New Subwoofer Recommendations to replace Tannoy sub

alcabs

I am currently in the process of upgrading my 5.1 home cinema, progressively changing out all my old gear for new. I have recently upgraded my AV Amp to a NAD T778 to run with my existing old Tannoy Arena 500 floorstanders (to be replaced further down the line).

Well, last week the Arena 500 subwoofer died on me and I am looking for a suitable replacement that will be a good match for my remaining Tannoys and can be retained and used with their future replacements.
Having a look at what is available I am probably considering something from SVS, REL or Arendal. I listen to a lot of music, both stereo and surround so the sub has to be be suitable for both types of listening. Budget would be £500 - £1000 but would prefer to stick to the middle to lower end of that if possible.

Could some of you subwoofer enthusiasts please offer your opinions / recommendations?

Thanks,

Al.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You had a 12" sealed model before. So the options would be either sealed models like:

SVS SB2000 Pro

Arendal 1961 1S

REL HT1205 or T9i (the latter would be more toward music rig)

Or you could try some ported models which you can also run as sealed by using the port bungs, this would be mainly for music listening. Naturally these models have larger volume cabinet and will be stronger in the 18-36hz region, meaning you would need multiple sealed variants to match the output of one ported model in that deep bass region. There is different feel usually with more tactile sensation and rumble. So if you are looking that earthquake feel for latest blockbuster flicks then perhaps ported model could be way to go, however sealed route might be safer with music listening in mind if it`s more important, if you have smaller room and/or you want more compact box. Best models close to 1k£:

SVS PB2000 Pro and cylinder PC variant which won´t take much floorspace and is light to move!

Arendal 1961 1V

Monoprice Monolith 12 THX (best value and performance!)

Perhaps dual subwoofer route would be possible. The advantages when placed optimally are quite clear!

In that case you could consider couple cheaper models to stick within budget with two woofers.

For SVS products there is ~10% discount possible from few forum advertisers. For Arendal there is some small extra fees coming due to Brexit. 2-3%??

alcabs

Hi Gasp,

Thanks for a very comprehensive reply to my query 👍. Much appreciated.

I was not aware of the Monoprice subs so will look into those. I think front runners for me would be the SVS or Arendal sealed units. They all seem to get rave reviews. REL looks promising too but they do not go so low (this it to retain suitability for music I guess) but I would like something that can get to just below 20Hz and be musical if such a thing exists and the Arendal spec and reviews suggest it can do this.

The only thing that puts me a little bit off the Arendal is the lack of UK dealers with purchase direct from Norway. I have visions of the sub getting stuck for weeks in Customs and then getting a nasty shock on the mport charge to release it!

Has anybody on the Forum purchased anything from Arendal since Brexit and if so what was the outcome on delivery and import tax?

Cheers,

Al.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi Gasp,

Thanks for a very comprehensive reply to my query 👍. Much appreciated.

I was not aware of the Monoprice subs so will look into those. I think front runners for me would be the SVS or Arendal sealed units. They all seem to get rave reviews. REL looks promising too but they do not go so low (this it to retain suitability for music I guess) but I would like something that can get to just below 20Hz and be musical if such a thing exists and the Arendal spec and reviews suggest it can do this.

The only thing that puts me a little bit off the Arendal is the lack of UK dealers with purchase direct from Norway. I have visions of the sub getting stuck for weeks in Customs and then getting a nasty shock on the mport charge to release it!

Has anybody on the Forum purchased anything from Arendal since Brexit and if so what was the outcome on delivery and import tax?

Cheers,

Al.

Ask here has anyone bought sub after Brexit and what were the costs. It has been spoken either in this sub or Arendal speaker thread.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom