New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)

vinvader

About time we had a thread for this game as it's due for release this Friday (17th August). The game will also be available for download on the eShop for a whopping £39.99 (though you'll get double the star points if downloaded).

Penélope Cruz and her sister Mónica Cruz star in a new campaign for New Super Mario Bros. 2...

Soundburst

In Memoriam
Picked this up in Asda on the way home.

I've no doubt it will be perfect platforming.

Can't wait to get this latest work signed off to get two days off from Sunday to lie and play it!!! :):):)

Nezben

Distinguished Member
Picked this up for my lad at 29.99 in Toys r us.

Game looks brill.

rbj

Just completed it, only took a few hours so quite annoyed at how short it was. Alright game though, very much the same as the first.

Nezben

Distinguished Member
rbj said:
Just completed it, only took a few hours so quite annoyed at how short it was. Alright game though, very much the same as the first.
Was that 100% it though? All secret exits and a million coins?

Nezben

Distinguished Member
Ok cool. Hopefully should add alot of gameplay for all secrets.

Soundburst

In Memoriam
Does anyone know how to unlock the pipes in world 3? :S in the middle of the map there is a level dot with pipes but I can't find any way to get to it :(

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Sold mine, well my kid has, to one of his classmates.

Sat through it last night, finished it in a few hours, don't care for extras, don't care for coin collecting, it's not a patch on what has gone before, to me, it's mario by numbers, totally forgettable, just another average game churned out by Nintendo.
In fact, going back, the last memorable Mario game for me was Mario 64, These recent ones, I can't say there is anything in them that I could say, oh yeah, remember "x" level.

Nezben

Distinguished Member
For me, it has to be Mario Galaxy for the Wii.

Im still yet to play this 3ds game though so i reserve judgement until i do.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Super Mario world, Mario 64 and Galaxy 1&2 are my personal favourites. The galaxy games are fantastic, i played through most of galaxy 2 late last year and loved every minute of it. I dont fancy this game at all though. I will get it but only when i can get it for around £15

splinters69

Distinguished Member
Got a copy arriving tomorrow. Has some gold coin with it as well.
Is it as good as the first NSMB? I dont mind if it is essentially the same game with a bit of 3D as I was going to get the original anyway (just got another 3DS) and would rather play an 'updated' version. Is it as long as the last one?
I am having another Mario phase at the moment so looking at getting mario 64 ds and Mario Land as well.

gwyper

I think it's cracking.

I've liked them all, including Sunshine which although it's different is a cracking game.

The million coins thing is a bit strange, but I will complete it.

I find the star coin challenges in NSMB games much more exciting than they were in SML3D.

Last edited:

gwyper

Really enjoying this. I don't see why people wouldn't like this at all.

I've just completed worlds 1 to 4 and the first secret world. I have all the secret coins with the exception of a few in world 4 that I'm still trying for.

Fantastic game.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
I don't see why people wouldn't like this at all.
Suppose you could say it adds nothing to the mix, same poop slightly different smell.
The mario games are lacklustre now, and theres nothing new or amazing, unlike previous games in the series.

All in all, just another cash cow for the big N, IMO.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Suppose you could say it adds nothing to the mix, same poop slightly different smell.
The mario games are lacklustre now, and theres nothing new or amazing, unlike previous games in the series.

All in all, just another cash cow for the big N, IMO.
I feel the same way. Mario platformers used to be amongst my favourite games but I haven't played a decent one since Galaxy 2. I thought Mario 3D was very dull and I found it boring to play. Ive not played this yet so can't comment but it doesnt excite me enough to pay £25+ for it.

Same applies to mariokart really. Don't get me wrong I think the 3DS version is great but unlike the other versions I just don't have the urge to play it regularly.

I think I'm just going through a transitional period with my gaming. Genres that used to interest me ( fps, fighters,)don't anymore and vice versa.

splinters69

Distinguished Member
Big disappointment for me. So far its almost identical to the first game with 3d effects. Thats nice but you can pick up the first game for a tenner.
Seriously, block level, bouncy mushroom, underwater, castle. Repeat and rinse.
I had to take the cartridge out and check I hadnt got the first game...;)
May see it through just for nostalgia but I really expected something better.

The bosses arent very hard either.

ursine benn

splinters69 said:
Big disappointment for me. So far its almost identical to the first game with 3d effects. Thats nice but you can pick up the first game for a tenner.
Seriously, block level, bouncy mushroom, underwater, castle. Repeat and rinse.
I had to take the cartridge out and check I hadnt got the first game...;)
May see it through just for nostalgia but I really expected something better.

The bosses arent very hard either.
I was apprehensive about it at full price, think I may wait a bit. Thing is super mario 3d land was so good it will take quite a bit to top it.

ursine benn

gwyper said:
I think it's cracking.

I've liked them all, including Sunshine which although it's different is a cracking game.

The million coins thing is a bit strange, but I will complete it.

I find the star coin challenges in NSMB games much more exciting than they were in SML3D.
I loved sunshine, different but so awesome.