Question New sub

Davekale86

So next week I’m getting a bonus from work and have around £300 to spend was going to get the Q Acoustics 2070si as recommended by @password1 but now seems to be discontinued was looking at the KLH Windsor 12 and can be had for £265 anyone got one of these as there doesn’t seem to be much reviews for it TIA

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Haven't heard the Windsor but if you can put another couple hundred together I'm sure the SVS SB1000 would be a nice upgrade over all the ones mentioned. Might even save you some money in the long term.

password1

Looks like you've just missed the opportunity as they were available last month on both Amazon and on Q Acoustics own website. There are 4 finishes advertised on QAs website, 3 finishes state discontinued and 1 finish states its out of stock so it looks like they've sold out.

Perhaps consider the Bk gemini 2?

Davekale86

Looks like you've just missed the opportunity as they were available last month on both Amazon and on Q Acoustics own website. There are 4 finishes advertised on QAs website, 3 finishes state discontinued and 1 finish states its out of stock so it looks like they've sold out.

Perhaps consider the Bk gemini 2?
Already got that haha might have to hunt a 2070si down haha what’s the 3070 like? Have you had it ?

password1

Dont get the 3070. it has common amp issues, its not as well built, less features, doesn't sound the same. It looks similar but its a slightly different size and the 2070 actually weighs a little heavier. Build quality on the older 2070 is better.

I bought one thinking it would be an upgrade to the 2070, because the 3070 came out later, I sold it (lost a lot of money as the 3070 were originally £299) and went back to my 2070 which im still using this day with no problems, no faults.

You could try phoning around dealers in case they have any old stock that isn't advertised or contact QA to see it its out of stock or discontued in certain finishes only.

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So next week I’m getting a bonus from work and have around £300 to spend was going to get the Q Acoustics 2070si as recommended by @password1 but now seems to be discontinued was looking at the KLH Windsor 12 and can be had for £265 anyone got one of these as there doesn’t seem to be much reviews for it TIA

Best would be the sealed BK P12-300SB for small room at 399£ or BK XLS200 at 354£. The KLH should be decent choice just look the thousand owner reviews for Klipsch R-120SW at Amazon (4.8/5 - 2039 ratings). The KLH has better cabinet similar to Klipsch more expensive range (much heavier and better sloth port design), but otherwise looks identical (driver, amp). This model also used to cost 600£, due to it being discontinued it´s available for low price. Performance wise it will outperform the QA models due to physics (larger cab and driver). Only question mark is how it´s going to sound in tiny room of yours. If you looking rumble and impact then there is nothing better for that price. I asked sister forum Mark H. who reviewed it part of 7.2.4 KLH system, he said it did the job as he thought product for that price would. The amount of bass he got from dual W12s was enough for him, clearly the deeper bass was missing but for that you need much more expensive product anyway. The Windsor 12 used to cost more in US also than what you get it from UK.

Amazon product

Davekale86

Thanks for the replies I’ll be having a better look around this weekend I actually contacted American Audio in January with the intention of getting the KLH and was given a discount I’ll message them again and see if I can get one haha as for the Q Acoustic if I can find it then I’ll probably get that,KLH looks a beast dunno how it will sound though haha

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies I’ll be having a better look around this weekend I actually contacted American Audio in January with the intention of getting the KLH and was given a discount I’ll message them again and see if I can get one haha as for the Q Acoustic if I can find it then I’ll probably get that,KLH looks a beast dunno how it will sound though haha

Can you buy this REL below, he drops the price?! It would be quite good option for such tiny room, cause large box is so tricky to place optimally if you have lot of stuff there etc. Also i would imagine sealed sub might sound bit better without bloat (room gain & no eq for sub). The REL has went 399£ on sale so what you want to offer him. I think it has 1year amp warranty still.

Davekale86

Can you buy this REL below, he drops the price?! It would be quite good option for such tiny room, cause large box is so tricky to place optimally if you have lot of stuff there etc. Also i would imagine sealed sub might sound bit better without bloat (room gain & no eq for sub). The REL has went 399£ on sale so what you want to offer him. I think it has 1year amp warranty still.

I could but my problem is it is 2 year old and if it breaks will probably cost me more the fix it I’m a bit funny when it comes to second hand stuff bought a sub ages ago second hand and it only lasted a week would rather buy new to be honest thanks anyway

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I could but my problem is it is 2 year old and if it breaks will probably cost me more the fix it I’m a bit funny when it comes to second hand stuff bought a sub ages ago second hand and it only lasted a week would rather buy new to be honest thanks anyway
It has 3year amp warranty so 1year left and it should be transferable to new owner, at least other brands offer that. But i hear you, it´s risky but sometimes you need to take risks if you want something good. REL is dedicated subwoofer manufacturer and has good support/service. No one has reported any amp failures yet with this HT range here at AVF. 🤔

password1

All three are within budget if you want new with warranty:

Monoprice.co.uk has an 8 inch sub for £135.99 brand new but quoted frequency response at unknown db isn't great.

Davekale86

All three are within budget if you want new with warranty:

Monoprice.co.uk has an 8 inch sub for £135.99 brand new but quoted frequency response at unknown db isn't great.
Will have a look at the Tannoy

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You are probably repairing these cheap speaker manufacturer woofers in to warranty sooner than with REL.. There is reasons why most people recommend the manufacturers specialized in woofers. Go cheap, buy twice. Save up and buy better once, enjoy longer.. Up to you.

password1

To be fair, Rel have a great reputation for making reliable subs. I personally would have more faith in a used Rel than any other manufacturer. Faulty Rel subs are relatively rare.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
^Yes that is true, not many reports faulty RELs. Gibbsy had to change some parts to amp, he´s T5 was something like 8years old. It cost under 100£ to fix it. Same thing with BK subs i have seen 10year old models repaired under 100£.

Davekale86

To be fair, Rel have a great reputation for making reliable subs. I personally would have more faith in a used Rel than any other manufacturer. Faulty Rel subs are relatively rare.
Never had one but read good reviews problem with that listing is it’s in Cambridge and I live in Manchester wants collection only plus if I decide to go down the courier route could cost closer to £400 I think I’ll give that one a miss if it was closer then I’d definitely consider it

Davekale86

As I suggested above, the bk Gemini 2. this is the only other option i can think of under £300.

Hi again sorry forgot to mention I already have the Gemini 2 superb sub for the price but seems a bit lacking haha if I can find the Q Acoustics then it’s likely I’m going to get that see if there’s any difference

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hi again sorry forgot to mention I already have the Gemini 2 superb sub for the price but seems a bit lacking haha if I can find the Q Acoustics then it’s likely I’m going to get that see if there’s any difference

It won´t dig any deeper, the difference will come it being ported design so there is bit more rumble and impact, but the bass quality have been quite poor wheb compared to larger BKs (sealed).

So your plan is bit of sideway move. The KLH model is going to shook your room the most if you are after that. I had Gem II too in many rooms, but it was too polite. I can say that the KLH will be quite different as long you can place it in good spot.

Davekale86

It won´t dig any deeper, the difference will come it being ported design so there is bit more rumble and impact, but the bass quality have been quite poor wheb compared to larger BKs (sealed).

So your plan is bit of sideway move. The KLH model is going to shook your room the most if you are after that. I had Gem II too in many rooms, but it was too polite. I can say that the KLH will be quite different as long you can place it in good spot.
Looking around the Q Acoustics is £329 on a website I’ve checked EBay only had second hand ones so unless they get anymore stock in before Tues think I’m gonna go down the Klh Route probably gonna be a massive upgrade but might be worth it

David Alexander

Apologies for that, wasn't up with the rules. Technically it hasn't been up for sale but I'll start a classified thread accordingly.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Ruark introduces R5 Signature audio player
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JBL launches compact 4309 Studio Monitor speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL launches TS8132 Dolby Atmos soundbar