New Synology NAS's coming soon.

bubblegum57

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a Synology DS414. It works for my needs, Plex & Kodi. But I have been thinking of replacing it. I have been looking at Nas compares youtube videos. I had been think of getting a Asustor Nimbustor. But then I saw a video saying it looks like newer Synology Nas's should, if past experiences are anything to go by they will be released late summer early autumn.

There are more videos discussing these new nas's. I just thought people might be interested, if they are also looking to replace their Nas.

Thanks, I was looking at getting one now but will hold for a while longer.

I have DS414 and have been so impressed for so long with it that I will stick with Synology in future.

I have 2x DS1718+ and the only reason I see the need to replace is when they fail or if it becomes cheaper to replace than it does increase drive sizes.

I'm at 8x10TB's in one of them and upgrading to 12TB's is pointless. Larger drives get prohibitively expensive so hopefully by the time I need more space the price will have dropped or I'll look at an expansion module.

My DS214 Play has been and still is rock solid, i'm only upgrading to be able to transcode in Plex occasionally when at my carvan.

My DS214 Play has been and still is rock solid, i'm only upgrading to be able to transcode in Plex occasionally when at my carvan.
so will you be upgrading when the new nas's come out?

so will you be upgrading when the new nas's come out?
Yes to a 4 bay hopefully, I have been looking to get a DS918+ but will wait now to see what the new DS920+ costs, or may even be able to get a cheaper DS918+ once the newer model arrives.

I'm thinking the same thing.

also looking to see what the 920+ is like when released....also happy with a 918+ as only using for dumb storage and not really needing the transcoding abilities...that said interested in VMs and other Docker style stuff than can be done on the more powerful units....hopefully we won't have to wait much longer for more info and drop in prices

Yes, it would have been great to have had this during the lockdown to play around with, hopefully not too much longer.

Yes, it would have been great to have had this during the lockdown to play around with, hopefully not too much longer.
I've currently got more than enough storage devices (125TB self-built 24 bay server, 4TB in DS216 Play and 4TB in 414Slim). Whatever Synology device I get next will replace the two existing ones...already got 26TB of drives ready to go in

I've currently got more than enough storage devices (125TB self-built 24 bay server, 4TB in DS216 Play and 4TB in 414Slim). Whatever Synology device I get next will replace the two existing ones...already got 26TB of drives ready to go in
I am showing this post to my wife later to show her how much behind the lads my hobby is :D

hopefully this is the start of things to come.

Box.co.uk are selling the 918+ delivered for £469.99 delivered.

Seems to be as good as most used priced at the moment so certainly a good start.

Im not going to jump just yet as assume others will follow soon

Last edited:
Actually, saw a deal for a DS218+ on hotukdeals, then looked on box & saw this.

to be honest, if it were £450 id jumpnow...but i think when the 920+ gets fully released we will see some better deals

I put a price alert with idealo.co.uk, for £435

I suspect a lot of people are waiting for the new models to come out, hoping the DS918+ comes down.

Are the desktop machines usually cheaper than a comparable rackmount alterantive?

Are the desktop machines usually cheaper than a comparable rackmount alternative?
yes...partly because they are aimed at business but also because i think they have a better warranty

I've considered rackmount (as my existing 125TB 24 bay server is rack-mounted) but in truth, I like the idea of it being at hand for USB backup copies and stuff and being able to see if it's up and running at a quick glance from study

125TB 24 bay server

:eek: 24 bay... wow

Ye, had planned for a rackmount one as I've picked up a small 6U rack for garage just for switches and CCTV. Can go next to the rack though, not the end of the world if the cost saving is significant.

:eek: 24 bay... wow

Ye, had planned for a rackmount one as I've picked up a small 6U rack for garage just for switches and CCTV. Can go next to the rack though, not the end of the world if the cost saving is significant.
yes i went big early....when we moved into our house I had the whole house run with multiple cat6....then coming from a HP Microserver I decided I wanted to future proof...so ordered a 25 bay Norco case and 24 x 4TB drives...

AS you can imagine its a power-hungry beast...and whilst it does get used, I now used Plex/Infuse on Multiple Apple TVs more than we use the Kodi PC (again built especially) its still great but for 4K material it needs some work...and it's just easier with A Synology. Hence wanting the 918+ no transcoding needed with INfuse Pro but it would nice nice to have all in one unit and dockers and similar as well (which 2 currently Synology NAS's don't have)

No bargains yet and it is looking as if the current generation may be better for Plex Transcoding than the newer replacements.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom