New system advice

gazzawales

Standard Member
I'm new to this forum but I've read loads of threads on here about the various systems on offer including a recent one about the systems on offer at Richer Sounds and this is where I would welcome some advice.

I intend getting a system around the £300 mark but I don't know whether to go for a separates system or a mini system. It is for my living room whihc is about 22' long and 12' wide.

On the mini system, I'm considering the Onyko CR515DAB and matching a pair of Mordaunt Short 902i's to go with it. The Onkyo reviews have been generally good, my mate has one with Gale speakers and it sounds pretty good to me, but then again I do not consider myself an audiophile by any means.

For about the same price, I can get the Tangent separates consisting of a CD Player that plays MP3s, an Amp that puts out 40 watts per channel and is more than enough for me and a DAB Tuner. Additionally I thought I'd go for a pair of the MS 902i's for this also as I've heard so many good things about them.

The Tangent stuff looks pretty good to me butI know very little about them, other than I think they are owned by Eltax and some of the Eltax stuff looks OK to me too!

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Gaz

Hi m8. Nice to see a fellow welshman on here. Right nothing wrong with the Onkyo system but are we thinking long term. If you buy a seperates system it leaves an opening for upgrading. i.e 12 months down the line you can upgrade your cd player and then your amp at a later date when funds allow. With an all in one when you upgrade you're starting from scratch. My advice is seperates m8. GreameC on here has just bought a cracking system from richer sounds. Be worth reading his thread. As i advised him , take time to decide what you buy. You have a big room so you'll need the system and speakers to sound well in it.

gazzawales

Standard Member
Hiya mate,

thanks for the advice. I just took a look at GreameC's thread on his system. I quite like the sound of the Cambridge system at Richer Sounds, the ony problem is that it's a little outside what I had budgeted for. This is why I thought the Tangent would have been a good starter.

I'll have to have a good think about this!

Happy New Year to you!

Gaz

Hi m8. Nice to see a fellow welshman on here. Right nothing wrong with the Onkyo system but are we thinking long term. If you buy a seperates system it leaves an opening for upgrading. i.e 12 months down the line you can upgrade your cd player and then your amp at a later date when funds allow. With an all in one when you upgrade you're starting from scratch. My advice is seperates m8. GreameC on here has just bought a cracking system from richer sounds. Be worth reading his thread. As i advised him , take time to decide what you buy. You have a big room so you'll need the system and speakers to sound well in it.

RossFlet

Have another look at the Greamec thread and note my comments about hanging back a little (patience!) until you CAN afford the Cambridge CDP/amp deal and don't skimp on the speakers. You want a result that satisfies you for a while. Like cars, sound gear loses value quickly. And make sure you trial it at home for a few days. You may not be an audiophile now but the fact you are looking at this forum suggests you are heading that way :D

gazzawales

Standard Member
Ross,

thank you. I thought long and hard about this and decided to go for the Onkyo CR515 with a pair of MS 902i's (all in black). I've ordered Nexus 6 speakers (also black) stands to go with it.

Planet Rock has never sounded so good.

Gaz

Have another look at the Greamec thread and note my comments about hanging back a little (patience!) until you CAN afford the Cambridge CDP/amp deal and don't skimp on the speakers. You want a result that satisfies you for a while. Like cars, sound gear loses value quickly. And make sure you trial it at home for a few days. You may not be an audiophile now but the fact you are looking at this forum suggests you are heading that way :D

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom