Question New system advice to replace Devialet Phantoms

Ripgroove

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for help in replacing a pair of Devialet Phantom Golds with a more traditional speaker and amp setup purely because I cannot get on with those speakers when connected to a turntable.

The budget is about £5k and the stereo system must be perfect for turntables. The thing I really like about the Phantoms is the full range sound and bass response, it is punchy and low enough to not need a sub so ideally looking to find a similar sound.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Interested to know what the problem is with using them with a turntable when you like the sound they produce?

Interested to know what the problem is with using them with a turntable when you like the sound they produce?

The buzz/hum was horrendous, but I think I've fixed it.

I've got a perfectly grounded turntable that sounds find on other amps but I just couldn't get the hum down to an acceptable level with the Phantoms using a Pro-ject Optical Box E.

Was just about to throw the towel in and the someone said I should give the Pro-Ject DS2 USB a go (a lot more money but very good pre-amp with digital out). The hum/buzz has almost gone completely and you can't hear it at all when playing a record.

Looks like I'm keeping the Phantoms after all....

Sounds good news - hum can be really annoying! i had a hum on my old Arcam amp which seems to have reduced markedly when I moved it into new house!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom