New surrounds

peter the butcher

I have my old pair of MS 10i Classics here, and have just bought the Q Acoustic glass shelves. The problem is, I was going to put the MS speakers on the rear shelves , but sat here looking at them, they are (I think) to big, at 300mm tall and dark wood (not in keeping with the decor) . What are the recommendations for replacing them, and keeping the brand new shelves ( they are not up yet) but have to be a similar quality sound.

Regards
Peter

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If your looking at a smaller speaker solution, then the Monitor Audio Radius Speakers are a fine speaker, however they do benefit from a subwoofer (For stereo: ideally it'll have a high level input too usually requires another cable).

At the moment, there is an offer on the Radius gloss whites too, used with the Rel T-Zero (which can be hidden out of site) will create a similar sound experience to the smaller Silver floorstands without having to own floorstands in the room

peter the butcher

Thanks for that. I have a BKxxls400 on my list of subs, and as for speakers, I will give the MA's a go, and see how the MS's go as fronts, if they are not up to scratch, will replace them with either a good set of stand mounts or floorstanders. My music accounts for most of my listening, with the few films on Netflix and disc .
As an aside, since I started thinking what I wanted, the bug has got me, go very good 2.1 channel or quite good 5.1... must stop looking at mags, and toss a coin ;-)

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As I'm unaware of your budget, but as you have said you are after a pair of musical speakers, then the Amphion Argon 0 are a bit of a jump in both price and sonic ability, but for a small pair of speakers you will struggle to find a more accomplished pair of standmounts within such a tiny foot print

For me, musically, the entire range is quite a hidden gem and although they look to command quite a price tag, pitched them against a similar priced pair of speakers and you will be astonished how they have managed to bring so much out of the cabinet sizes. They leave you wanting nothing more until you move up to the next size

peter the butcher

Budget? is an open ended thing, as f I replaced the fronts, I was thinking a in the range of £450/550 mark, but feared the AV amp would be not enough

peter the butcher

those look like an ideal speaker, and the budget can stretch that far, but would the Sony AV 1080 make them work as they should, or would I have to look at an upgrade on the amp front?

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Aye, £450/£550 will not get you a pair of Amphion speakers.

Although not that much smaller than your's you could look at the Tannoy Revolution XT Mini as an option. For another small speaker they have more ability that you might think. again, if you have the BK subwoofer and it has a high level input, use it for stereo. This will enable you to dial where the speaker runs out of poof and with careful setup, it should never sound boomy

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
those look like an ideal speaker, and the budget can stretch that far, but would the Sony AV 1080 make them work as they should, or would I have to look at an upgrade on the amp front?

Yeah, the Sony would never be good enough for your to fully appreciate what they have to offer. The Tannoy's will be a much better bet :)

peter the butcher

well I have looked at the Amphion website, and whilst admiring the nice photos of the speakers in a living room, SWMBO piped up saying "oooo, I like that" (think she said the picture on the wall,,,,,, so it looks like it will be those. Any suggestions on the AV amplification side? sorry for all the questions, but am a tad clueless these days, as have been out of the game for years now

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
For an amplifier, the speakers do deserve a good amp, As for AVR's just make sure its one that had enough power to make them sing. Budget wise, if your happy with a warehouse deal, you can grab a rear deal as we have the large Yamaha 3070 just under a grand in their plus the Marantz SR6013 which has just enough to bring life to them.

If you are looking to spend less, then I would look at using something from the Emotiva range as these are highly regarded for their abilities.

Remember to give us a call as we have many offers not even advertised due to us moving to a new location soon :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom