New subscriber - Sky+ 160 / installation questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by MikeWS, Oct 13, 2004.

1. MikeWS

MikeWS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I am about to move house and will be getting Sky+ (previously a TiVo plus Telewest kind of guy). The house is all wired up with twin feeds to the relevant rooms so I should be all set.

I have two questions:

1. Is it worth the extra dosh to get the Sky+ 160 box or would I be better off going with the cheaper deal on the 40Gb box and then upgrading later? Does anyone know if a new box (with, say, High Definition output) is in the pipeline within the next year or so because I'd definitely hold off if that was the case.

2. The dish will be going on the roof of a 5 story house (so above the 9.1m limit the installers seems to respect). Does this mean that I'm going to have to pay more for installation (and/or wait longer)? I'm not moving in until late November (when the refurbishment is finished) but might order now if the extra height is going to mean a delay in installation.

Very grateful for any thoughts on these topcis and looking forward to being able to join in the discussion on Sky+ once it's all up and running.

Thanks,

Mike.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I personally don't think the SKY+ 160 is worth the money especially considering the price of the 40gig unit and a HD upgrade added on, USB's might become very useful but it's a premium for a perhaps.
    SKY should have the spec of the High Def unit confirmed pretty soon and then onto the manufacturers (Probably Thompson) to put it all together. So there will be a High Def unit probably with integrated hard drive recording on sale before the 2006 launch of the service. There is a good chance SKY will launch early so it may be worth waiting BUT there is not guarantee the HD box will work with the SD channel packages, it may not be an all in one solution.
    2. SKY may indeed not consider that as a "standard" install and charge you extra. It may be worthwhile talking to a local authorised SKY installer, it may cost more but you can get all your needs sorted before a couple of guys turn up and then get into discussions on what is possible and how much it may cost.

3. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From the Sky+ HD upgrade thread, it looks like the 17 min issue etc. have largely been solved. Is there anywhere a definitive guide to how to upgrade a standard Sky+ box? I wonder if there'll be a software update once the 160+ comes out that will bugger up any upgraded boxes...

4. MikeWS

MikeWS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Starburst.

Does anyone have any idea of how much it should (!) cost to get a Sky Dish with Quad LNB installed on the roof (the cables are already run up there)? As I mentioned before, it's a five story building but there's a roof terrace with easy access to the roof.

Do you have to pay for the gear (dish etc) if it's done outside on the normal deal offered on the Sky website?

I'm in London (Hampstead) and any suggestions for a decent approved installer also gratefully received.

Thanks,

Mike.

5. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    If you pay for the dish and LNB and access is easy then the whole thing would be about £100+VAT (including the dish/LNB and mounting bracket), if the cables are already there it shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to do.....

6. MikeWS

MikeWS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Graham.

Would you suggest buying the gear myself and getting it installed privately or should I take advantage of the "free" minidish etc on the sky website and pay extra for the "non standard install"?

Kind regards,

Mike.

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    A SKY installer would pay a lot less for the kit than you could buy it for....... A non standard install only really applies if the chaps step ladder doesn't go high enough.....as you have already run the cables I can't see it being a "special install" really......

8. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    The cost of a standard Sky 'mini dish' and quad LNB should be around £80. It's highly unlikely that you'll get the whole job done for "£100 + VAT", especially in Hampstead :D

A. Dork

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Not to a SKY installer its not.......:) Its heavely subsidised to get the user base up......Although I'm not sure what the current rate is a SKY installer used to get £17 per install......

10. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Does anyone know if Sky are offering a trade-up incentive for Sky+ customers who wish to move up to the 160?

11. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Graham, perhaps you could tell me how much it would cost a Sky installer?

A. Dork

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Arthur.
    The minidish is £17 (includes a single LNB!), the quad LNB is £45. That is standard trade cost, sky installers probably get them even cheaper than that due to the numbers involved....

13. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky have a 'special' unit to install on very tall buildings. It may take longer to get the install mind you.

I would recommend you go through sky. Sky refused to do my install when I moved house for different reasons and contractors charged me a bloody fortune. You also get the dish and quad LNB for free (sort of) with sky. Contractors will charge you.

As for the question is the 160+ worth it, short answer no.

buy a V2 on a special offer for £99 with install. Then upgrade yourself. 120Gb will cost you around £50. 250Gb will cost you just under £100.

Upgrading the HDD is a complete piece of ****; I have never taken the back off a PC and even I had no problems. The hummer site offers some useful advice.

14. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    And you work for the BBC? Where did you get these prices from?

Let's say you're right, (which you're not, by the way), that makes a dish & quad LNB around £55 (inc VAT?). Allowing for a bit of profit, I think £80 to a customer is fair, don't you? I'm sure guys in the trade will love you for your 'information'.

Let me assure you - 'Sky installers' pay 'trade' prices. Trade price is the trade price to the trade. :laugh: They don't get any further discounts. Sky employed 'engineers' :laugh: have no idea of the cost of anything. They're given it to fit by their employers. Or do they sell it off the back of the van? I don't think so.

Back to the question asked by Mike - the Sky+ deal for £99 fitted (if you can get it) is superb. If I tell you the 'trade' cost of a Sky+ system is £ :censored: inc VAT that gives you some idea how superb. :) You didn't hear that, right! :)

A. Dork

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Arthur.
    You asked what they cost so I told you, I am not in the habit of making things up, if you pay more that isn't my fault.....I simply answered a question and don't really like being told I'm wrong when I am not.....(the cost is +VAT by the way). A £99 install is a good deal like everyone else says...... Oh and I also know the true cost of a SKY+ box so agree £99 "all in" is a good deal ;) The box is only a little bit more though on its own as you obviously know..... For the record sky installers have to do a lot of installs to make a living as the rates are not generous, I wouldn't do it for what they get paid......

Getting back to the plot, if the chap has easy access to the wall the dish needs bolting on and the sky installer doesn't have to climb a bigger ladder than normal then the cost should be the standard one? Especially as the cables are already run?

16. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Sorry, Mike!

Graham - who said I paid more than that? :) Not me! :laugh:

I must admit I'm curious how a BBC employee knows the trade price of Sky dishes and LNB's. You're not moonlighting for the competition are you? :rotfl:

A. Dork

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Arthur.

Guess who does the sky installs at our place then ;) ASA status doesn't even begin to describe what we can get up to.......After all you can't really see us getting a sky installer in to our place can you when the place is full of highly qualified engineers....Some of our ex blokes train the buggers.......(I'm not saying they listen though....). It's a sad fact of life that analogue or freeview can't provide everything that the departments want on the desktop/ringmain......

Anyway has Mike got anywhere with getting his install done for the bargain rate of £99 assuming the installer doesn't have to be helicoptered in to bolt the dish up?

Where do you work mate?

18. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Sorry again Mike - I hate threads being hijacked too. :thumbsup:
    I was trying to be helpful, just pointing out how unlikely it was that you'd get the job done for £100+VAT especially in Hampstead. I didn't start this. :rolleyes:

At least Graham's given us all an idea where our licence fee is going - they're all watching Sky! :D

Where do I work? - don't like to talk about it mate. :D Let's rock! :smashin:

A. Dork

19. MikeWS

MikeWS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No trouble with hijacking the thread! :smoke:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to go for the £99 Sky+ deal from Sky. I'm not sure, though, whether I should be honest about the 9.1m thing or just stay quiet because in reality it is SUCH an easy install. What do you think; take pot luck on the installer being a decent bloke (or girl :confused: )?

Mike.