New System Advice Please

CharlieLevy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got about a £1,500 - £2,000 budget and wanted some advice on a new set up. Its for a fairly small area (4m x 3m) in a room which is two times as long. And I'm keen that it can also be my main stereo (please don't judge me but proper Iphone integration would be really good since I don't have everything on CD too) as well as a decent surround sound system for films and games - Though I realise this does often involve compromise somewhere I thought my budget was decent enough to achieve both.

Here is the kicker though, the speakers at least, need to look great and would preferably be white and small if my other half will allow them. I had been looking at getting some White B&W CM1s for the front, a matching centre and perhaps a pair of White B&W M1s at the back - no idea on subs yet.

At the moment I have a Sony STRDG-820 with Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers - I'm obviously looking for an upgrade here. I was thinking of keeping the amp, but I've just realised I can't bi-wire the extra rear channels to power the CM1s and I've been advised it won't be up to the job.

We quite like the neighbours, so weren't going to go too extreme on power! But any suggestions would be very welcome!

... I had been looking at getting some White B&W CM1s for the front, a matching centre and perhaps a pair of White B&W M1s at the back - no idea on subs yet.

At the moment I have a Sony STRDG-820 ... I was thinking of keeping the amp, but I've just realised I can't bi-wire the extra rear channels to power the CM1s and I've been advised it won't be up to the job.

We quite like the neighbours, so weren't going to go too extreme on power!
To me it sounds like a salesman hoping to sell you a new receiver. Although the CM1's are not the most sensitive speakers available (84dB @ 2.83V @ 1m), given the small room and the desire not to share your setup with the rest of the street, I'd say the current Sony is plenty powerful enough. Put the money into the speakers and sub, and if there's any left over, you'll be able to afford some additional source material to play through it.

Small and white speakers?

Q acoustic 2000 5.1 speaker system in gloss white, will give you enough punch for that size room. Though with your budget you could get some nicer speakers, at the cost of being larger however.

Q Acoustics 2000 5.1 AV Speaker Package at Audio Affair

Are larger speakers definitely a no?

The next best thing to do would be to get an AV receiver and then pick up an Ipod dock to go with it.

With a budget such as yours you really have a lot of options.

Onkyos tend to go pretty well with the Q acoustic 2000's, anything from the Onkyo 609 upwards would suite them fine. Spending more an amp at this stage would unnecessary in my opinion based on the requirements you've given us.

Onkyo TX-NR609 AV Receiver at Audio Affair

You can get a lead to plug your Ipod directly into the amp, alternatively you have the option of an Ipod docking station, such as this Onkyo one..

Onkyo DS-A4 iPod Dock at Audio Affair

Which gives you option of changing the volume from the dock remote or the amp remote, but there are really plenty of ipod docks to chose from.

I'm aware this is all under your budget by quite a bit but unless someone else can correct me, with the requirement you've set of small speakers I'm not sure you would have to push your budget up to £2000.

You could get a better amp now, and potentially upgrade your speakers at a later date, which may be a wise choice, what do you think the chances are of you being allowed larger speakers in the future?

:)

Alternatively you could look to the Monitor Audio Radius Speakers which again will give you a massive upgrade over the Q Acoustics and Tannoy Speakers. These are available in a Gloss White without any extra premium in price.

They include wall mount so no additional cost here either. You can also choose where you wish to have a sound bar with three dedicated speakers of choose to have 5 speakers in the traditional 5.1 set-up.

Monitor Audio Radius Speakers

I would say as a basic set-up you should be looking to the R90HD and R180HD at the front with the R45HD's at the rear For a Subwoofer can this be an alternative colour?

The Amplifier and Dock recommended are perfect for these speakers to!

If you are local to us and wish to book yourself in for a demo please do give us a call 01282 864048.

Regards. Shane.

Thank you, that is really helpful!!

I’m not sure he was trying to sell me an amp – I was pretty sure I could bi-wire mine, but its great if you think this will be enough to power it since there seems to be a dock I can get from Sony that will integrate the amp and by-pass some of my iPhone’s circuitry.

I’m definitely liking the idea of spending less and focusing on the speakers (if that is the consensus view??)– Would the CM1s and M1s be a good match? Any thoughts on a suitable sub – I don’t know much about sub’s, but I suspect anything would be an upgrade from the SFX, but the B&W one suggested as a match for the CM’s is outrageously expensive.

In terms of speaker sizes I’m coming round to her point of view – it’s a long room and the plan is to have the TV dividing between the living and dining areas. This means that any speakers will be quite literally in the middle of the room – so we really are talking about small bookshelf speakers that can sit next to the TV.

Thank you for the offer Shane, but I’m based in London.

Charles

It can be difficult to picture the effects of a TV and speakers in the middle of a room, but in general the nuisance factor is the same for a small speaker on a stand as for a full height speaker of the same width and depth. Either way, you have to get around them.

I can't help wondering if you might not be better of with speakers mounted on the ceiling but aimed towards you (I don't mean in-ceiling speakers). This is how we solved the similar issue with our rear speakers, which are in the separation between the living and dining areas.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom