1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New subwoofer for under £500?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by ZeroEX, Oct 27, 2004.

1. ZeroEX

ZeroEX
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone

I'm after a new sub to replace my virtually never used Servo 15. Why is it never used? Well its not because its bad its just that I'm at Derby Uni and the flats here have walls like paper, there is just no chance of me ever using it here and even at home it never really had much use then. Too much bass can be a bad thing so I'm really looking to replace it with a smaller, prettier and less brutish subwoofer.

I must admit that I've been out of audio for a year or more now but I've just stated to get the bug again, however that doesn't mean I have a clue about the current market for <£500 subs or indeed which ones are even decent, I did recently start buying a few magazines such as home cinema choice and what hifi to help me get a feel for the current models.

After all this I've narrowed my potential candidates to the Rel Stampede, Morduant Short 909 or possibly looking for a second hand Rel Storm or similar on ebay. Before I spend my £500 is my knowledge so lacking that I'm missing a very good sub that I haven't listed. Please also bear in mind that I'm not after a huge powerful subwoofer, just one that will fill in the bottom notes of my mission bookshelf speakers.

Thanks all

2. ZeroEX

ZeroEX
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A thought also just occured to me:

Could a very good set of headphones be a substitude for a good subwoofer?

I obviously realise that the headphones won't shake the room with bass you'd probably be lucky if you could feel it on the side of your ear. But this isn't what I'm getting at, I really just want to know if the level or quality is the same or better and just how low can one reasonably expect a pair of phone's to go?

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I would say the Mordaunt Short MS909 would suit you. It is not brash or aggressive like some subs, and it should integrate well as it doesn't impose its sound over the rest of the soundstage. It is very delicate in the way it delivers. Should be able to get one for under £500 if you haggle, the rrp is dead on £500.

The other option is the smaller but fantastically performing BK XLS200, it is small, so easy to transport, (although relatively heavy for its size), very well built and punches well above its weight.

Have a read of the Budget Sub test, which has a sticky at the top of this forum, any of the subs mentioned in there would do you well.

If you want pretty, you couldn't go far wrong with the KEF PSW2500. If you increase your budget a bit, the new Quad L Series subwoofer might be within your grasp if you haggle with the dealer long enough, it's rrp is £700, but I'm fairly sure you could haggle to get it for about £600.

As for headphones, I have a pair of Bose QuietComfort2 headphones, Bang & Olufsen A8 earphones and a pair of Sennheiser HD25s (I think that is the model number). The Bose are the best performing of the three, but they are pricey in the UK, £275 :eek:, I bought mine from the States for £160. Headphones sound great, and are probably a match for music, although I doubt you could go as low down as a dedicated sub and speaker setup.

I would have suggested the SVS PB10, but since you are dismissing the Servo 15, I'm thinking the PB10 may be a similar sound, although I could be wrong as I have not heard either. The PB10 also has a long waiting list right now.

4. ZeroEX

ZeroEX
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great advice Kazman, thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I was actually leaning towards the Morduant Short 909 but can you tell me more about this BK xls200? Never actually heard of the BK brand.

I don't seem to able to find the budget sub test thread that you mentioned also, would you be so kind as to post a link if possible please.

I also had a feeling that headphones wouldn't be a substitute for a decent sub and speaker combo. But the reason I mentioned it was the fact that I'm limited as to how loud I can play music and soundtrack because of my current living situation - university flat complex.

5. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The budget sub test thread is at the top as a sticky!

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi ZeroEX, the link to the budget sub test is: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137930

Personally, I wouldn't use headphones as a replacement for a proper speaker setup, more to compliment them in the later hours of an evening, or nearer to study time :) in your case.

The 909 is forward firing as well, so shouldn't disturb as much as a downward firing sub.

The BK sub is highly regarded on these forums, and you should be able to read all about it in the above link, or a quick search of the subwoofer forum should throw up a few enthusiastic postings :D

One guy you could speak to is eviljohn2, he has one, and was one of the participants in the budget sub test mentioned earlier.

7. ZeroEX

ZeroEX
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again thanks Kazman.

The BK does look really good for a £280 sub. I did manage to find the webpage for BK using google so if anyone else is interested in this model here is the link:

www.bkelec.com

Also interesting is the Ruark Vita 100 sub which they have discounted to £200 from £550, anyone have experience with this model?

Personally I prefer the look of the light oak xls200. In fact I'm pretty sure my mind is made up. It appeared that the BK was the best out of all the subs in the test and its smaller than the 909 which is a big bonus to me whilst also playing just as deep if not a little deeper.

I'll let you all know how I get on with this and hopefully I will be very pleased. Also I've saved myself £220 over the cost of the 909.

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The BK is a cracker of a sub, you won't be dissappointed :)

9. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The 909 probably has the potential to go deeper but in a normal sized room at moderate listening volumes (like I have at Bath Uni ;) ) then you'll be plenty happy with the BK, plus it's tiny for a sub. From what I've heard of the Servo 15, however, you'll be taking a step down in performance whatever you choose.

I think the main outcome of the Budget Sub test was that at "normal" listening volumesin a "normal" room and with neighbours then the smaller subs can actually perform as well as the curtailed larger ones. :)

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    Some of the tests we've done on 909's since the aforementioned test have shown in larger rooms with correspondingly higher level mean that it goes on quite a bit lower but is still subject to a sharp roll off at the bottom. I can't say that I'm losing any sleep over it in my living room though.