New superhub 2 not fit for purpose

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by Rambo, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Rambo

Rambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I recently upgraded from the poor Superhub 1 to the new much improved according to all the reviews Superhub 2. At first it was perfect and a vast improvement, however the past week it's gone downhill rapidly.

It started a week ago when on the 2.4ghz channel was dropping devices and we were unable to connect without re-booting the device, this was followed a few days later by the 5.0ghz also dropping devices.

Contacted Virgin did the usual re-boot, pin hole reset and also remote access by them and still the device would throw us off. Sometimes we get a full day without problems and sometimes its every 20 minutes. This is unacceptable so Virgin agreed and sent out another engineer to replace it.

The engineer arrived today and looked at the lights and said it wasn't right. He changed it and everything hooked up but again within an hour the same problem started to happen and the replacement Superhub 2 is now kicking off all devices connecting to the wifi.

Anyone else having problems? My iMac just says connection time out and the iPad and phones just say unable to connect.

Is anyone else having problems and know of a solution? Clearly this looks like another rushed out and not ready for use by the general public problem again. Is there a firmware update or am I just unlucky to have had 2 faulty hubs? It just seems strange that for the first few weeks its fine and all of a sudden it's total rubbish and worse than the superhub 1.

Help as I'm frustrated to be paying for equipment not fit for purpose.

2. Dark Fiber

Dark Fiber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My advice would be to buy an Apple router (good time to do it on eBay as the new generation have just been launched), and use the S'hub in modem mode. I know it is annoying but this course of action will give you less grief in the long run!

3. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,847
    I gotta agree - I never had a SuperHub; partly because I was only on 2mb then 10mb, before being upgraded in the speed up campaign to 20mb, so never "needed" one, and partly because of all the bad things I read about them, but I have had an Apple Time Capsule (which is just an Airport Extreme with a hard drive inside it) for a year or so now, and it's been faultless. So easy to set up, and it's served everything perfectly, with no signal drops on any device. Plus the USB port is brilliant at making ext HDD's and printers into network devices.

4. Rambo

Rambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I agree about the superhub 1 but everyone says the new superhub 2 is very good and it was for the first week.

Spoke to Virgin they to back to me half an hour later and said my power levels are slightly out. I did the install myself so I don't know if it needs slight adjustments from the superhub 1. They said that is upsetting the wifi causing it to kick all devices sometimes through the day. Does this make sense or is it total nonsense? Engineer coming in 2 days.

5. Zigourney

Zigourney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I had the superhub 1 and used it in modem mode because it would stop working every few days and required restarts. Two years later and now they upgraded me to a superhub 2 and that's a pile of **** too! Same problems as you, it drops all our wifi devices but the wired pc works fine, it did this after day 1 and does it every two days, after week of resets, decided to stick it back to modem mode and use it with my existing trusted router. The modem in the superhub 2 is much better, signal locks quicker, and is rock solid stable, I consistently get 62mbps and I'm on the 60mbps service. However the router functionality in in this is worse than the superhub 1!

6. Rambo

Rambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Strange. Phoned up Virgin on Monday with the same problem I did a reset. They came back to me within an hour saying they've found the problem. Apparently my power levels are off slightly for the new superhub (I did a self install) and if the levels are not quite right it will throw away the wifi. Wired is fine but it has much more tolerance than the wireless. Engineer will be here later today to adjust, however since that call and reboot its been rock solid and hasn't dropped once in 3 days. Weird.

7. Rambo

Rambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Engineer been and adjusted my power levels as they were indeed out slightly. So far over 24 hours have passed and we've not had a single drop out from the wifi. Been getting solid 123meg download and 11 upload so happy days

8. cylonwarrior

cylonwarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    They should be able to adjust the power levels from there end. Its strange how both your superhub 2 has had the same problem so the above guy is probably correct.

I only have good things to say about the hub 2 it has not dropped out for 2 months. I would change the wireless channel to 2 or something less populated as well. When I changed I was able to get WiFi all the way to my garden.

9. Rambo

Rambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Just an update. It's been working brilliantly now since the engineer last week. Speeds as advertised and not a single device has dropped out. It's been flawless. Happy days.

10. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,761
    You do realize what you just done right :D

11. Rambo

Rambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Back to square one its stopped working again. It's the biggest pile of junk I've seen. Sh1 much better.

12. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    I have the SH2, had it for a couple of months now to replace the abysmal SH1, my experience so far is spot on, no issues at all and the wifi is infinitely better, having 2.4 and 5 ghz at the same time is great and my speeds are perfect, the range on the wifi is so much better than the SH1 and I can use it in the garden and every room in the house, its a good sized 4 bed corner plot with a big garden and I can get coverage everywhere.

The only possible downside is that the 5ghz wifi doesn't reach quite as far as 2.4 but no biggie.

13. Rambo

Rambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I just don't understand it. The first one worked flawlessly until a week later. The replacement didn't work from the start but an engineer came and adjusted my power levels and it was fine for 2 weeks but now its kicking everyone again.

14. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    Time to ring them again , a little tip to avoid foreign call centres , take the option for cancellations , I had a problem with a sh1 and the lad sorted me out straight away with a sh2 which has been perfect so far , which of course now means it will die on me today :D

15. Rambo

Rambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Yeah I always call the retentions department just to speak to someone in the uk and they are helpful. Spoke to one of their wifi experts today. Cancelled the engineer for tomorrow as I doubt he can do anything. I suspect its a firmware issue more than a hardware problem. The guy went through issues with me and he seems to think it was one of the problems being addressed by the update, not many are having the problem but I do know a mate of mine is having the same issues. Apparently it is a security issue but will be addressed by the new firmware.

He recommended just sticking it into modem mode until the firmware is released and he will get back in touch and take it from there if the problem isn't resolved. It's just a random thing. It maybe fine for a few days before it goes belly up again. The one I has changed started behaving for a few days before the engineer swapped it. Time will tell I guess.

16. billkilv

billkilv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Same for me - drops the connection to both my Android devices (although shows as connected)

Maybe back to the SH1 for me

17. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    Me and my big mouth! So, mine has been dropping all over the place today on wifi, was fine until my net went down yesterday morning, it was back up by mid afternoon but since then the wifi has been a mess, I wonder if the rebooting forced a firmware update and this is why I'm having these probs now.

18. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,948
    A strange one - what colour should the light on the superhub 2 be with the arrows pointing up and down? I could've sworn it was green previously but tonight it's blue. Tried to do some online coop play on ps3 but with no joy. Rebooted a few times and it seems to work but that light is still blue. Any ideas?

19. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    All I have ever seen are blue lights on mine ....

20. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,948
    Oh! Thanks then, guess it's fine then.

21. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,948
    Virgin via twitter are saying if the traffic wan light is blue then no data is being transferred out. I guess this means I'd be unable to host parties for some video games like COD MW3?

22. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    And which of the 5 lights do they mean , all 5 on mine flash or are solid blue and everything is working as it should be :thumbup:

23. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,948
    Think their twitter person got mixed up. Spoke to tech support who confirmed what you're saying - blue lights all the way!

24. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    Getting fed up with my SH2 now, was absolutely fine for 2 months until last Monday when we had an area outage, since then it's dropping connections all over the place, wifi is unusable half of the time now, hard wired connection to the main pc seems stable although have noticed the odd drop out. Had an engineer out yesterday to adjust power levels which seems to be the norm but as expected its done bugger all, I told them its not an outside issue as I can stream a movie from pc to ipad and get 5 or 6 dropped connections so its bugger all to do with anything past the hub itself.

I rang them first thing today and another engineer is coming on Monday and I will insist they replace the hub this time.

25. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    Anyone with a SH2 can you tell me if your 5 GHz led flashes constantly , thanks :thumbup:

26. Rambo

Rambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    Yeah it's flashes if transmitting data so that is normal. I've put mine into modem mode and attached my wireless router and my connection is rock solid and I get 120meg over the wifi on the 5GHz. However I will not stop until this is sorted. Got an engineers own personal number and he told me to buzz him in a few days to see what info he has regarding the problem. Virgin think it maybe a firmware problem that is affecting a minority but is being addressed in an update that is due out within the next 2 weeks I think.

Fingers crossed as I like the idea of an all in one.

27. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    Had another engineer yesterday, he checked and confirmed the power levels are all spot on and replaced the SH2, an hour later and things start going pear shaped again, exactly the same issue with dropouts etc.

Looking at the VM support forums it seems lots have the issue, some are being told its the f/w and others are told its not, although one of their own mods on the forum has told me that they know its a f/w issue and have a rough date of the 30th for a new f/w fix so we'll see whats going on, another member has looked into it further and according to him the hub tries to download a new f/w and this is when the dropouts happen as it throws up an error when doing this and its causing the issue, it seems consitant with whats happening to me and others.

28. Rambo

Rambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +147
    I have heard the same thing as well. Apparently to trying to download say firmware for SH1 and it doesn't like it so it throws the wifi off. It a security type thing the guy on the phone was saying to me. He said looking at his small lists of faults that the symptoms did match up with one of the fixes coming with the new firmware update. Said to hold tight till then and that it should be rolled out by the end of the first week of September and if it doesn't fix it then he will investigate further.

29. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,094
    Is there a special phone number for retentions, if so anyone know what it is I found a number 0846 515 xxxx on the internet but it does not work.

Thanks

30. MoreBeer

MoreBeer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all.
    Firstly - I have the CEO teams direct phone number - when I find it I'll post it up.
    Ok, basically since we had Fibre Optic laid we had problems as the cable was knackered - that was 5 years ago, took a few hundred calls to V.M, dozens of techs and Principal techs.... then 1 team of Principal techs with a new gadget diagnosed several major problems and said a team would be out to do a repull and connect via the actual grid we were supposed to be on... anyways, that was done, internet is still crud - received the SuperDud 2 a few days ago, spent a good 7 hours on the phone trying to get it working - eventually it did (green traffic arrow turned blue) - the current issues are web pages do not load up, speedtests fail, wi-fi drops off - must have taken me 5-10mins to get this page to load... V.M have single handedly blamed every singe device we have - 3 x pc's (2 wired) 2 x Lappys plus all the tablets and phones we have........ Already tried it in Modem Mode - no change... Another thing I will say is when we received the 1st SuperDud we were told repeatedly that we were the only people in the UK to have any faults (being treated the same now...) when I looked online though everyone had the same problems.... Currently seeking legal advice over the £4,000+ we paid over the years on the faulty service - V.M only offered 1 x months free services....