New SVS sub lack high pass

rccarguy3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just sold a svs sb12+ and that had useful feature of high pass on the high level (metal binding posts in and out) and on the line level (RCA and XLR)

Downloading the new subs, the 4000 and ultra range no longer even have high level input, and have no high pass feature whatsoever!

My sbu13 at least has high pass on line level, but it has no high level in/out

Granted in av system these won't be used, bit in a hifi they are useful features, I did use high pass for a while on both low level and high level.

Bit disappointing my SB 12+ is last of the breed. Other brands don't have high low level and high level in/out, on metal binding posts,.RCA, XLR, and room compensation or peq.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201231-200139.png
    Screenshot_20201231-200139.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 255
I think it would be good to have line level high-pass filter outputs on more subs.

Regarding your high-level high-pass output was this to use an amp within the sub to drive a pair of speakers? The appeal of something like this would seem very limited to me.

I think it would be good to have line level high-pass filter outputs on more subs.

Regarding your high-level high-pass output was this to use an amp within the sub to drive a pair of speakers? The appeal of something like this would seem very limited to me.

Nope. Itll still use the hifi amp power to power the speakers not the sub.

I used line level between pre and power on my sb12+ for a while, and tried high level also.

This feature isn't required in av system however it gives a bit more flexibility in a hifi system (passes 80hz and up to speakers, redirects 80hz and below to sub cone)

I used a outlaw icbm-1 for a while which does a similar, bit better (higher quality components and adjustable high pass) but basically the same as the line level high pass

Nope. Itll still use the hifi amp power to power the speakers not the sub.

That's what could be done with a line-level high pass output, which is what I agree I can see a use for and would like to be more common. I'm completely lost as to what a high-level high-pass output might be if it doesn't drive speakers?

I would expect the newer version of my sbu13 (sb4000) to have this feature.

I'd be a bit peed off if I bought sbu16 and didn't have these.
That's what could be done with a line-level high pass output, which is what I agree I can see a use for and would like to be more common. I'm completely lost as to what a high-level high-pass output might be if it doesn't drive speakers?

What if your integrated amp lacks pre outs? Hifi has pre and obviously speakers level, so line level is better however you have to send signal to sub then onto speakers, or first onto power amp, so speaker level could be more handy in some setups.

I'd be peed if bought sb4000 or sbu16 thinking it had this features because earlier models had them but they added pretty useless remote control (like rel) and removed useful features.

What if your integrated amp lacks pre outs? Hifi has pre and obviously speakers level, so line level is better however you have to send signal to sub then onto speakers, or first onto power amp, so speaker level could be more handy in some setups.

I know of absolutely no hifi (stereo) amplifier that could make use of a high-level output from a subwoofer. With an integrated amplifier or a power amplifier what you'd want is a line level high-pass output from a subwoofer. (It makes no difference if an integrated amp has pre-amp outs or not.)

As above, the only conceivable use I can think of is if the subwoofer itself powered the other speakers, as some home cinema audio packages at least used to do and probably still do (I'm no going to bother checking). Are you sure this isn't what the outputs on your current sub do?

Many subs have high level in and out. The sub won't power the left and right speakers.

From amp high level out, into sub, then onto speakers.

Many subs have high level in and out. The sub won't power the left and right speakers.

From amp high level out, into sub, then onto speakers.

If the connection is direct from the sub to the speakers then it is powering the speakers.

Or possibly you're saying that the high-level in/out loop on the sub put an additional crossover capable of filtering high current signals that then go on to the speakers? I've never heard of this if it does and perhaps naively I'd have thought it was very hard to make such a circuit that worked well with a range of downstream loudspeaker crossovers. This last point may partly be why such a system has been dropped if it ever did exist, along with the additional power loss in the additional crossover circuitry I suspect.

Oh, and if I have finally understood you correctly in my last post then it is not just SVS that don't do this. I don't know of any current subwoofers on sale that do this. (There may be a very unusual exception of course but it's not a mainstream option.)

I think the lack of high-level inputs is much more the limitation of use with hifi amplifier by the way, rather than high-pass outputs. Although in my opinion the DSP options with line-level connections are always going to be superior, it's just that the user has to be prepared to introduce electronics to facilitate this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom