New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe (Jan 11th 2019)

Bloody Star Coins. Lost about 10 lives on one stage trying to get the blasted things. Even got to the point where I’m questioning whether I’m any good at playing games! :rotfl:

Great fun though! Will definitely get my moneys worth out of it.
I've given up on the star coins now and I'm just playing through. Or trying to. Still finding it remarkably tough, too.

If we were in the days of the SNES and its forgiving controllers, I'd have launched it across the room by now. Not risking that with a pricey joy-con. :)

I like playing it with my 8bitdo controller goes well with this game like playing an pimped out snes not to mention it has a great cross pad:)
71FslKfTvLL._SL1500_.jpg

First of all I think this game is showing me that the ravages of time has raped me if my quick reflexes cause I am dying a lot.

Secondly been playing as Mario but keep getting the crown item in my Item box and can't use it. So I decide to play as Toadette to free up some slots and not feel very dirty as Toadette/Peachette actually seems like a great character to play with.

Kept dying in the same place on one of the secret-exit levels last night. Got so cross I hit Home and X to close.

Went back to it a few minutes later to discover that I was playing from a quick save, meaning I've got to go back to the start of the world and redo about six levels and the associated star coins.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The downside of rage quitting! It really is too easy, 3 button presses and it's over. At least you should remember now where the coins are hidden!

It’s without doubt the hardest Mario game I’ve played. Lost Levels was tough and unforgiving, but this is just plain hard in places.

Still fun, but my patience isn’t what it was!

What's the basic difference between a "quick" save and a "normal" save? (applies to quite a few games, I know).

I used to do constant quick saves in Fallout 4 and never quite grasped the point of doing a normal save.

TIA

The quick save in NSMBUD only allows you to use it once and a normal save which occurs after a mid or end world boss can be used as many times until your next save.

Essentially quick save is something you use of you need to save quickly or hey frustrated and had a enough for that session.

What's the basic difference between a "quick" save and a "normal" save? (applies to quite a few games, I know).

I used to do constant quick saves in Fallout 4 and never quite grasped the point of doing a normal save.

TIA

The quick save in NSMBUD only allows you to use it once and a normal save which occurs after a mid or end world boss can be used as many times until your next save.

Essentially quick save is something you use of you need to save quickly or hey frustrated and had a enough for that session.
Just don’t do what I do and load from a quick save, die repeatedly and then power off in anger, only to reload later and find all the levels done pre and post-quick save need doing again...

Almost two-and-a-half years after giving up on it, I’ve revisited this. And it’s still obscenely hard.

I’ve got all the way through to The Final Battle in Peach’s castle with all secret exits done and all star coins got up to and including Meringue Clouds, barring one in the last level there.

But I think I’m done. I’ve died countless times thanks to Bowser Jr, to the point where it’s not really fun and I can’t be bothered any more.

I was hoping to complete it before starting on Skyward Sword HD. Maybe I’ll go back to it in late 2023 instead.

I don’t remember the final boss fight to be particularly difficult?

I haven’t even got to the final boss! Stupid Bowser Jr diving at me.

I remember just standing directly below him (so out of reach of his arms), then
a) when he charges along the ground, jump on his head
b) when he shots his hands in the ground, run up his arms & jump on him.
You can also use fire flower to help you immobilise the mecha-koopas in your way.

Only need to hit him 3 times.

That sounds like the Boarding the Airship level, just before you get to Peach’s castle. I’ve done that, I’m talking about the first part of The Final Battle.

That sounds like the Boarding the Airship level, just before you get to Peach’s castle. I’ve done that, I’m talking about the first part of The Final Battle.
Ah you mean the ‘obstacle course’ bit where bowser Jnr chases you?
Using the racoon suit helps, as it gives you a bit more time in the air & can use the flight boost if you mistime a jump

Ah you mean the ‘obstacle course’ bit where bowser Jnr chases you?
Using the racoon suit helps, as it gives you a bit more time in the air & can use the flight boost if you mistime a jump
Yeah, that’s it. I need to go and catch Nabbit to get a P acorn, then I can just sail over the top.

Tried the Luigi version last night. Even harder! Might just go and get on with Skyward Sword. Life’s too short, and the sad truth is I’m nowhere near as good at games as I was 20-plus years ago!

Update: finally beat Bowser Jr and after umpteen attempts finally beat Bowser himself. Tried the first Superstar Road level and died almost instantly so out came the cart and in went Skyward Sword for later.

I'm counting beating Bowser as finishing the game, so I'm done!

I’m nowhere near as good at games as I was 20-plus years ago!
Are any of us?
We're playing it, but nowhere near a boss yet.
Apparently this game has been voted tops for 2-players.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom