Question New subwoofer advice please?

Guevara321

Novice Member
Hi there,

Looking for advice on a new subwoofer please.

Budget: £200 for second hand but could stretch a bit for a bargain.
Room size: 4.5m x 3.5m
Matching with Elac BS184's and Elac CC181 and running off a Marantz NR1504 with Arcam Delta 290 intergrated amp.

Just to compare I had the Elac 111.2 sub as part of 5.1 set up with another pair of 184's as rear but sold them and the sub as my flat is pretty small.
But just got new 4K tv and blu-ray player so would like another sub to beef things up a bit.

I found the Elac sub ok but not as sofa shaking as an old Paradigm PDR-10 I had previously.

This will mostly be for movies as I prefer to listen to most music in stereo.

Looking around I really like the look of the Q-acoustics 3060s but mostly as it would go really well with my furniture haha user reviews are good but not the expert ones.

BK Gemini ii seems rated but maybe not so much for movies.

Thanks in advance

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
KLH Windsor 12 if you can stretch to 270£. Nothing better for that kind of price in UK (new) with no risk of amp damage like you have with used stuff and this reportedly shakes couch as one member bought it to friend or brother. It`s now on sale for half price as being discontinued in US. 2year amp warranty, 5year for driver.

This was reviewed part of KLH speaker package:

Steer away from QA subs. BK Gemini II rather then although it might be bit too polite being small sealed. If you crave more rumble and impact generally then the KLH with larger vented cab and 12" driver is going to move some air!

They do have 10" model too, but seriously the price difference is so small and you would get buyers remorse month forward.

DaddyR

Standard Member
Hi there,

Looking for advice on a new subwoofer please.

Budget: £200 for second hand but could stretch a bit for a bargain.
Room size: 4.5m x 3.5m
Matching with Elac BS184's and Elac CC181 and running off a Marantz NR1504 with Arcam Delta 290 intergrated amp.

Just to compare I had the Elac 111.2 sub as part of 5.1 set up with another pair of 184's as rear but sold them and the sub as my flat is pretty small.
But just got new 4K tv and blu-ray player so would like another sub to beef things up a bit.

I found the Elac sub ok but not as sofa shaking as an old Paradigm PDR-10 I had previously.

This will mostly be for movies as I prefer to listen to most music in stereo.

Looking around I really like the look of the Q-acoustics 3060s but mostly as it would go really well with my furniture haha user reviews are good but not the expert ones.

BK Gemini ii seems rated but maybe not so much for movies.

Thanks in advance
I got a BK Gemini 2 from eBay for £160 including delivery. I'm really pleased with it, it smokes my very old (and now dead) Eltax sub. It's used 98% of the time for movies and TV.

Guevara321

Novice Member
KLH Windsor 12 if you can stretch to 270£. Nothing better for that kind of price in UK (new) with no risk of amp damage like you have with used stuff and this reportedly shakes couch as one member bought it to friend or brother. It`s now on sale for half price as being discontinued in US. 2year amp warranty, 5year for driver.

This was reviewed part of KLH speaker package:

Steer away from QA subs. BK Gemini II rather then although it might be bit too polite being small sealed. If you crave more rumble and impact generally then the KLH with larger vented cab and 12" driver is going to move some air!

They do have 10" model too, but seriously the price difference is so small and you would get buyers remorse month forward.
Thanks,

Yeah I had a look at the KLH but size, placement and colour plus some reviews I found put me off.

Guevara321

Novice Member
I got a BK Gemini 2 from eBay for £160 including delivery. I'm really pleased with it, it smokes my very old (and now dead) Eltax sub. It's used 98% of the time for movies and TV.
Thanks,

Yeah at the moment the Gemini seems the way I'm going. I emailed them this morning.
£160 is a steal, well done. How long ago was that?

DaddyR

Standard Member
Thanks,

Yeah at the moment the Gemini seems the way I'm going. I emailed them this morning.
£160 is a steal, well done. How long ago was that?
Mid December from a private seller. I think BK have a discount store on eBay for returns, as well as a brand new store. I can't find it on eBay now but search on here as I'm sure it's been mentioned.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks,

Yeah I had a look at the KLH but size, placement and colour plus some reviews I found put me off.

Well it would easily best Gemini II for movies, but if too large and ugly then it`s out.

I had Gem II in i think 3 different flats when i was moving around more often younger. It´s bit polite i must say and no suprise it`s more prefered on music rigs. Especially if you come from the rumbling ported subs it could be little underwhelming. But it does sound better than some cheap woofers for sure and does that while looking great! Clearly there is not many options if it needs to be cheap and small. XLS200 comes mind, but there is no used ones available atm.

@DaddyR they don´t sell those grade-b subs anymore. :( So it´s back to buying new ones or used, but with risks if not under warranty. BK amps have had some humm/buzzing issues. My Gem II worked great without issues for 4years time owning it.

Guevara321

Novice Member
Yeah I had a look on ebay and it seems it's all new BK subs. Regarding the KLH, it would have to be hidden away behind couch say's the Missus 🙄 so.... Also I found some US reviews on it from years back and it was a mixed bag and they were picking them up then for $100.

I would like to maybe step up from Gemini ii to their bigger subs but finances are an issue. As I said I emailed BK this morning but still waiting to hear back. I will keep searching second hand but not having a warranty kind of puts me off that route for the money I would be spending.

Guevara321

Novice Member
Just to say thank you both for your advice. I took the plunge and ordered the Gemini ii in mahogany. I just couldn't see anything brand new and as well regarded for that price. Plus I stay top flat in a tenement and have good neighbours that I don't want to fall out with 🤣.

Looking forward to hearing it.

Thanks again for your advice

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom