New system advice?

progtastic

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum!

I currently run a Cyrus Lyric 9 and Tannoy XT6F speakers. it sounds good, particularly at high volumes. Over the last year, I’ve got more and more into streaming, using Tidal and Qobuz. The issue I have with the current setup is the Cyrus cadence software: it is diabolically bad (and I mean really bad) and a brilliant example of why a Hi-Fi manufacturer should not write user software! So much so, it is becoming incredibly annoying and I either don’t use streaming or resort to playing CDs. Not good.

I’ve finally decided enough is enough and I’ve decided to upgrade the entire system, which is a bit dramatic I’ll admit. The Cyrus for a one box solution is actually a very capable unit, so in upgrading, it requires careful consideration. The Cyrus sound is detailed, but not what I would call warm. An old system I had with Arcam alpha amps was warm, and I miss that. Hence, in terms of what I want, I basically want a new system to sound ‘musical’, I.e. I am not interested in the last word in detail and it being analytical. That is, to be able to listen to it all day without fatigue ( so I definitely don’t want Focal speakers from what I’ve read). I also want a system that sounds really good when played quietly, something my current setup does not excel at.

The next problem is deciding what to focus on (the age old argument!). Some people say 1/3 roughy on speakers, amp and source, others say a 1/2 on speakers alone. I’ve taken a bit of fancy to the new Wharfedale Elysian 4 speakers, and would be intrigued to hear them. No idea what amp, but the musical fidelity m6500 looks interesting as does the ATC pre/power (p2) combo. Streamers? Naim ndx 2 or Auralic Vega (g1 or g2)? I am thinking on using the DAC in the streamer and a separate CD transport for discs. It is potentially a lot of cash, but if I can get something seriously good for less that would be a bonus since spending a lot more is not always the answer either.

Any advice appreciated!

This amount of £ drops you into Lyngdorf TDAI3400 territory for a combined streamer/DAC/amp with the much lauded room perfect software to make the most of your room and speakers. Home demos are available and many on this forum have taken advantage of that. If you feel it is a bit underpowered there are matching power amps to biamp the speakers but doubtful in domestic situations.

I suspect the ATC amps will be similar to the Cyrus, brutally revealing but not the most warm amps as they come form a studio heritage.

Welcome to the forum😊.

Do you really need a new CD player??? There’s a lot of options today to stream your cds from your local network.

Me personally the Yamaha AS3200, Hegel H390. Spendor A7. Streamer:Node2i or the new Node 2021 version. Only if you can spend less cash on speakers since the Hegel, Yamaha amplifiers are very expensive.

Then you have amplifiers with build in streaming vs non.

You might like amplifiers with build in streaming. There’s a lot option in that price class.

The Lyngdorf mentioned above might suit you.

Me personally you don’t need too spend silly money on extra external DAC’s.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses so far. in term of a CD player, its only really from the perspective of convenience if my wife wants to play a CD, hence I’ll buy a CD transport for that. She doesn’t really get streaming and my intent is to rip all CDs to a NAS.

I’ve looked at amps with built in DACs and my thought is that it is better to keep an amp as a purely analogue device, as digital components are a source of noise. In addition, there is always the risk of a DAC built into an amp becoming obsolete as technology moves on. That’s why, i want a separate streamer/DAC.

I’ve looked at amps with built in DACs and my thought is that it is better to keep an amp as a purely analogue device, as digital components are a source of noise. In addition, there is always the risk of a DAC built into an amp becoming obsolete as technology moves on. That’s why, i want a separate streamer/DAC.
I don’t think you should worry if the amplifier gets obsolete. Amplifiers with build streaming like forum favorites Lyngdorf have firmware updates which keep the amplifier in working order.

Yes, an amplifier with build in streaming/DAC might someday break down, and you need to send it back.

I must say I also use non streaming amplifier but that might change in the future.

With your budget I highly recommend listening too as many speakers etc. Sonus Faber are epically known for their silky smooth romantic sound. Rich midrange which emphasizes on voices. Super detailed treble but still not tiring,

Sonus Faber are also wife accepted speakers.

I don’t think you should worry if the amplifier gets obsolete. Amplifiers with build streaming like forum favorites Lyngdorf have firmware updates which keep the amplifier in working order.

Yes, an amplifier with build in streaming/DAC might someday break down, and you need to send it back.

I must say I also use non streaming amplifier but that might change in the future.

With your budget I highly recommend listening too as many speakers etc. Sonus Faber are epically known for their silky smooth romantic sound. Rich midrange which emphasizes on voices. Super detailed treble but still not tiring,

Sonus Faber are also wife accepted speakers.
Thanks for your response. I agree with with you on speakers, it’s absolutely essential to go and listen.

At the price range I am looking at, nothing is “bad”, it’s really a question of taste. I didn’t know that Sonus Faber had such a reputation
For silky smoothness. I am also intrigued by the Wharfedale Elysian’s, and I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has auditioned them or bought them. The interview with Peter Comeau from Wharfedale was interesting, and he described the Elysians as being “musical” and non fatiguing.

Thanks for the responses so far. in term of a CD player, its only really from the perspective of convenience if my wife wants to play a CD, hence I’ll buy a CD transport for that. She doesn’t really get streaming and my intent is to rip all CDs to a NAS.

There is no chance of anything digital adding ‘noise’ to an amp.

It’s the 21st century, that does not happen and never did in anything but the cheapest, most poorly made amplifiers.

Ps, the Lyngdorfs are scarily quiet. There’s is no noise at all. Very unusual and very welcome.

And RP is a revelation.

Regardless of what speakers you buy, your listening room is the biggest impediment to awesome sound quality, and as RoomPerfect removes that variable, for your cash, it’s the way to go.

If, on the off chance that there is a mega change in dac quality in the next decade, then it is exactly as simple to add a newer dac to an amp with one already built in as it is to add one to an amp without.

Ps, the 3400 will drive anything.

The Elysium do look like first rate speakers.

If you can get a listen to a pair of SF Olympicas that might prove revealing too.

For instance,

I’d also consider Neat.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Not auditioned any speakers yet, but I am pondering whether to go for larger bookshelf speakers. My current tannoy xt6fs are small for floorstanders and the setup in my lounge is not exactly ideal. The room is 22 x 12 and the speakers are along the long wall. Nothing I can do about that, other people live in the house! Hence, I am concerned that anything else other than a compact floorstander or large bookshelf would overload the room. That said, it’s a modern house, so the walls are somewhat porous as far as what the speakers actually “see”. Has any one heard the new ProAc K1s? What hi fi loved them. Interestingly, in terms of cabinet volume, they are actually slightly larger than my Tannoys so filling the room is not therefore likely to be a concern.

@progtastic - Just posted a thread as didn't want to hijack yours, would appreciated your comments. Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom