1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by uretsai, Apr 30, 2005.

1. uretsai

uretsai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    is it really worth going for the svs pb12, over the b&w asw675?

need help in deciding. got £600-700 to spend. for use with homecinema and music

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In terms of sheer output, depth and lack of distortion there is no comparison between the two as the SVS will beat the B&W hands down in every department.

They are an unsual pair that you have picked for comparison as the B&W is a compact sub which is normally bought by those people who either don't want or can't fit in a proper sized sub whilst part of the reason for SVS's supremacy is down to the sheer size of the cabinet as it is considerably larger than the B&W.

3. uretsai

uretsai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i was going to buy the b&w due to it matching the rest of my setup. but everyone on these forums seem to like the svs's.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Either sub will match your main speakers sonically as you don't have to worry about tonal matching in a subwoofer but merely it's ability to play well up to your desired crossover.

5. uretsai

uretsai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    too much choice now, i think i might go for the cylinder you have now. is the ultra cone that much better?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The differences will not be very noticeable at ordinary listening levels but the Ultra will start to show it's superiority at high volume levels and in larger rooms.

To put it in perspective the 20-39 PC Plus is an exceptional value for money subwoofer to start with and would be considered high end in most aspects except price.

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    You wont get better performance than the 20-39 pc+ for £700 its a superb performer for me the tube svs seem to be the easiest to intergrate in to a system,I have also owned the little b&w sub which is good but not able to keep up with the svs.
    So if you dont mind how the tube looks (i dont) buy the 20-39pc+ you will not be dissapointed.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

8. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've also owned a '675. I've got a PB12-U/2 now, which is obviously MUCH more capable, but HUGELY bigger + more expensive.

Any SVS u get will be more capable than the b+w in the first ocatave because of their size advantage. The b+w is a very good performer for its size, but an SVS will be louder and more effortless. The b+w will sound different to an SVS though- audition one and see if u like it and if it's enough for you. Someone might let u listen to their SVS to compare.

I went for the ultra driver because I thought the b+w was very good with music and I didn't want to lose that capability.

A tube will be easier to move about when finding the best location, but my PB integrated well in the first position i put it in. (I have tried another but it sounded worse!)

You could do a lot worse than either of these routes though. Hope u find happiness with what u buy!

9. uretsai

uretsai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    the height of the 20-39 im worried about now. might even have to settle for the 25-31+ (she says its the same height as the soundstyle dvd rack i have). see what i can do with the missus