• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Subwoofer hums

RoVic

Standard Member
Bought a new active Subwoofer that hums when i plug the XLR cable in, even if the other end (RCA) is left out of the amps line out.
I was told by the seller (Shop) its because the woofer should be with a mixer?
I've been using my other Sub with the same Amp with no problems. i can't see how the amp can be at fault when the sub still hums even if not attached to the amp ..... any ideas please ?? :confused:

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Do you have a plug/cable that doesnt have the earth connected, chances are its a ground loop, which if so can sometimes be fixed with the above or with a mains conditioner. Something electrical plugged in may also be causing it, like a fridge etc, so you could turn things like those of one by one and see if the humming stops at any point. Again the fix for such things is as above, or if the plate amp on the sub has a ground terminal, you might want to connect it up.

RoVic

Standard Member
Do you have a plug/cable that doesnt have the earth connected, chances are its a ground loop, which if so can sometimes be fixed with the above or with a mains conditioner. Something electrical plugged in may also be causing it, like a fridge etc, so you could turn things like those of one by one and see if the humming stops at any point. Again the fix for such things is as above, or if the plate amp on the sub has a ground terminal, you might want to connect it up.

i have found out that if i unplug the XLR Cable from the Sub the hum stops, plugging it in with nothing attached to the RCA end make the sub Hum?? now I'm wandering if i have a faulty Cable ??

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
i have found out that if i unplug the XLR Cable from the Sub the hum stops, plugging it in with nothing attached to the RCA end make the sub Hum?? now I'm wandering if i have a faulty Cable ??

Possible, but unlikely. You could try buying an XLR to phono adapter and using an ordinary phono cable to see if that makes a difference. An adapter would cost like £2 or something, so its a cheap test.

hoppaz

Prominent Member
Possible, but unlikely. You could try buying an XLR to phono adapter and using an ordinary phono cable to see if that makes a difference. An adapter would cost like £2 or something, so its a cheap test.

Dont buy the adapter that is what I had it only worked using an all in one rca to phono pro cable.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Chances are the cable is linking the screen to the cold signal pin. This will be the cause of the hum.

If this is a PA type sub, it will prefer a balanced line. You can get convertors for not a lot of money - £30 or so.

hoppaz

Prominent Member
Ive used the adapters before with no issues at all.

Yes they may work in your case but they didnt in my case. For 9 quid the 10m pro rca to xlr lead I bought worked without any hum. The xlr to rca adapters share one of the connections with the earth which may make a grounding plane. Likewise the rca cable may pickup interference on the way and then ground itself.

Edit: what noiseboy said above except I have passive subs and an off board pro amp.

Last edited:

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Yes they may work in your case but they didnt in my case. For 9 quid the 10m pro rca to xlr lead I bought worked without any hum. The xlr to rca adapters share one of the connections with the earth which may make a grounding plane. Likewise the rca cable may pickup interference on the way and then gtound itself.
Isnt the OP already using a dedicated XLR to phono cable though, I thought he was.

hoppaz

Prominent Member
Isnt the OP already using a dedicated XLR to phono cable though, I thought he was.

He will have to confirm I read it as xlr and then rca at least we can move this toward a possible solution

RoVic

Standard Member
He will have to confirm I read it as xlr and then rca at least we can move this toward a possible solution

Thanks for all the advice / help ...... I've now sorted the problem it was a dodgy Cable got it replaced now the sub is sounding great !! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom