for a Cyrus One Cast due to its power output and connectivity options, however it was a little out of my budget so I opted for the BlueSound PowerNode 2i - it sounded great when I was demo'ing the system but the dealer did caution that the power output is not completely ideal for the speakers.

The Cyrus One Cast is now on sale (£200 off) and I'm wondering if I should pay a little bit extra and upgrade to the Cyrus from the BlueSound. It would give me extra power output per channel. The Cyrus has a Class D amp with 100W per channel and the BlueSound has a Class D AMP with 60W per channel.

Alternatively, I have seen it mentioned that the Rotel A11 Tribute works well with the Sonus Fabers - I could pair that with a BlueSound Node for HDMI connectivity and it would work out at the same price. The Rotel has a Class AB amp with 50W per channel.

I paid £750 for the Blue Sound therefore upgrading to the Cyrus or the Rotel would cost around £250.

Is the upgrade necessary or does my system look good already?

mseve1

Despite the fact that the Powernode (and latest generation Node) has an HDMI connector it isn't well suited for handling digital audio from TVs since Bluesound devices have an inherent 50ms delay which gives rise to lip sync issues. Personally, this deficiency would be a deal breaker for me.

GreenGiant1888

Standard Member
Despite the fact that the Powernode (and latest generation Node) has an HDMI connector it isn't well suited for handling digital audio from TVs since Bluesound devices have an inherent 50ms delay which gives rise to lip sync issues. Personally, this deficiency would be a deal breaker for me.

Do you know of any alternatives to the BlueSound options?

ashenfie

I think the Rotel A11 would be good partner, thu would be the minimum requirement and if I have remember correctly then they are 4ohm. and not very sensitive speakers. You have a BlueSound so no streamer required, I'd be looking for something like a Rega Elex R/Cyrus cast one upwards as an upgrade.

mseve1

Do you know of any alternatives to the BlueSound options?
There are several streaming amplifiers in the £800 - £1000 price range (Quad, Cyrus, Marantz, Denon etc) which would sound at least as good as the Powernode but whose streaming functionality may be lacking in some respects. You may struggle to find any of these with HDMI connectivity and a standard optical connection might have to do.
Of course it may well be that you could live with the Bluesound delay issue so it would be good to get a demo to decide for yourself whether you need to consider the alternatives.

gibbsy

Your sub woofer of choice is from REL's impressive Home Theatre range, hence HT1003. For music the T Series are better having both a high level Neutrik connection as well as a low level LFE connection. The T Series are very agile and highly regarded with a music set up. The T5X would be the equivalent size although commanding a £150 premium over the HT1003.

GreenGiant1888

Standard Member
There are several streaming amplifiers in the £800 - £1000 price range (Quad, Cyrus, Marantz, Denon etc) which would sound at least as good as the Powernode but whose streaming functionality may be lacking in some respects. You may struggle to find any of these with HDMI connectivity and a standard optical connection might have to do.
Of course it may well be that you could live with the Bluesound delay issue so it would be good to get a demo to decide for yourself whether you need to consider the alternatives.

Do you know if the Cyrus One Cast suffers from the same lip sync delay?

I had a look on the BlueSound support website and can see there is rather large threads complaining about the 50ms delay when linking the PowerNode up to a TV - and the response from the BlueSound is that there's nothing they can do. So it looks like another reason for me to upgrade.

GreenGiant1888

Standard Member
Your sub woofer of choice is from REL's impressive Home Theatre range, hence HT1003. For music the T Series are better having both a high level Neutrik connection as well as a low level LFE connection. The T Series are very agile and highly regarded with a music set up. The T5X would be the equivalent size although commanding a £150 premium over the HT1003.
Thanks buddy, the T5X looks a better sub for my needs however I managed to get the REL HT1003 for £400 on a special deal along with £100+ worth of subwoofer cable included. I thought the deal was too good to turn down.

gibbsy

Thanks buddy, the T5X looks a better sub for my needs however I managed to get the REL HT1003 for £400 on a special deal along with £100+ worth of subwoofer cable included. I thought the deal was too good to turn down.
You should be fine with the sub out from the Bluesound and indeed it was too good a deal to pass up.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
As above, assuming you only need stereo sound, using the TV Optical output (assuming it has one, most do) will solve any delay issues generally. But again to re-state, a demo with HDMI and optical connected to compare would be the preferred route.

TB Rich

If connecting to a TV is important then the Elac DS-A101-G is an interesting prospect. It doesn't have HDMI (so TV would be via Optical), but it has Dolby Digital decoding on board. This means you will be able to maintain the LFE track for a proper 2.1 setup; most TV's are going to drop the .1 when doing the down mix to stereo is my understanding.

I've never used one, can't vouch therefore for it's audio quality etc, but it has a great feature set so worth an investigate/demo if you can. Even has an app that you can use to near field monitor your speakers and sub and it'll auto eq it all!

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I have recently purchased a Hi-Fi set up and am awaiting delivery in the next few weeks.
  • Sonus Faber Lumina II speakers
  • REL HT1003 subwoofer
  • BlueSound PowerNode 2i
The system is mostly for music listening however it will also be connected to the TV therefore the Amp/Streaming Device needs to have a HMDI port.

When I was demo'ing the system the dealer recommended that I go for a Cyrus One Cast due to its power output and connectivity options, however it was a little out of my budget so I opted for the BlueSound PowerNode 2i - it sounded great when I was demo'ing the system but the dealer did caution that the power output is not completely ideal for the speakers.

The Cyrus One Cast is now on sale (£200 off) and I'm wondering if I should pay a little bit extra and upgrade to the Cyrus from the BlueSound. It would give me extra power output per channel. The Cyrus has a Class D amp with 100W per channel and the BlueSound has a Class D AMP with 60W per channel.

Alternatively, I have seen it mentioned that the Rotel A11 Tribute works well with the Sonus Fabers - I could pair that with a BlueSound Node for HDMI connectivity and it would work out at the same price. The Rotel has a Class AB amp with 50W per channel.

I paid £750 for the Blue Sound therefore upgrading to the Cyrus or the Rotel would cost around £250.

Is the upgrade necessary or does my system look good already?

Instantly. The Cyrus will drive just about anything all day, the current supply is splendidly ample.

All SFs are unusually fond of plenty of current on a fast tap.

The Node, whilst no doubt functional, is not in the same class as an amplifier, and frankly, the delay is absurd and an instant turn off for anything with video involved.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Ps, if you’re happy to stick to optical (imo hdmi is too much of a pain) then the Rotel will certainly do a great job.

Again an amp with impressive current capability.

The Luminas will thank you for one or the other of the Cyrus or Rotel.

NottsMFC

I've been using TV connected to the HDMI input on my NAD M10 for 2 years and never had any lip sync issues.
Also have a TV in another room connected to optical in of a Node 2 & no issues with lip sync either.

karlsushi

My two penneth. I was checking to see if the Powernode 2i has pre-outs, but it doesn't seem to.

If you like the bluesound, but you need a bit more oomph in your amplification, then a straight Node 2i (non power) connected to the power amp of your choice seems like a sensible way to go. Only issue might be sub connection there though.

In terms of lip sync issues, pretty much all modern TVs have an audio delay function for this very purpose, so should in theory be manageable. Just go to your TV's audio settings.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom