New Synology NAS's coming soon.

If you use the ready NAS drives they will need to be formatted, id use Btrfs so you will need to backup your data first
The 920 has docker so you could run docker from that instead
If you needed transcoding for plex, I don’t think it will be as good as an i3

Slightly off topic. Would it be better to run tvhead via docker, & would it be better to run plex server via docker

Cheers mate, backups have already been made. That was the plan with docker:smashin:

The i3 was an ivybridge, so pretty old, also no hardware transcoding back then but for Plex transcoding is not of great importance tbh although I guess it would be nice to use the Apple TV Plex app again (audio is transcoded),

I do have a sat receiver and motorised dish which I only use for feeds so this is setup to act like a hdhomerun device which works with the Plex DVR feature, helps getting some TV to rooms without an aerial but performance is a tad flakey at the moment, so I do hope this can improve. To touch on your other post TVheadend could also be an option providing there is driver support for my tuner. I did manage to get it working on the xpenology but it was a pain as the driver had to be compiled from source, its not really a road I would like to go down again, I am not really holding out much hope here as TBS are generally a bit crap on the driver front.

@Sloppy Bob don't be so modest;)

have to say, very impressed with the performance of the 920+ so far......working well for me at the moment and certainly seems more sprightly in most tasks.....and importantly, PLex works well for 4K material with zero issues (I'm playing back on ATV4K units over Infuse Pro so all direct stream/play

@jouster I don’t supposed you know if the driver issue with plex has been fixed?

No worries if you are not sure as I can just apply the workaround in the below link. Mine is currently out for delivery with Royal Mail so should arrive this AM

@jouster I don’t supposed you know if the driver issue with plex has been fixed?

No worries if you are not sure as I can just apply the workaround in the below link. Mine is currently out for delivery with Royal Mail so should arrive this AM

not sure if that previous issue was a transcoding one...I play all my stuff at original res (Direct PLay/Direct Stream) so haven't seen any issues myself

Should also state, I've never used PLex players to playback 4k stuff...I've always used Infuse pro which is much better for 4K from my experience even when playing from an older DS216 Play NAS

not sure if that previous issue was a transcoding one...I play all my stuff at original res (Direct PLay/Direct Stream) so haven't seen any issues myself

Should also state, I've never used PLex players to playback 4k stuff...I've always used Infuse pro which is much better for 4K from my experience even when playing from an older DS216 Play NAS

No worries mate, agree, I also prefer infuse.

I have used plex though since it was the Mac only fork of xbmc/kodi so the wife is familiar with it and she would rather use that, but even with the new player audio needs to transcode certain codecs to flac, not 100% on why it does this but at a guess it’s because Plex do not want to pony up to pay for the appropriate licenses so the client can decode direct on the device.

yes i also started playing with plex quite some time ago now...when it first made its way onto Mac...but Ive always stuck by Kodi until about a year ago when I got my first Apple TV box.

My existing (and still in use) behemoth of a media server (130TB and counting) still is my main storage and provides backup for my NAS box hence not needing raid.SHR or simialr...its really just dumb storage if honest...so its certainly overkill in a way...

Reminds, me, need to get the DS216Play rebuilt so I cna move it on...PLays back 4K perfectly on ATV4K/Infuse Pro so its still a very capable unit (unless you need transcoding)

I have just noticed one quite big improvement...I've had an HDHomerun Quattro for a while now BUT on my older Marvel-based NAS (216Play) its wasn't very smooth in operation. I've just recorded an episode of Countdown to the NAS and its worked very well and playback is very smooth.

NOt entirely sure how much ill use this BUT its good to know I can see stuff remotely and recorded to this and then push it around my home network as opposed to my Freeview HD box which has to be watch from the box only

Hi mate

This does indeed fix Hardware transcoding , there is a discussion on this (including the fix) the plex forum. check my post from Wednesday which has the link
Apols. You’re absolutely right and I’ve just posted the same link as I didn’t read yours before as I didn’t have issues with Infuse Pro playback at all

that said this has made playback on PLEX itself far far better so the new CPU is obviously a great upgrade.

I have to assume Synology will end up supplying a separate build for the *20+ range for now as not everyone is either going to be up for trawling the web and making these changes or even happy to do so.

Either way, mine is now running like a dream. Just tinkering with Docker now

Last edited:
Apols. You’re absolutely right and I’ve just posted the same link as I didn’t read yours before as I didn’t have issues with Infuse Pro playback at all

that said this has made playback on PLEX itself far far better so the new COU is obviously a great upgrade.

no need to apologise mate that guide linked is far more comprehensive, certainly better than searching through a few lines hidden within multiple posts :smashin: .The plex thread is reassuring for those who have not attempted it themselves.

agree with plex on this hardware, It is excellent. Although I am going a bit docker mad atm, so will probably have to invest in some ram soon :facepalm:

I am having a bit of bother with pihole atm though, assume its port related but I am probably a bit out of my depth, dns requests are being handled but nothing is being resolved. I have tried both the basic guide and also the macvlan way, I was tired though, assuming the kids don’t play up I may have another go today

no need to apologise mate that guide linked is far more comprehensive, certainly better than searching through a few lines hidden within multiple posts :smashin: .The plex thread is reassuring for those who have not attempted it themselves.

agree with plex on this hardware, It is excellent. Although I am going a bit docker mad atm, so will probably have to invest in some ram soon :facepalm:
Let me know the best deal you find. I assume you’ll go third party?

Let me know the best deal you find. I assume you’ll go third party?

Will do mate, yes third party, most likely one of the crucial modules

Due to how cheap it is I was going to just get the 16gb module but then I cam across this thread on Reddit which made me rethink. So will probably just get an 8gb one for now, 12gb in total should be more than enough

Will do mate, yes third party, most likely one of the crucial modules

Due to how cheap it is I was going to just get the 16gb module but then I cam across this thread on Reddit which made me rethink. So will probably just get an 8gb one for now, 12gb in total should be more than enough

let me know exactly which module you go with and how you get on please

Just got home today. Started the 920, just migrated. Had to uninstall & reinstall some packages.

I can see the docker package, but it fails to run? any suggestions?.

Last edited:
Just got home today. Started the 920, just migrated. Had to uninstall & reinstall some packages.

I can see the docker package, but it fails to run? any suggestions?.
Sorry but Docker ain’t my speciality and I’m very green with at the mo

will say one thing though, got my FIL to test a 4K file from my NAS on his ATV4K over the Internet and playback ofa

a 108 mbs bIt rate file in 10 bit HDR played faultlessly. I’m blown away by the performance.

I won’t be giving access to it as sending out a file of that size does really tax the system and wouldn’t even let me play the same file locally without shutting down the external stream.
Either way it seems with the UHD driver fix the system is a beast

it does mean I could take my ATV4K with me and set up when away though and pretty much access anything which is impressive

just got docker to run, by disconnecting the vpn.

Sorry but Docker ain’t my speciality and I’m very green with at the mo

will say one thing though, got my FIL to test a 4K file from my NAS on his ATV4K over the Internet and playback ofa

a 108 mbs bIt rate file in 10 bit HDR played faultlessly. I’m blown away by the performance.

I won’t be giving access to it as sending out a file of that size does really tax the system and wouldn’t even let me play the same file locally without shutting down the external stream.
Either way it seems with the UHD driver fix the system is a beast

it does mean I could take my ATV4K with me and set up when away though and pretty much access anything which is impressive
Thanks for that, exactly what I want to do at my caravan :smashin:

A q
Thanks for that, exactly what I want to do at my caravan :smashin:
Quick test this morning and transcoding 4K down to 1080p is still horrible though, at least with an h265 10 bit file

so this is on viable on a 4k compatible device and assume you’ll need a FAST connection

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom