New surround speakers...

jotch

Novice Member
I've got a Pioneer DV-575A dvd player and a PS2, soon to be PS3 when it arrives on these shores and I've been looking for a speaker set for under £500...the Playstation has optical out as does the DVD player which also has analogue connections for each speaker up to 5.1 and a Coaxial. I believe the PS3 will support 7.1 but I'm not that bothered about going up to that for the time being.

Anyone suggest a good quality setup for the config I have? I was looking at the Aego T but that stretches my budget a little too much! Would it be worth stretching my budget?

jotch

Novice Member

mhuk05

Are you buying just for the PS3 or for home cinema as well?

Do the speakers have to be lifestyle speakers (as in your link)? From what I've seen, questions about those kind of speakers rarely get answers because few people here have them (this may be a gross generalization).

Is £500 for 5.1 (speakers and sub) and an amp?

jotch

Novice Member
Well, I'm buying for both a home cinema and I'd like to be able to hook up a playstation as well.....mainly for home cinema tho.

What do you mean by lifestyle speakers? That they look better than they sound? They don't have to look great...but I would prefer smaller speakers than large.

If the £500 wouldn't cover a decent 5.1 setup then maybe I could break it down into parts to break up the cost into smaller more manageable chunks. So amp, sub and sats are needed. Ideally I'd just like some pointers of what to steer clear of and which ideally i should aim for on my budget. I can't afford to spend the like of £1k on a speaker!

I currently have really cheap speakers connected directly to my dvd player for the mean time and my ps connected to my amp and speakers.

mhuk05

I may be wrong and they're great speakers...

Does it all have to be new or would you consider used?

For HC I would say a good sub will turn an OK system into a great one. Good subs at the lower end of the scale include the MS309, BK Gemini and BK XLS200, plus others (have a read through the subwoofer section, informative and entertaining).

If you're connecting dvd player and a games console to the amp (receiver) make sure it has enough connections e.g. optical. Older amps can still cut the mustard, such as the Denon 3803 and many others; they may not have all the features but sound quality will still be good.

Small speakers (sub sats)- Kef are supposed to good, the small Mordaunt Shorts (and the same page as the Pioneer speakers) had good reviews. And the Cantons in the power-buy have had good reviews and might fit the bill aesthetically as well. Monitor Audio also do a small speaker but probably over budget. And the SVS SB range is very good - they retail at £450 but there is occasionally a set in fleabay for £300.

Have a good browse through the speaker, subwoofer and av amplifier section and if possible have a listen at an av shop to few to give you an idea (sometimes easier said than done).

Hope that helps and hasn't confused you too much :)

tmcg

Novice Member
Speakers are a personal thing. Find a proper AV/HiFi dealer, audition various types within your budget then start negotiating - they really enjoy being told you can get them cheaper on the web! It is rare for "lifestyle" speakers to sound as good as similarily priced traditional boxes.
If money is no object, audition some Martin Logans...

jotch

Novice Member
Ok, well now I feel like a complete novice and really need to research some of this stuff first......I guess the best place to start would be the amp/receiver.

So I need a couple of optical in's (Playstation2&3 likes to use these) and the ability to take cd/dvd/stb/tuner(unless built in)/etc....so nothing special or out of the ordinary there. I have no preference to manufacturer...although my budget will restrict this...£200-300 for an adequate amp should do? I do only have a lounge and not a cinema so something that will last and see me through until I get a bigger wage!!

I'd happily get something second hand...does anyone have anything to offer?

mhuk05

Keep your eyes on the classifeds and there also some useful links here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248991

If you want to check the number of connections superfi.co.uk is useful as it has photos of the backs of the amps. Some of their kit is well priced, other stuff is full price.

Denon and Marantz do good amps at your price bracket, as do Pioneer and Yamaha (each have different characteristics). If you want an amp that's good with music look at the Arcams as well.

Good Luck ;)

These have 3 optical connections :

http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=10989
http://www.digitaldirect.co.uk/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=10749

check the specs to see if hidef is supported over component (if you need that).

jotch

Novice Member
I checked out those links you provided and the Pioneer would be close to what I'm after...after checking a few other posts in other areas I also took a look at the Denon 1907 and it seems to be liked. I like the fact that creative audio sell them in packs with everything I need to start, are they good deals with competitive prices??

I know I started off by saying £500 for a setup but that really limits everything....I feel like a kid in a candy store....so doubling it to £1000 would be more like it. At least then I wouldn't feel like I need to replace anything anytime soon! Fingers crossed for a christmas bonus :D

mhuk05

I'm doing the same for a hifi amp- set myself a budget of £500 and am now looking at stuff for £1k without a second thought... must be ill ;)

Anyway, take your time choosing kit that you'll be happy with and try to demo even if it's just to give you an idea of what's out there.

:smashin: